Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving, the connection between the transmission fluid line and the radiator broke and all transmission fluid and radiator fluid leaked out. Ridgeline was towed to Honda dealer and initially told that this was due to corrosion and it would not be under the warranty and that I may have to change the transmission. I will know more in the next few days. Although the truck is more than five years old, it only has 84,000kms. I use it as a second vehicle.

Daniel

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,363 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Did they tow it with all four wheels off the ground ?

What tipped you off that the tranny went empty ? How many miles long was the trail?

:act014:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm a Honda Tech, and I have had one RL come in with the same problem. I put a radiator in it only, and it was fine. As long as you were not trying to move it, it probably should be fine. Have them start with the radiator and road test it before you spend the $$ on a trans.

The line breaks off right at the radiator, there is a line that threads into the radiator which the trans hoses attaches to. The line breaks out of the radiator.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,363 Posts
I'm a Honda Tech, and I have had one RL come in with the same problem. I put a radiator in it only, and it was fine. As long as you were not trying to move it, it probably should be fine. Have them start with the radiator and road test it before you spend the $$ on a trans.

The line breaks off right at the radiator, there is a line that threads into the radiator which the trans hoses attaches to. The line breaks out of the radiator.
Did it look like this?
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=525309&postcount=6

·
Administrator
7,334 Posts
I wouldn't call this a common problem with the Ridgeline, but it's not that unusual either.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So how does this "corrosion" happen? Is it internal or external, does it depend on the interval of replacing transmission fluid and/or coolant or something else?

·
Super Moderator
5,463 Posts
The thought of this happening on my RL is not very comforting. Seems like a poor design to me, sorry Honda.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
From the previous case:

I believe that its was mostly agreed at the time that some how an improper washer was installed at some point.

My truck has what appears to be a thin stainless steel washer and shows no signs of corrosion. A dissolving steel washer could certainly swell to the point where it pulled out the threads and that's what appears to me to be what happened.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
My heart is broken... it just happened to me at 113K miles. It ran until the tranny stopped functioning when the the fluid leaked on the ground and into the cooling system. $900 later is it running, but the tranny is not the same - it slips and lightly bangs at certain slower RPMs. Not severe, but not perfect as it was. I'm bummed.

Cheap metal fittings in plastic with high heat? This is a recipe for disaster - and was.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's to bad, my tranny leaked all of it's fluid out also, but due to a wreck and dumb tow truck driver. I was worried about the tranny as well but mine seems to be perfect still. Are you sure the fluid is at it's proper level now? Dealers are bad about improper filling of fluids.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Oh, right next to the drain plug, just like I thought, so freaking hard to take a look down there without taking the lower cover and who knows what else. I wonder if there is a replacement washer to prevent this before it happens.

Any ideas or proper steps to take what is necessary to have a better access view of this line?

As far and the tranny not being the same or having shifting issues, I also recommend to check the level, a slight lower level can cause shifting out of normal operation.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Not saying the problem doesn't exist, not implying that at all, but the case with the pictures was never explaind to my satisfaction. The pictures seem to show a second washer that is not installed on my truck, and ive been all over those fittings while installing a tranny filter. My truck has what appears to be a single relatively thin probably SS washer. The pics seem to show an additional washer that expanded when it rusted and pulled the fitting out. The pics also seem to show some sort of thread lock. It also appears like the fitting uses an o ring not a washer or pipe threads for sealing, so overtightening would only serve to strip out the threads, and both threads are in metal not plastic as stated, so catastrophic failure as opposed to a leak would seem to indicate thread failure which most likely be do to over tightening or original defect somewhere. A lot of "seems" here, but for the photo case, it looks like the failure had some outside help, in my opinion

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello i am new to this great sight.I came across the same problem.I couldn't believe what i was seeing. At first i thought i only blew a hose then i looked even harder and i found that the line blew right out of my radiator oil tank for the transmission also the core split at the same time thank good i was close to home and caught it as soon as it happened.How ever i feel that this should be covered under a recall this defective radiator seems to be a MAJOR defect that can passably ruin the transmission & cause major engine problems like cracked heads or warped heads from over heating.Now my truck has only 62,000 miles on it and i must say i am very disgusted over this.I went & ordered a new radiator from a different manufacture to avoid Honda defective design.How ever i went to get Honda fluids i wouldn't want to void my transmission warranty.I am going to call about this i feel i should be reimbursed at least for the parts.Also i am going to tell them this should be part of a recall.The reason this is defective is due to the thread on the fitting being soft it can't withstand pressure like that for 40 years manufactures used brass to that reason.That is why brass is used for compression fittings they are made to withstand pressure unlike aluminum.I have started a case with American Honda & if they wont show any loyalty to their customers by issuing a recall for this catastrophic problem I am filing a complaint with the better business bureau against them and so should everyone else who has had the same problem.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Hello i am new to this great sight.I came across the same problem.I couldn't believe what i was seeing. At first i thought i only blew a hose then i looked even harder and i found that the line blew right out of my radiator oil tank for the transmission also the core split at the same time thank good i was close to home and caught it as soon as it happened.How ever i feel that this should be covered under a recall this defective radiator seems to be a MAJOR defect that can passably ruin the transmission & cause major engine problems like cracked heads or warped heads from over heating.Now my truck has only 62,000 miles on it and i must say i am very disgusted over this.I went & ordered a new radiator from a different manufacture to avoid Honda defective design.How ever i went to get Honda fluids i wouldn't want to void my transmission warranty.I am going to call about this i feel i should be reimbursed at least for the parts.Also i am going to tell them this should be part of a recall.The reason this is defective is due to the thread on the fitting being soft it can't withstand pressure like that for 40 years manufactures used brass to that reason.That is why brass is used for compression fittings they are made to withstand pressure unlike aluminum.I have started a case with American Honda & if they wont show any loyalty to their customers by issuing a recall for this catastrophic problem I am filing a complaint with the better business bureau against them and so should everyone else who has had the same problem.
Yes! thanks for making an effort and I hope they listen to all complaints and make a difference, what will push it more would be not focusing on the car damage but if you make it sound like it could be a personal safety issue, otherwise they will not care to do anything if it is just a mechanical issue, you need to add some personal drama that your life was in danger to make Honda care more and make it a recall. :act035:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I took the defective radiator to Honda and spoke with their customer relations rep. I informed them that i have a open case with American Honda.Unfortunately the American Honda rep was gone to another dealer for a few days.I presented my case to them anyhow and informed them about their defective product.They are going to review this case And inspect this radiator to see what the problem is.Even though i already know what has happened.Imagine this when my new after market radiator came in low and behold it had brass fittings go figure. They have been doing this long enough to know that's what belongs there.The best part is the radiator was more than 50% less $148.00 from advanced auto . Honda wants almost $400.00 for a defective one that wont last 5 yrs.Now of course i used Honda fluids like they suggest how ever $85.00 for 4 qts of ATF & 2 gal of antifreeze is crazy. Some things you just cant avoid there is no after market substitution for their fluids.Any way only time will tell if Honda will show any loyalty to their customers and resolve this problem. I know personally that as a mechanic i have never seen this in twenty years.And this can cause major damage to your person & to your vehicle.Laserguy Is correct about this also being a danger to the driver & passengers if you are on the highway driving at 65mph and the transmission locks up look out the wheels will lock up also and cause a spin out.so be care full to place the shifter into neutral and coast to the side of the road if you notice the transmission jerking or slipping in time before it is to late.I Have also noticed that Honda has deceptively told a few people on this sight that this was a corrosion problem they are full of sh** if you get my drift.I have never heard of such crap. even if you dumped radiator sealer in this wouldn't happen the transmission oil lines are separate from the antifreeze . Not only that but both have oils in them to prevent corrosion so they are just blowing smoke up your back side. This kind of thing makes me mad i am tired of dealers & other mechanics making up things just to cover their mistakes. There is a cause & effect to every thing of course but don't guess at it find out what really happened and fix the problem right don't just through parts at it and say it's fixed what made it break in the first place. then you can identify the problem and fix it right.Dealers prey on people who aren't mechanically inclined & take advantage of them especially women.I never let my wife take her car to anyone even for tires or small things. all they see is dollar signs when they see women.Well i hope this puts some perspective out there for the people on this sight.Also for the people out there who use to do it your self but are afraid that new cars,trucks etc. are to advanced to be fixed. Just remember this the basics are still the same just some small changes it is still a engine it just has some electronic parts now & if the check engine light comes on go to your local parts store they will scan your vehicle for free. Why pay $50 or $100 when they will do it free after all they want your sale.Ok everyone have a great day.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
nluc1. I appreciate your posts on the radiator/trans issue, but if you talk like you post, you could get a job reading disclaimers on radio ads. You've gotta slow down and add some spacing.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hi,

since you are doing so much of the work, do you happen to have any pictures.

Certainly lots of folks would be very interested. Pictures up to now seem to show failures caused by someone doing work after original assy. The one showing the corroded washer definitely has an extra washer that's not on my truck. Having said that there seems to be enough reported failures to be concerned, and pictures would help all of us to know what to look for.

I'm trying to understand how the fitting would pull out unless it was overtightened, even if it was at the factory. The reason Im wondering is that this seems to be an O ring seal, not a sealing washer or some type of compression fitting. That means that there isn't that much stress on the threads, and unless they seized or were overtightened, it hard to see how they would pull out. Other thoughts / comments, am I missing something obvious? If so, please set me straight!

Thanks

1 - 20 of 147 Posts