Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

G2 transmission issues: Select the option that matches your Speed/drivetype/issue.

• 6spd - FWD - Solenoid replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6spd - FWD - Torque converter replaced

• 6spd - FWD - Transmission replaced

• 9spd - AWD - Solenoid replaced

• 9spd - AWD - Torque converter replaced

• 9spd - AWD - Transmission replaced

• 9spd - FWD - Solenoid replaced

• 9spd - FWD - Torque converter replaced

• 9spd - FWD - Transmission replaced

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the injectors replaced after the initial fluid refill, and they also reapplied conductive gel to the wiring of the transmission. Thankfully all covered under warranty. Needless to say it has been a sh*t show of problems with this truck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
@YetiXing I get this poll is for "overall" performance of the G2 transmissions. Would it be useful to keep the zf9 and 6speed separate when calculating percentages?
The percentages shown in the survey don't really mean much as they are expressed as % of respondents. You have to manually calculate to get anything meaningful. Currently:
  • 8% of 2020 owners report they have had a transmission issue
  • 24*% of 2017-2019 owners report they have had a transmission issue
Or more refined:
- 6% of 2017-2019 owners report they have had a transmission issue which required replacement

The sample size is obviously too small for any meaningful conclusions to be drawn.

* And this may not be strictly true - people could be indicating fluid change/SW even if they performed a fluid change as a preventative measure, or indeed to attempt to rectify an issue which turned out to be non-transmission related.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The percentages shown in the survey don't really mean much as they are expressed as % of respondents. You have to manually calculate to get anything meaningful. Currently:
  • 8% of 2020 owners report they have had a transmission issue
  • 24% of 2017-2019 owners report they have had a transmission issue
Or more refined:
- 6% of 2017-2019 owners report they have had a transmission issue which required replacement

The sample size is obviously too small for any meaningful conclusions to be drawn.
Yep, I get that point. I just figured why combine 6 speed and 9 speed statistics as it is much more meaningful IMO to keep them separate. I think it's helpful to see out of all who have responded with a 6 speed, X% had to replace their transmission. Instead of trying to pull out 9 speed data to get that. That was my only point of the comment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My experience with RPM surging at 45MPH resulted in a trans/diff fluid swap and firmware update to troubleshoot. 3 weeks later it was revealed to be a bad wheel hub bearing! Covered by the certified used warranty at 45k, whew, just made it. And I didn't mind paying for the fluid swap, as I was pretty much due for one anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Below is a survey for anyone with a G2 that has had to have transmission service performed (other than general maintenance). This is to go along with the list of transmission failures that Roger has documented on another post.
Some of you may have already seen the survey on the fb page... This is to get input from others on the ROC forum.

Not trying to beat this into the ground...just trying to drill down a little deeper from the last poll and understand what type of issues have been seen...and on which model it happens the most frequent.

The poll will be broken down into: 6/9 speed - Awd/Fwd - Issue type...

Feel free to add to the list. The more we break the list down, better the data... (even if it is only for our personal use)
*Even better would be to post in the comments, Year, Model, Speed 6/9, Issue, Mileage and if issue has been resolved to go along with your answer.
is the Survey over? I am blind-ish, don't see it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So, you believe 12.8% of 47 vehicles is trending to be an "absolute nothing burger"? Maybe for Trabant or Yugo. ;)
I did admit the dataset was too small.

The numbers are trending toward repeated failures, but it almost looks like it's an assembly issue. The plant putting the transmissions together is having some quality issues or parts suppliers are sending parts which are not in spec. If it was design oriented, we'd see a high percentage failing.

If you are one of the lucky ones who didn't get shoddy work or out of spec parts in your transmission is it possible that the transmission will last hundreds of thousands of miles without incident? Or is the transmission, even if perfectly assembled using perfect parts...not designed properly and will always fail prematurely?

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
If you are one of the lucky ones who didn't get shoddy work or out of spec parts in your transmission is it possible that the transmission will last hundreds of thousands of miles without incident? Or is the transmission, even if perfectly assembled using perfect parts...not designed properly and will always fail prematurely?
Those are all good questions. Clearly, not every Ridgeline transmission appears destined for early failure, although we don't have many examples that are approaching or exceeding 100K miles yet. We've seen many examples of 1G Ridgelines with well over 100K miles without the transmission problems we're seeing on the 2G.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-E
10 Posts
Also, it looks like the transmission issues are concentrated in AWD. It might make sense due to additional stress on transmission but AWD has a transmission cooler where FWD doesn't. Or maybe we have more AWD owners than FWD...

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
Also, it looks like the transmission issues are concentrated in AWD. It might make sense due to additional stress on transmission but AWD has a transmission cooler where FWD doesn't. Or maybe we have more AWD owners than FWD...
That's more likely due to the fact that there are far more AWD Ridgelines sold than FWD. Only 5% of used Ridgelines for sale are FWD and 3% of new Ridgelines are FWD. It wouldn't surprise me to see FWD models discontinued.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 RTL AWD @ 34,000 miles. Replaced transmission solenoid under warranty. Symptom was very violent shifting around 3rd to 4th gear. Felt like the transmission might actually come apart. Was within 2 miles of the dealership, and they were very helpful. Got the impression they had seen it before, but when I asked the service advisor was a little vague.

·
Registered
119 Posts
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL AWD.

Purchased new in December of 2017, manufactured date is 08/16.

So, I'm assuming it is one of the earlier built ones.

49,531 miles on it currently.

Zero issues with the transmission.

Only thing done transmission wise was a 3x drain and fill at 30k miles with about a 10 mile drive in between.

Personal thing that I do it this way every 30k on Honda auto transmissions.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep, got the low speed shutter. 2019 ....tows 2000 lbs fine but you can feel it on low acceleration

40 k miles

Honda Service says nothing wrong....huh?

·
Registered
2019 RTL AWD white diamond pearl
9 Posts
2019 RTL AWD 16k no issues. Ive towed over 3800lbs several times over several distances without issue. I have tracked temps in D4 and out of D4 and can tell you the tran rides significantly cooler while in D4. Don't know if its a coincidence or there is something more technical to it. Poll completed.

*Can someone please define the issue " drain-n-fill software update" ?
Edited: I'm just trying to understand if this is an actual issue or routine maintenance?

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
Can someone please define the issue " drain-n-fill software update" ?
Honda issued a TSB for 2017 Ridgelines that is intended to address a torque converter judder issue caused by deteriorated fluid due to overheating. A software update is claimed to reduce the propensity for the transmission to overheat and series of drains and refills exchanges most of the old fluid with new fluid. The torque converter judder must be verified and recorded using a computer in order for Honda to cover this particular issue for 8 years or 80,000 miles.

·
Registered
2019 RTL AWD white diamond pearl
9 Posts
Honda issued a TSB for 2017 Ridgelines that is intended to address a torque converter judder issue caused by deteriorated fluid due to overheating. A software update is claimed to reduce the propensity for the transmission to overheat and series of drains and refills exchanges most of the old fluid with new fluid. The torque converter judder must be verified and recorded using a computer in order for Honda to cover this particular issue for 8 years or 80,000 miles.
Nice. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transmission replaced for me. Bought a 2018 RTL-E about two months ago with 45k miles on it. Had to have replaced at 48.5k miles. Thankfully it was a certified pre-owned and all covered by Honda.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Afraid if I respond to this thread it will jinx me! So far no problems, but if I doing any towing, even small trailers, a wood chipper from the rental place or the fact that I live in what might be considered a mountainous region ( need a better definition from Honda) , I have taken the time to do a drain and fill on the transmission. So far with 31k miles, I have done it twice on the tranny and 3 times on the rear differential. I have not seen the MM telling me the transmission needs to be done, just doing it out of fear that there might be an issue later. I want this to last for more than just a few more years and maybe someone else will get a well maintained vehicle down the road. Im sure I won’t get anymore in trade in value later, but it gives me piece of mind knowing fluids are in good condition.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts