Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

G2 transmission issues: Select the option that matches your Speed/drivetype/issue.

• 6spd - AWD - Fluid drain-n-fill or software update

Votes: 30 14.3%
  • 6spd - AWD - Solenoid replaced

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 6spd - AWD - Torque converter replaced

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 6spd - AWD - Transmission replaced

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • 6spd - FWD - Fluid drain-n-fill or software update

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 6spd - FWD - Solenoid replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6spd - FWD - Torque converter replaced

• 6spd - FWD - Transmission replaced

• 9spd - AWD - Fluid drain-n-fill or software update

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 9spd - AWD - Solenoid replaced

• 9spd - AWD - Torque converter replaced

• 9spd - AWD - Transmission replaced

• 9spd - FWD - Fluid drain-n-fill or software update

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 9spd - FWD - Solenoid replaced

• 9spd - FWD - Torque converter replaced

• 9spd - FWD - Transmission replaced

• 6spd - No issues

Votes: 133 63.3%
  • 9spd - No issues

Votes: 30 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,327 Posts
2017 RTL-T (6-speed AWD) with 22K miles. No issues (entered in poll).

Reactions: YetiXing

·
Administrator
16,002 Posts
No way to capture multiple issue in this. Ultimately my issues did end up with a transmission replacement but they did do a fluid change/SW update first, followed by the valve body solenoid replacement and a few days later the transmission itself. Is it useful to know the progression or just what was required to resolve the problem?
My suggestion would be to vote for the most "severe" resolution to date.

For example, if you had a problem and the dealer first tried a flush then a software update then a valve body replacement then a torque converter replacement then ultimately a transmission replacement, I'd vote for the transmission replacement. What say you, @YetiXing?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Even though this survey is just a couple of days old, it appears to be sharing already that the number of folks experiencing transmission issues are few, if not borderline insignificant? If I may add, it also does not reflect the conditions of use before the failure surfaces? I am willing to bet that personally, we will be experiencing several years, and hundreds of thousand miles, with little to no major issues based on the way that we will be driving, and maintaining, our Ridgeline. This is mostly based upon other owners that we have actually conversed with having nothing but phrase for their Ridgelines.

Bill

Added note: Oh, and I forgot about the extended warranty that we purchased, our Ridgeline will most assuredly be the model of dependability as long as it is under warranty! ;)

Bill

·
Administrator
16,002 Posts
Even though this survey is just a couple of days old, it appears to be sharing already that the number of folks experiencing transmission issues are few, if not borderline insignificant? If I may add, it also does not reflect the conditions of use before the failure surfaces? I am willing to bet that personally, we will be experiencing several years, and hundreds of thousand miles, with little to no major issues based on the way that we will be driving, and maintaining, our Ridgeline. This is mostly based upon other owners that we have actually conversed with having nothing but phraise for their Ridgelines.

Bill
Hopefully, you're right. I recall at least two dozen owners on this forum and the Facebook group reporting one or more of the issues listed on this poll. We know of at least 18 transmission replacements - only two of which are reflected in this poll so far.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Even though this survey is just a couple of days old, it appears to be sharing already that the number of folks experiencing transmission issues are few, if not borderline insignificant? If I may add, it also does not reflect the conditions of use before the failure surfaces? I am willing to bet that personally, we will be experiencing several years, and hundreds of thousand miles, with little to no major issues based on the way that we will be driving, and maintaining, our Ridgeline. This is mostly based upon other owners that we have actually conversed with having nothing but phrase for their Ridgelines.

Bill

Added note: Oh, and I forgot about the extended warranty that we purchased, our Ridgeline will most assuredly be the model of dependability as long as it is under warranty! ;)

Bill
While the dataset is still too small to determine how much of an issue the transmission failures are, it sure appears to be trending to it being an absolute nothing burger.

·
Administrator
16,002 Posts
While the dataset is still too small to determine how much of an issue the transmission failures are, it sure appears to be trending to it being an absolute nothing burger.
So, you believe 12.8% of 47 vehicles is trending to be an "absolute nothing burger"? Maybe for Trabant or Yugo. ;)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No way to capture multiple issue in this. Ultimately my issues did end up with a transmission replacement but they did do a fluid change/SW update first, followed by the valve body solenoid replacement and a few days later the transmission itself. Is it useful to know the progression or just what was required to resolve the problem?
Im thinking the end result...transmission replaced. But the details layed out are helpful... Thanks!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My suggestion would be to vote for the most "severe" resolution to date.

For example, if you had a problem and the dealer first tried a flush then a software update then a valve body replacement then a torque converter replacement then ultimately a transmission replacement, I'd vote for the transmission replacement. What say you, @YetiXing?
Same...end result... not what they tried. But the details are usefull...steps taken, etc..

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Is there a way to "pin" this to the top of the new items..so that more people see it and participate?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Another curiosity question, when it comes to attempting to document failures, how accurately does this forum actually represent the general population of Ridgeline owners on a whole?

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 RTS, AWD 6Speed, Judder in transmission in the 35-45 range while maintaining speed, 68k, changed at first interval, and they just did it under warranty yesterday, the problem does seem to be fixed now

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for all the reply's and people taking the poll.... Keep'em coming.

This poll is not to point out a problem...or make honda look bad. It is simply to identify how many "transmission issues" were replacements, how many were able to be fixed with a fluid flush, or small parts change...

Some people on the ROC and FB page seemed to be freaking out about comments made on the G2 transmission.
This poll is just to drill down a little deeper and see the details on issues a little better...

(From what i've seen so far, fluid drain-n-fills a little earlier would prevent some issues, but I know this is a touchy subject because it goes against waiting for the MM system to notify. For various reasons, some owners are not seeing a notification to service...and are going longer than normal. Honda's eat transmission fluid! In some cases being proactive and servicing at 30k will solve allot of problems... but again..thats just my experience with Honda's...)

Hopefully we can eventually reach all the registered G2 owners on the ROC forum and have a little better picture of issues...

·
Registered
8 Posts
++ changing transmission fluid @30K. but im only at 44K on my 17AWD that I got in the summer of 2016. (51 months old)

Reactions: YetiXing

·
Administrator
16,002 Posts
(From what i've seen so far, fluid drain-n-fills a little earlier would prevent some issues, but I know this is a touchy subject because it goes against waiting for the MM system to notify. For various reasons, some owners are not seeing a notification to service...and are going longer than normal. Honda's eat transmission fluid! In some cases being proactive and servicing at 30k will solve allot of problems... but again..thats just my experience with Honda's...)
Did you notice how many transmissions were replaced at less then 30K in the transmission replacement thread?

The mileage isn't available for two of the 18.

So, at least 33% failed before 30K and 63% failed at or before the first fluid change would typically be prompted by the MM.

·
Registered
217 Posts
2017 RTL T
Juttering on acceleration (barely noticeable)
Fixed with a software update and transmission fluid change under warranty and TSB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
@YetiXing I get this poll is for "overall" performance of the G2 transmissions. Would it be useful to keep the zf9 and 6speed separate when calculating percentages? Guess what I'm getting at is if the zf9 is having less problems it will soften the percentage of issues with the 6 speed. I'm not sure if this is possible to do, a hand calc will work as well :)

21 - 40 of 90 Posts