Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

G2 transmission issues: Select the option that matches your Speed/drivetype/issue.

• 6spd - FWD - Solenoid replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6spd - FWD - Torque converter replaced

• 6spd - FWD - Transmission replaced

• 9spd - AWD - Solenoid replaced

• 9spd - AWD - Torque converter replaced

• 9spd - AWD - Transmission replaced

• 9spd - FWD - Solenoid replaced

• 9spd - FWD - Torque converter replaced

• 9spd - FWD - Transmission replaced

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Below is a survey for anyone with a G2 that has had to have transmission service performed (other than general maintenance). This is to go along with the list of transmission failures that Roger has documented on another post.
Some of you may have already seen the survey on the fb page... This is to get input from others on the ROC forum.

Not trying to beat this into the ground...just trying to drill down a little deeper from the last poll and understand what type of issues have been seen...and on which model it happens the most frequent.

The poll will be broken down into: 6/9 speed - Awd/Fwd - Issue type...

Feel free to add to the list. The more we break the list down, better the data... (even if it is only for our personal use)
*Even better would be to post in the comments, Year, Model, Speed 6/9, Issue, Mileage and if issue has been resolved to go along with your answer.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
10 Posts
Thank you for putting this together. Not sure if it’s too late but it might be more informative if you separate “No issue” between 6-spd and 9-spd.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for putting this together. Not sure if it’s too late but it might be more informative if you separate “No issue” between 6-spd and 9-spd.
Done! No Issue is now split into 6/9 speed.

Thanks st0921 for the suggestion.
Thanks Roger for the help editing.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
606 Posts
2018RTL-E, 6speed, AWD, 28K miles, no issues. (Yet)

Reactions: YetiXing

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
2017 BE, 40k miles no issues yet. Hope it stays that way.
Going to stay on top of fluid change and hopefully that’ll mitigate any issue or damage.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump to top of list. Please take the time to take the poll. 👍🏻

·
Registered
92 Posts
2020 -E 9spd no issues @~6800mi after first oil change.

Hopefully this gets pinned somewhere cause it may be a while before the 9s start showing their true colors (if any), and folks might not see this post before deciding to make their own.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In addition to the Torque converter shudder @1800rrpm, which the dealer says is normal, now I am experiencing no engagement in reverse (5 to 6 seconds) on cold starts after it sits about 2 to 3 days. If the dealer won't fix the known problem, I have my doubts whether I will get any satisfaction on this one.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
OK, prolly a stupid question, but is the item "Fluid drain-n-fill or software update" based on correcting an issue and not just being done as normal servicing?
Bill

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
10 Posts
@wjfyfe, I think the drain/fill & software update is solution for torque converter lockup issue posted by @zroger73.
On April 13, 2017, Honda released two TSBs for all 2017 Ridgelines. UPDATE: This issue appears to affect all Honda/Acura vehicles with the 6AT dating back to at least 2012.

TSB 17-025 "Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch" and
TSB 17-026 "Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch After Software Update"

Symptom: A judder between 20-60 MPH that feels like a bad torque converter.

Cause: The transmission fluid may deteriorate quicker than expected due to intermittent high heat loads under specific driving conditions.

Solution: Perform a software update and flush (drain and refill twice) the transmission fluid. The software update is supposed to maintain an acceptable fluid temperature under all driving conditions, but some vehicles will still experience the judder and should be flushed (drain and refill three times) again.

Seems like I remember reading a post about a thermal issue related to design that Honda will attempt to patch with a software update a while back, but I was unable to find the post. I wonder if this was the situation that post was referring to. @csimo, do you have any additional details?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In addition to the Torque converter shudder @1800rrpm, which the dealer says is normal, now I am experiencing no engagement in reverse (5 to 6 seconds) on cold starts after it sits about 2 to 3 days. If the dealer won't fix the known problem, I have my doubts whether I will get any satisfaction on this one.
How many miles...has the transmission been serviced..drain n fill...software update?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@wjfyfe, I think the drain/fill & software update is solution for torque converter lockup issue posted by @zroger73.
Yes...not concerned about normal service...just who has had to have service and software update to correct a problem.
Trying to break the issues into categories..to better understand.
If you just had normal service done...then you have "no issues"

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,862 Posts
Even better would be to post in the comments, Year, Model, Speed 6/9, Issue, Mileage
2019 RTL-E (6-speed AWD), ~11k miles, no issue (entered in poll)

·
Registered
186 Posts
No issues here. 2017 RTL-T with 51k miles. Fluid changes per the MM. I tow snowmobiles in the winter, never tow in summer heat.

Mike

·
Registered
275 Posts
No way to capture multiple issue in this. Ultimately my issues did end up with a transmission replacement but they did do a fluid change/SW update first, followed by the valve body solenoid replacement and a few days later the transmission itself. Is it useful to know the progression or just what was required to resolve the problem?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts