Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered before, I checked in the search and didn't see it.

At 30k(Dec of 2018), I went ahead and changed my transmission fluid. I did a 3x drain and fill and drove 8-10 miles between draining and refilling.

This was probably a bit overkill, it had not come up on the MM yet.

But, I was curious as to how others handle the changing of the transmission fluid. When your MM says to change the fluid, do you all just do a simple drain and fill, or a 3x? I know Honda says to not do a flush, so I don't plan on going down that route.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
On all of my previous Honda's I've done 3x drain-n-fill...with a warm up drive in between...also @30k.
Knock on wood...never had a transmission issue with this procedure.

I think the MM reminder is around 45k...so i would just stick with your 30k cycle and document.
They cant fault you for changing too early. but in my past Honda's... at 30k, that fluid is ready to be changed.
I've seen where they only recommend a 1x single drain-n-fill...but that wont get all the fluid out...neither will 3x, but I just did my CRV trans fluid, and it took 3x to get the bright red fluid color back...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On all of my previous Honda's I've done 3x drain-n-fill...with a warm up drive in between...also @30k.
Knock on wood...never had a transmission issue with this procedure.

I think the MM reminder is around 45k...so i would just stick with your 30k cycle and document.
They cant fault you for changing too early. but in my past Honda's... at 30k, that fluid is ready to be changed.
I've seen where they only recommend a 1x single drain-n-fill...but that wont get all the fluid out...neither will 3x, but I just did my CRV trans fluid, and it took 3x to get the bright red fluid color back...
That's kind of my line of thought.

I wanted a simple way to do everything together. So I did the rear diff at 15k then 30k, I did the transfer case at 30k along with the transmission. So now those 3 'big ticket' items line up to be done together every 30k. My oil gets changed every 6 months which is usually 7500k for me, along with tire rotation and Wiper blades. Every 12 months/15k I do the air filter and in cabin filter.

So it breaks down like

6/7500k: Oil/Tire rotation/Wiper blades

12/15k: Oil/tire/wiper/Air-Cabin filter

17/22.5k: Oil/Tire/Wiper blades

24/30K: Oil/Tires/Wiper Blades/Air and cabin filters/trans/transfer case/rear diff.

So on and so on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
How did your transmission fluid look at 30k? Trying to decide if I should change mine now (just hit 30k) or wait for the MM.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did your transmission fluid look at 30k? Trying to decide if I should change mine now (just hit 30k) or wait for the MM.
Mine was pretty dark. After the third drain and fill it was almost new. If I recall, a 3x gets you about 90% new fluid.

·
Registered
903 Posts
EDITED TO CORRECT ERROR IN ORIGINAL POST

The Honda service procedure specified when MM indicates ATF replacement is 1x D&F. More from those Honda Service Manual procedure pages …
D&F quantity for both FWD & AWD is 3.1 - 3.3 L
Overhaul quantity for FWD is 7.2 - 7.7 L
Overhaul quantity for AWD is 7.7 - 8.2 L

Using the "Partial Drain Calculator" found on BITOG, assuming 3.3 L per D&F against 8.2 L total capacity, the diminishing return 'new fluid ratio' for each incremental D&F (with thorough mixing between each) is as follows

1 ~ 40% (recommended at MM indication)
2 ~ 64%
3 ~ 79%
4 ~ 87%
5 ~ 92%
6 ~ 95%
7 ~ 97%
8 ~ 98%
9 ~ 99%

While we're at it, for the transfer assembly ….
D&F quantity is 0.43 L
Overhaul quantity is 0.45 L

1 ~ 96%

And, for the rear differential ….
D&F quantity is 1.82 L
Overhaul quantity is 2.33 L

1 ~ 78% (recommended at MM indication)
2 ~ 95%
3 ~ 99%

Just FYI :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Honda service procedure specified when MM indicates ATF replacement is 3x D&F. More from those Honda Service Manual procedure pages …
D&F quantity for both FWD & AWD is 3.1 - 3.3 L
Overhaul quantity for FWD is 7.2 - 7.7 L
Overhaul quantity for AWD is 7.7 - 8.2 L

Using the "Partial Drain Calculator" found on BITOG, assuming 3.3 L per D&F against 8.2 L total capacity, the diminishing return 'fresh blend ratio' for each incremental D&F (with thorough mixing between each) is as follows

1 ~ 40%
2 ~ 64%
3 ~ 79%
4 ~ 87%
5 ~ 92%
6 ~ 95%
7 ~ 97%
8 ~ 98%
9 ~ 99%

While we're at it, for the rear differential ….
D&F quantity is 1.82 L
Overhaul quantity is 2.33 L

1 ~ 78%
2 ~ 95%
3 ~ 99%

Just FYI :)
Thank you for this information.

Side note, would you happen to know where I could find similar information for my finances 2018 Honda civic ex sedan(2.0L cvt)

·
Registered
173 Posts
The reason Ive stuck with the 30k is that on my wifes 2001 Odyssey, there was a transmission recall.
It was an inspection only...they looked inside for signs of overheating, if nothing wrong, they installed a "Jet kit",
to help spray the fluid in hard to reach areas i guess. If they found any signs of damage, they would replace the tranny.
At the time we had about 45k...the Honda mechanic told me to stick closer to 30k. So that's what Ive done...

·
Registered
72 Posts
When doing a drain/refill, are you effectively buying 3x the ammount of fluid you need and trashing the fluid from the first two cycles?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When doing a drain/refill, are you effectively buying 3x the ammount of fluid you need and trashing the fluid from the first two cycles?
When I do a drain and fill, in between draining and filling I'm driving 8-10 miles to warm the transmission up, move the fluid around and mix in the old stuff with the new stuff before draining it again.

So I'd say some of the new stuff is coming out. But a few posts up it shows that doing a 3x drain and fill is pretty effective in getting out most of the old fluid.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Centex I think you need to recheck your info . . .
Does the GenII transmission maintenance really call for a 3x dump and fill or are you reading the procedure for ATF replacement in the service manual for when there is an actual reason to purge damaged fluid???
A 3X dump and fill was NEVER called for in routine maintenance for the GenI and I was under the impression that the GenII was the same. A 3x dump and fill procedure is a world more of a PIA than the 1x and uses a ton of expensive fluid and labor (if you aren't doing it). The only time multiple dump in fills were really needed on the GenI were if you had a reason to believe that your transmission fluid has overheated or its changing has been neglected. Also on the GenI when the DW1 fluid became available, it was common practice to do multiple dump and fills to "switch over" from the original Z1 fluid. Also if you had a SMOD incident. . .
I'm not a betting man but if I was I would bet good sum that a SINGLE DUMP AND FILL IS ALL THAT IS REQUIRED BY HONDA and y'all are wasting money, time and generating a bunch of uneeded waste. . .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The reason Ive stuck with the 30k is that on my wifes 2001 Odyssey, there was a transmission recall.
It was an inspection only...they looked inside for signs of overheating, if nothing wrong, they installed a "Jet kit",
to help spray the fluid in hard to reach areas i guess. If they found any signs of damage, they would replace the tranny.
At the time we had about 45k...the Honda mechanic told me to stick closer to 30k. So that's what Ive done...
I remember hearing some horror stories with the V6 AT transmissions honda had been using(accords come most to mind). So I figure for peace of mind, I'd do it a bit early. Some may say it's a waste. But it's worth it to me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does the GenII transmission maintenance really call for a 3x dump and fill or are you reading the procedure for ATF replacement in the service manual for when there is an actual reason to purge damaged fluid???
A 3X dump and fill was NEVER called for in routine maintenance for the GenI and I was under the impression that the GenII was the same. A 3x dump and fill procedure is a world more of a PIA than the 1x and uses a ton of expensive fluid and labor (if you aren't doing it). The only time multiple dump in fills were really needed on the GenI were if you had a reason to believe that your transmission fluid has overheated or its changing has been neglected. Also on the GenI when the DW1 fluid became available, it was common practice to do multiple dump and fills to "switch over" from the original Z1 fluid. Also if you had a SMOD incident. . .
I'm not a betting man but if I was I would say that a SINGLE DUMP AND FILL IS ALL THAT IS REQUIRED BY HONDA and y'all are wasting money, time and generating a bunch of uneeded waste. . .
Personally, I'd rather spend an extra couple of bucks on fluid rather than have a transmission bill of 4k. I do the work myself. It's really not that much work. I drive it up on ramps, dump fluid, put new fluid in, drive 15 Mins, repeat two more times. Takes me about 60 Mins of my time every 24-30 months.

1x drain and fill would require 4 bottles at 7 dollars a pop = 28 bucks.(3.3 to be used)

3x drain and fill requires 10 bottles at 7 a pop. 70 bucks. So for 42 more bucks every two years, not a huge price difference, imo.(9.9 to be used)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Personally, I'd rather spend an extra couple of bucks on fluid rather than have a transmission bill of 4k. I do the work myself. It's really not that much work. I drive it up on ramps, dump fluid, put new fluid in, drive 15 Mins, repeat two more times. Takes me about 60 Mins of my time every 24-30 months.

1x drain and fill would require 4 bottles at 7 dollars a pop = 28 bucks.(3.3 to be used)

3x drain and fill requires 10 bottles at 7 a pop. 70 bucks. So for 42 more bucks every two years, not a huge price difference, imo.(9.9 to be used)

Your perogative but this thread is suggesting that it is Honda procedure and I'm saying that ain't likely . . .Unless I'm wrong . . .But I don't think I am . . .

BTW; I think a more reasonable system is to change the transmission fluid 1x every other oil change.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just an FYI.... not debating this..

This is where the terminology for three drain and fill is coming from. And I understand that this is not a manual for the Ridgeline. But this has been the procedure on all of the Honda is that I’ve owned in the past. This is my 2006 owners manual for my CRV. I just did a 3x drain fill on it.. current mileage 120k.... no shifting issues. Honestly, the first drain looked like motor oil, after 3x, bright red and ready to go. I know color isn’t everything... I’ll try to find a picture... it was nasty!

Now there is a schedule for normal or severe driving conditions. So when you change would be dependent on usage.. towing etc... severe for my crv is 60k, then every 30k.
But like I mentioned... Honda techs have always told me, even if I’m doing it myself, 30k.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Ridgeline is not the CRV. Transmission fluid service is sub code 6 (wrong, I should have said 3) on the maintenance minder. Honda Owners.com shows that the fluid capacity for the performing sub code 6 (wrong, I should have said 3) on a 17 Ridgeline is 3.3 quarts which means a SINGLE dump and fill.

I'm still waiting for Centex to explain where he got his info and I don't have GenII owners manual handy but if you are following Honda's maintenance schedule and Honda's maintenance procedures you will be doing single dump and fill of your transmission fluid approximately every 45k.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I remember hearing some horror stories with the V6 AT transmissions honda had been using(accords come most to mind). So I figure for peace of mind, I'd do it a bit early. Some may say it's a waste. But it's worth it to me.

That was the 6th Gen Accord from late 90s/ early 00s, along with Odysseys from that era. I drive a 6th Gen, but it's a manual. I think Honda sorted out the issues by the 7th Gen.

My wife has a 8th Gen Accord (2008) with 5AT. It now has 140k on it with no trans issues (and it's only been changed once, at 90k). It also has the early 3, 4, 6 VCM and she has had no issues with that, either, but she drives it pretty hard on local trips, and most of the miles are long highway trips.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ridgeline is not the CRV. Transmission fluid service is sub code 6 on the maintenance minder. Honda Owners.com shows that the fluid capacity for the performing sub code 6 on a 17 Ridgeline is 3.3 quarts which means a SINGLE dump and fill.

I'm still waiting for Centex to explain where he got his info and I don't have GenII owners manual handy but if you are following Honda's maintenance schedule and Honda's maintenance procedures you will be doing single dump and fill of your transmission fluid approximately every 45k.
Not sure exactly where you got your information on that site but right from the owners manual says it's sub code 3, not 6. 6 is the rear diff.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ridgeline is not the CRV. Transmission fluid service is sub code 6 on the maintenance minder. Honda Owners.com shows that the fluid capacity for the performing sub code 6 on a 17 Ridgeline is 3.3 quarts which means a SINGLE dump and fill.

I guess you missed the part that the image was just an FYI. A reference of where the three drain and fills came from. I believe I stated that this was from my crv manual... so I probably know the difference. It was the same procedure with my wife’s Odyssey, 3.5l v6 and 6spd AT... And I clearly stated that I am not debating this. It was just for information.

My wife’s current 6sp Mazda CX-9 states that no service is required. It’s sealed. Just drive it. The word transmission is not even in the manual. But after talking w other owners and dealers. At 60k miles. I paid for a drain n fill. Per Mazda mechanics recommendations. They were seeing issues at around 75k. She now has 100k. No issues.
So everyone make there own best decision on the maintenance you perform.

·
Registered
903 Posts
EDIT, RETRACTION, AND APOLOGY - upon a 3rd re-read of the SM procedure I must agree with @eurban that the procedure associated with the standard MM ATF "replacement" indicator calls for a SINGLE (one) iteration of D&F.

I'll edit my first post accordingly, with thanks to @eurban for forcing me to revisit that text.

I had indeed confused that document with a document relating to damaged transmission fluid replacement, so again I apologize for the confusion I caused.

Accuracy matters on this forum, and I blew it :mad: (mad at myself)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts