Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

G2 transmission issues: Select the option that matches your Speed/drivetype/issue.

• 6spd - FWD - Solenoid replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6spd - FWD - Torque converter replaced

• 6spd - FWD - Transmission replaced

• 9spd - AWD - Solenoid replaced

• 9spd - AWD - Torque converter replaced

• 9spd - AWD - Transmission replaced

• 9spd - FWD - Solenoid replaced

• 9spd - FWD - Torque converter replaced

• 9spd - FWD - Transmission replaced

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Did you notice how many transmissions were replaced at less then 30K in the transmission replacement thread?

The mileage isn't available for two of the 18.

So, at least 33% failed before 30K and 63% failed at or before the first fluid change would typically be prompted by the MM.
Yep. Just like yours. Failure before needing service. Service is not the fix. Some transmission will have issues. But Honda are hard on transmission fluid... and changing a little early is good insurance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The option that fits me is not there. My '17 RTL-E occasionally has difficulty engaging first when first started, especially if it's been sitting for some time. If I accelerate, the truck moves forward slowly and the engine revs. After a few seconds, I can feel it engage the gear and then it goes as expected. Doesn't happen every time. I haven't taken it into have it looked at because it's not easy to reproduce and right now, it's a minor annoyance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The option that fits me is not there. My '17 RTL-E occasionally has difficulty engaging first when first started, especially if it's been sitting for some time. If I accelerate, the truck moves forward slowly and the engine revs. After a few seconds, I can feel it engage the gear and then it goes as expected. Doesn't happen every time. I haven't taken it into have it looked at because it's not easy to reproduce and right now, it's a minor annoyance.
Sounds like we need to add a new option "About to fail" :) .

Seriously, I hope yours is OK!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
16 Posts
Below is a survey for anyone with a G2 that has had to have transmission service performed (other than general maintenance). This is to go along with the list of transmission failures that Roger has documented on another post.
Some of you may have already seen the survey on the fb page... This is to get input from others on the ROC forum.

Not trying to beat this into the ground...just trying to drill down a little deeper from the last poll and understand what type of issues have been seen...and on which model it happens the most frequent.

The poll will be broken down into: 6/9 speed - Awd/Fwd - Issue type...

Feel free to add to the list. The more we break the list down, better the data... (even if it is only for our personal use)
*Even better would be to post in the comments, Year, Model, Speed 6/9, Issue, Mileage and if issue has been resolved to go along with your answer.
How about deleting any reply that doesn't show year/model/drive system and speed trans. Some of these posts - who knows!
2017 RTL - 6spd AWD - 50K, no issues and no parts or fluid change.
2019 RTL -6 spd AWD - 11K no issues, no parts or fluid changes

I avoided the 9 speed as any first year is going to have issues. I have a 2020 Pilot and I also avoided the 9 speed.
Honda has shown in the last couple years they have less concern about dependability. I left buying CR/V's for this reason, when they walked away from the 2.4/5 speed AT that was bullet-proof. The first CVT was a shuddering mess. And friends with the new turbo had recalls and tons of trouble. My Ridgelines are great, but probably won't be buying anymore from this point on - SADLY!

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)
How about deleting any reply that doesn't show year/model/drive system and speed trans. Some of these posts - who knows!
2017 RTL - 6spd AWD - 50K, no issues and no parts or fluid change.
2019 RTL -6 spd AWD - 11K no issues, no parts or fluid changes

I avoided the 9 speed as any first year is going to have issues. I have a 2020 Pilot and I also avoided the 9 speed.
Honda has shown in the last couple years they have less concern about dependability. I left buying CR/V's for this reason, when they walked away from the 2.4/5 speed AT that was bullet-proof. The first CVT was a shuddering mess. And friends with the new turbo had recalls and tons of trouble. My Ridgelines are great, but probably won't be buying anymore from this point on - SADLY!
On the comments...I dont have access to delete anything...but i think more information is better than none.
I know this is not a large pool of Ridgeline owners, just hoping that everyone participates and we get a better idea of how many failures there have been..and how many were either worn fluid, neglect, or other known issues...

AMEN on the 2.4/5speed CRV!!!
I have a 2006 CRV with 125k miles sitting in my driveway that my son still drives daily to highschool. Other than finding about 1/2" of water in the entire car (faulty seam sealer at the firewall when the car was 10 year old...fixed by ME)...the car has been perfect and still drives like new. My wife wants to get the boys something new or newer...when i see what is being put in cars these days...baby engines with tubos and all the electronic failure...(in all makes and models.)
I think ill hold onto what i have for now... the 06 CRV and 99 F150 are at least something i can fix if they break. These new cars are almost all dealer only...

I spent a year reading and looking at vehicles..what was so hard is i spent the time to look at the vehicles, talk to owners, and look at other forums...ford, honda, toyota... Here's a secret... THEY ALL HAVE PROBLEMS! Thats what took me so long to buy a truck... Just look at any forum...nothing but problems...all brands. At least the the history of hondas that ive owned...ive had good luck (civic,crv,odyssey, ridgeline)...so i decided to stick to the brand i knew best.... and bought a Ridgeline. I may have issues...so i bought HondaCare. But the most important thing to me was finding a vehicle that was comfortable and that i like to drive. And I love driving this truck!!! :)

*added picts of crv leak at firewall seam...
Fixed the leak...dried the car and carpet...put back together...
Boy, that was fun! :cool:

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,673 Posts
Honda has been using the 9-speed/3.5L V6 powertrain for six years after making its debut in the TLX in 2014. The 2020 Ridgeline's powertrain has been used in the Pilot since 2015 before the 2G Ridgeline even went on sale.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I believe that your question has been answered, YetiXing, The selection "6sp-no issues" has the highest number of votes. The next highest is "6sp-AWD-Fluid drain-n-fill or software update", which is associated with Service Bulletin 17-025, where the main problem was corrected in post 2017 models primarily with the transmission program update. This accounts for approximately 80% of the votes. The remaining 20% are scattered among various issues, which could be representative to any manufacturer?

Bill

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
16 Posts
On the comments...I dont have access to delete anything...but i think more information is better than none.
I know this is not a large pool of Ridgeline owners, just hoping that everyone participates and we get a better idea of how many failures there have been..and how many were either worn fluid, neglect, or other known issues...

AMEN on the 2.4/5speed CRV!!!
I have a 2006 CRV with 125k miles sitting in my driveway that my son still drives daily to highschool. Other than finding about 1/2" of water in the entire car (faulty seam sealer at the firewall when the car was 10 year old...fixed by ME)...the car has been perfect and still drives like new. My wife wants to get the boys something new or newer...when i see what is being put in cars these days...baby engines with tubos and all the electronic failure...(in all makes and models.)
I think ill hold onto what i have for now... the 06 CRV and 99 F150 are at least something i can fix if they break. These new cars are almost all dealer only...

I spent a year reading and looking at vehicles..what was so hard is i spent the time to look at the vehicles, talk to owners, and look at other forums...ford, honda, toyota... Here's a secret... THEY ALL HAVE PROBLEMS! Thats what took me so long to buy a truck... Just look at any forum...nothing but problems...all brands. At least the the history of hondas that ive owned...ive had good luck (civic,crv,odyssey, ridgeline)...so i decided to stick to the brand i knew best.... and bought a Ridgeline. I may have issues...so i bought HondaCare. But the most important thing to me was finding a vehicle that was comfortable and that i like to drive. And I love driving this truck!!! :)

*added picts of crv leak at firewall seam...
Fixed the leak...dried the car and carpet...put back together...
Boy, that was fun! :cool:
I agree - I loved my 2017 and same for my 2019 Ridgeline. Hope my tranny keeps on keeping on!

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL AWD
97 Posts
It would be interesting if we could find out if those with 6speeds that needed drain and fills and software update did a lot of stop and go street driving as part of their daily commute.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I need to get by my dealership to see if they have any records of doing tranny drain and fill and/or TSBs.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If Honda does a drain and fill and software update and then the transmission goes out after warranty expires, who pays? Nissan just told my niece that her 2015 Rogue w/ 100k miles needs a new tranny for about $5 grand. That kind of money, may as well trade before the warranty runs out.

Reactions: stevem5215

·
Registered
119 Posts
If Honda does a drain and fill and software update and then the transmission goes out after warranty expires, who pays? Nissan just told my niece that her 2015 Rogue w/ 100k miles needs a new tranny for about $5 grand. That kind of money, may as well trade before the warranty runs out.
Once the warranty is over, owner is fully responsible. Depending on how far past end of warranty, you may be able to get some help from the manufacturer. Honestly, depends on the situation.

CVTs are generally more expensive to repair compared to a regular AT or MT.

Nissan has also had a **** ton of problems with their CVTs over the years, unfortunately.

The most reliable CVT transmission on the market are in Hondas.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Once the warranty is over, owner is fully responsible. Depending on how far past end of warranty, you may be able to get some help from the manufacturer, depends on the situation.

Drain and fill and software update could be just a band aid.

Reactions: YetiXing

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well yes, it could be. Hard to tell, not many Ridgeline Gen IIs at the mileage required to really come to a fair conclusion(imo)

Ridgelines have a regular AT. So it should be cheaper to repair when things go wrong, compared to a CVT

Still a pricey repair but could be thousands less.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Wonder why CVTs are more expensive?......basic components are 2 pulleys and 1 belt.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think that is what is done in most cases with both replacement engines and trannies. The new/rebuilt replacement (crate motor/tranny) is either in inventory or ordered.....the removed bad unit is sent off to be rebuilt, presuming it's re-buildable.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Symptomatic 2017 transmissions after the SB has been applied have shown no more symptoms. Transmissions of later model years now with the software update have shown no symptoms. So, please pardon my saying this, but it sure seems kind of....................well, silly, at least to me, to think gloom and doom at this point in time?

Bill

61 - 80 of 89 Posts