Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 ridgeline. Love it. Bought it used, decided to do a transmission fluid change today. Drained the fluid. Added 3.25 quarts of genuine honda atf. Took it for a 3 mile test drive. Checked the fluid. It was just a hair below the bottom hole/hot line, and foamy. So I added a 1/2 quart. Checked it again. Now it's just a hair above the top full line. Should I drain a little, or not worry about it. Any concern with the foam. Thanks for the answes. Charles

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You should buy 6 or 7 more quarts and do it again the next two weekend's. If you never changed it you have two different fluids in there. Good to do anyway really.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,871 Posts
I find that adding 3.5 qts after a drain brings my level between the low and full marks. As you found, the two lines are not a qt apart, but much less than that. Do you know the maintenance history on your RL?

Agree with above recommendation that you should do multiple D&Fs to effect the changeover from the old ATF Z1 to the new DW-1 fluid. Drive some in between changes exercising all gears to get a good fluid mix. (I typically drive a week between changes when doing the changeover). But it may be easier to do it all in a day so you don't have so much prep and cleanup time. 4 D&Fs will bring you to about 88% DW-1.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=647265&postcount=13

Since you are a DIYer, buy a case of DW-1. My local dealer will pricematch my online prices (including shipping). Buy it online if your dealer is not cooperative.

Welcome to the ROC.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,381 Posts
For me 3.5 is almost exact. The other question is did you check it after having brought it up to temp (cooling fans running) which may be difficult this time of year in WI, on a level surface, with the engine off, in park within the first 60-90 seconds of engine shutdown.

Another question do you know if it's the original radiator, and original coolant. If so you may want to consider changing the Radiator out and completing another couple of ATF changes after Rad replacement because of the possibility of SMOD. If you do not know what SMOD is use the blue search bar and read the few threads on the topic, or wait and I'll add links later today.

Here are all the related Radiator and Transmission threads if you haven't found them all.

Happy Reading & Good luck

Radiator Failure @ Cooler Lines

Best Radiator Replacement

Pictures of Corroded/Rusted Radiator Fittings

Radiator Fail on 2006

UOA on ATF

Anatomy of OEM Denso Radiator

Poll(Never Posted) on Radiator/Trans Cooler Solution

Recent Radiator/Transmission SMOD!!!

Radiator comparison: Denso/Spectra/OSC

YouTube Video of Leaking Spectra...

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Agree with above recommendation that you should do multiple D&Fs to effect the changeover from the old ATF Z1 to the new DW-1 fluid. Drive some in between changes exercising all gears to get a good fluid mix. (I typically drive a week between changes when doing the changeover). But it may be easier to do it all in a day so you don't have so much prep and cleanup time. 4 D&Fs will bring you to about 88% DW-1.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=647265&postcount=13

Since you are a DIYer, buy a case of DW-1. My local dealer will pricematch my online prices (including shipping). Buy it online if your dealer is not cooperative.

Welcome to the ROC.
Great information. I didn't realize Honda had changed fluids. I see positive comments about DW-1 posted on BITOG.

I need order some DW-1 and flush the transmission soon.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2479267/2

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Today I changed over the transmission fluid to DW1. The dealer performed the last change so I don't know what they used. I did 5 D&Fs with roughly a 6 mile drive between changes. The transmission does seem to shift smoother like it did when it was new. I found very little sludge on the drain plug magnet.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The dealer only has the new stuff so he used that. 5 was plenty, I thought 3 was enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts