Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
After some more research, I'm going to assume this is the 3.3 qt he is referring to.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Not sure exactly where you got your information on that site but right from the owners manual says it's sub code 3, not 6. 6 is the rear diff.

Yes I mistakenly wrote code 6 instead of 3. Code 3 is the transmission and transfer case fluid "change." As I said it is specced at 3.3 quarts which is a SINGLE D&F.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes I mistakenly wrote code 6 instead of 3. Code 3 is the transmission and transfer case fluid "change." As I said it is specced at 3.3 quarts which is a SINGLE D&F.
I honestly didn't expect it to change into this huge thing. So basically what I take from your writing is that when you do your transmission fluid change, you opt for the 1x as your preferred method and it's what you believe Honda calls for based on what you've read and in personal experience.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I guess you missed the part that the image was just an FYI. A reference of where the three drain and fills came from. I believe I stated that this was from my crv manual... so I probably know the difference. It was the same procedure with my wife’s Odyssey, 3.5l v6 and 6spd AT... And I clearly stated that I am not debating this. It was just for information.

My wife’s current 6sp Mazda CX-9 states that no service is required. It’s sealed. Just drive it. The word transmission is not even in the manual. But after talking w other owners and dealers. At 60k miles. I paid for a drain n fill. Per Mazda mechanics recommendations. They were seeing issues at around 75k. She now has 100k. No issues.
So everyone make there own best decision on the maintenance you perform.
Didn't miss it. I do think it is just muddying the waters here though and adding to the incorrect information . . . Honda's Ridgeline / Pilot (6At) procedures are what they are and there is no 3xD&F specified for regular transmission maintenance.
Changing the transmission fluid more often than Honda specifies is certain to cost you more money, time and generate more waste. Its less certain whether or not it will actually lead to prolonged transmission life. Hopefully it is not needed on the 6AT. The 5AT on the GenI seems to do just fine with the Honda schedule / procedure.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I honestly didn't expect it to change into this huge thing. So basically what I take from your writing is that when you do your transmission fluid change, you opt for the 1x as your preferred method and it's what you believe Honda calls for based on what you've read and in personal experience.

Its not that it is my preferred method and its not what I "believe" to be the Honda method. . .IT IS THE HONDA APPROVED METHOD.

I realize that you are pretty much just talking about what you yourself do, but you and this thread are also essentially providing advice / information to others on proper transmission servicing. That information was at least in part wrong.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Its not that it is my preferred method and its not what I "believe" to be the Honda method. . .IT IS THE HONDA APPROVED METHOD.

I realize that you are pretty much just talking about what you yourself do, but you and this thread are also providing advice / information to others on proper transmission servicing. That information was at least in part wrong.
When did I specifically say anyone should do a 3x drain and fill? I said that's what I do. I also asked what others do. You seem to be getting angry over a silly debate. Not sure why.

If you want to be specific, the only information given, is that the MM will tell you when to maintain the transmission fluid and how much fluid it will take at one time without over filling. It does not say only do it once, or twice, or three times. It is reasonable to believe that them not adding do it 3 times means only doing it once. But since you're attempting to live in absolute.. it doesn't specify your opinion as an actual fact.

A service advisor at my local Honda dealer whom I trust, gave me 2 options when I inquired about transmission services. A 1x drain and fill or a flush. When I said I was under the impression that Honda did not want their transmissions being flushed, They added that the flush is not an actual machine flush but a 3x drain and fill. It was 105 for a 1x and 220 for the flush aka 3x drain and fill.

So to me, that is subject to opinion. If it wasn't Honda approved method, why would the dealership do it? Are you saying you know more about Honda than the dealers? Are you the Honda whisperer?

You're entitled to your opinion just like others are entitled to theirs. No need to get so cranky over a freaking suggestion.

People can spend their money how they see fit. As I've said, I would rather spend 42 more dollars every 30k, if it meant possibly.. Saving 4k on a transmission rebuild. Is this the actual case? I don't know. But, I'd rather not find out.

I'm done debating this with you.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

I realize that you are pretty much just talking about what you yourself do, but you and this thread are also essentially providing advice / information to others on proper transmission servicing. That information was at least in part wrong.
I appreciate the tact and accuracy of your posts. Thanks again.

Sorry for the misunderstandings and friction rooted in my original error, none of it your doing IMO.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
When did I specifically say anyone should do a 3x drain and fill? I said that's what I do. I also asked what others do. You seem to be getting angry over a silly debate. Not sure why.

If you want to be specific, the only information given, is that the MM will tell you when to maintain the transmission fluid and how much fluid it will take at one time without over filling. It does not say only do it once, or twice, or three times. It is reasonable to believe that them not adding do it 3 times means only doing it once. But since you're attempting to live in absolute.. it doesn't specify your opinion as an actual fact.

A service advisor at my local Honda dealer whom I trust, gave me 2 options when I inquired about transmission services. A 1x drain and fill or a flush. When I said I was under the impression that Honda did not want their transmissions being flushed, They added that the flush is not an actual machine flush but a 3x drain and fill. It was 105 for a 1x and 220 for the flush aka 3x drain and fill.

So to me, that is subject to opinion. If it wasn't Honda approved method, why would the dealership do it? Are you saying you know more about Honda than the dealers? Are you the Honda whisperer?

You're entitled to your opinion just like others are entitled to theirs. No need to get so cranky over a freaking suggestion.

People can spend their money how they see fit. As I've said, I would rather spend 42 more dollars every 30k, if it meant possibly.. Saving 4k on a transmission rebuild. Is this the actual case? I don't know. But, I'd rather not find out.

I'm done debating this with you.

Not cranky or angry. You did ask the question and now you have an answer as to what the Honda procedure is. You can believe / follow it or not. You are not alone in the "over maintaining" camp but are the first I have seen here who do multiple dump and fills as part of the routine maintenance.

I've been around here for 10 years and have and still own a GenI. I have been discussing and performing Ridgeline maintenance since I bought my first one in 2005. I have also had a number of experiences with dealerships and they are interested in selling you services and are often completely ignorant about the products they sell and service. That said, your guy may well be trustworthy and may think that it is a good idea to "overmaintain." Honda and dealerships are two completely different things.

Please understand that I do feel that it is important to have correct info on this forum.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Having a flush done at a Honda dealership isn't a bad thing. They use a machine that uses ATF only, no chemicals. The machine heats the ATF & circulates it through the transmission, while being filtered by the flush machine.
We have an '03 Pilot with 186k. miles on it. The transmission has never given symptoms. It has the 2nd gear jet kit installed. I have never gone over 15k. miles with out doing a drain & fill, It's never been flushed. I think that if your fluid is coming out looking like engine oil, it's been in there too long. In which case, I'd recommend a flush. None of the other techs I've worked with follow the Honda service interval for ATF change, either. So...
I plan to continue my 15k. ATF D & F on our new 2019 Ridgeline Sport.
I've been retired since '08, so there's much to learn about these "Modern" cars. Like, why can't I have a normal, put key in hole to start?😆

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Having a flush done at a Honda dealership isn't a bad thing. They use a machine that uses ATF only, no chemicals. The machine heats the ATF & circulates it through the transmission, while being filtered by the flush machine.
We have an '03 Pilot with 186k. miles on it. The transmission has never given symptoms. It has the 2nd gear jet kit installed. I have never gone over 15k. miles with out doing a drain & fill, It's never been flushed. I think that if your fluid is coming out looking like engine oil, it's been in there too long. In which case, I'd recommend a flush. None of the other techs I've worked with follow the Honda service interval for ATF change, either. So...
I plan to continue my 15k. ATF D & F on our new 2019 Ridgeline Sport.
I've been retired since '08, so there's much to learn about these "Modern" cars. Like, why can't I have a normal, put key in hole to start?😆
Here's a couple of many threads discussing transmission flushing.
Honda's transmissions (5at and 6at on the Ridgelines) are a bit of an odd bird in the car world (more like an automated manual transmission) and a power transmission flush is not recommended by Honda as it can damage some of the delicate internals. Dump and fills are the officially recommended procedure. A "bladder" method can also be used where the transmission's own pump pulls in clean fluid from the bladder and a bucket is used to catch the old fluid that is being pumped out.

Dealers will routinely offer and perform power flushes in spite of Honda's own warnings on the subject.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Honda automatic transmissions are the weak link in their vehicles. I do a 1x at each oil change while I’m under the veh (I have a 2007 RTS). Always keeps the fluid fresh and only takes a couple of minutes. Each of you certainly can do as you wish but preventing potential problems is always the best medicine. I buy Honda fluids off the internet because my local dealer won’t match my internet price. based on the history of these trannys you should only use Honda’s fluids. i also have a 2015 MDX FWD and when I changed fluid at 24k it was pretty dark so I did a 2X change and will also be changing that 1X at each oil change. Fluids are relatively cheap and time to change is minimal.

You think Honda fluid changes are bad check the YouTube videos on Subaru CVTs. Crazy complicated and why I no longer consider Suby as a possibe veh for me. Also see videos on Toyota engine filters. Some vehicles no longer use a Fram type canister filter but now use a complicated cartridge type filter. That change knocked it off my list too. The only reason I can see for these changes is the owner will be forced to go to the dealer for maintenance, and who wants to do that if you can DIY? Just sayin...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Honda automatic transmissions are the weak link in their vehicles. I do a 1x at each oil change while I’m under the veh (I have a 2007 RTS). Always keeps the fluid fresh and only takes a couple of minutes. Each of you certainly can do as you wish but preventing potential problems is always the best medicine. I buy Honda fluids off the internet because my local dealer won’t match my internet price. based on the history of these trannys you should only use Honda’s fluids. i also have a 2015 MDX FWD and when I changed fluid at 24k it was pretty dark so I did a 2X change and will also be changing that 1X at each oil change. Fluids are relatively cheap and time to change is minimal.

You think Honda fluid changes are bad check the YouTube videos on Subaru CVTs. Crazy complicated and why I no longer consider Suby as a possibe veh for me. Also see videos on Toyota engine filters. Some vehicles no longer use a Fram type canister filter but now use a complicated cartridge type filter. That change knocked it off my list too. The only reason I can see for these changes is the owner will be forced to go to the dealer for maintenance, and who wants to do that if you can DIY? Haven’t seen any videos on changing Honda CVT fluid yet.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was happy to see the 6AT in the RL when I bought mine. Still serviceable and has a dipstick!
My wife’s 2010 cx9 6AT is dealer only service. Or at least it’s not something you want to try at home.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The way I read the screenshot of the 2006 CRV owner's manual above, the 3x drain and fill procedure should be performed only if DEXRON II was added to the ATF-Z1 fluid, which could affect shift quality. The 3x is to get all of the DEXRON II out. Was this your point? That a 3x D&F would get all the fluid out and not a 9x?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Transmission Fluid question.

I've gleaned over many of the Transmission threads in this forum and have never seen posts about "compatible" or "equivalent" transmission fluid types. (Plenty of banter about engine oil preferences versus Honda OEM motor oil).

I'd appreciate learning about what over the counter ATF Fluids are equal or better than Honda OEM for Gen2 Ridgelines.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts