Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issues today with my 19 RTL-E. First I have a long driveway 1200 feet. Driving up slowly, the RL downshifts. Weird. Let off the gas and back on and no issues. Top speed on my driveway is 10 at the most. Pull on main road and accelerate, hit 40 and it is like I shift in to neutral. Engine races then tranny hooks up. Not happy. Pulling up to stop sign doing 50, engine RPMs are up around 3500. Usually at this speed just a tad over 1300. Come up to a stop sign and pulling away it slams in to 4th gear. Pull off at first available place and power off. Shifts through gears but not as smooth. Called my local dealer and they will look at it first thing Friday. No lights on dash but I will throw my scanner on it when I get home. Just rolled 18K on it. Will update tomorrow once dealer checks it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's a bummer for sure. It sounds very similar to several others who have reported a similar set of symptoms. Maybe search for transmission TSB and see what you find. I think someone was posting about having theirs repaired just the other day.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Warranty is your best friend. I had my transmission replaced in my 2018 RL after only 6k miles. Different symptoms from yours, constant whine

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did find the TSB that talks about a software update for the torque converter along with a fluid change. Tomorrow will tell

·
Administrator
13,718 Posts
Sounds like symptoms of a faulty pressure switch that I've seen reported on here - a relatively easy fix without having to pull the tranny if so.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got done driving it with the tech. Of course, it drove and shifted great. No codes and their scanner did not pick up anything on the test drive. They verified that it is not the issue in the TSB for the code update / torque converter and are in the process of doing a full transmission service on it (3x fluid change). They are also running all fluid through filter media to check for any fod. He did also mention the pressure switch so we'll see what he comes back with on that. Weird thing is that if I drive it daily, I do not have this issue. It seems to come on when I let it sit for a few days (3+) and then drive.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: Back in the shop today. Picked it up from the body shop last night, drove great. This morning on my way in to work, it won't shift out of 2nd gear. Again no lights, no errors, just doesn't shift. Got video of it and got it over to my dealer. Took a tech for a ride and was able to reproduce it. They threw a scanner on it and took it back out for another drive. I ended up with a loaner HRV and sent on my way. Tranny Tech comes in at 8 so we'll see what they find or what they determine they need to shotgun to fix it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE 2: Just heard back that it did log a code. Interesting that it did not flip the check engine light though. Service Adviser says it is the #2 solenoid and they are ordering a valve body assembly to resolve on the recommendation of Honda Corp. They opened a case with them since it is their first time seeing this with a 2019. Hopefully this resolves my issue. The SA did say that if it reoccurs that they will be replacing the transmission and sending my original back to Honda for analysis. I'll post the code and repair info once I have it tomorrow so anyone else having these issues can reference. I need to upload the videos to Google and post a link as well. Just need to find the time to work on the best way to do that

·
Administrator
13,718 Posts
Interesting that it did not flip the check engine light though.
The operation of the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp aka "check engine" light aka "service engine soon" light aka "Emissions System Problem" message ) is defined by federal regulations.

The short version is that the MIL is only allowed to illuminate for a detected failure that could result in the vehicle exceeding emission levels by 1.5 times the standard.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The operation of the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp aka "check engine" light aka "service engine soon" light aka "Emissions System Problem" message ) is defined by federal regulations.

The short version is that the MIL is only allowed to illuminate for a detected failure that could result in the vehicle exceeding emission levels by 1.5 times the standard.

On my Pilot when I had a transmission issue, I got a flashing D, traction control and VSA light flash. Granted it was 10yrs old, but it did give a visual that you had an issue and a code was generated. Maybe they should log something in the Infotainment System that there was an issue and you need to take it in for service. Appreciate the link. Always good to be educated and build that knowledge base. I'm of the belief that I would rather have too much information than not enough.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the link to the videos Ridgline shift issues The first one shows it holding at 3500 RPM and the second is from a complete stop. Note at around 17mph where it does shift hard and gains speed fast, then it does not shift again up to 55mph.

·
Administrator
13,718 Posts
On my Pilot when I had a transmission issue, I got a flashing D, traction control and VSA light flash. Granted it was 10yrs old, but it did give a visual that you had an issue and a code was generated. Maybe they should log something in the Infotainment System that there was an issue and you need to take it in for service. Appreciate the link. Always good to be educated and build that knowledge base. I'm of the belief that I would rather have too much information than not enough.
Certain types of transmission issues can affect emissions and illuminate the MIL. Other types of transmission issues that can't affect emissions may or may not set codes depending on the specific failure and not all codes result in a visual indication.

Here is the link to the videos Ridgline shift issues The first one shows it holding at 3500 RPM and the second is from a complete stop. Note at around 17mph where it does shift hard and gains speed fast, then it does not shift again up to 55mph.
I hope you had a passenger filming that and you weren't doing so yourself while driving.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did not have someone that could film that in the vehicle with me. I did however change my route to the dealership when it first started so I was on back roads out of traffic so I could take that video and not be around other vehicles. Not the safest or smartest either way. At the time (5:45AM) I just wanted to capture proof for the dealership in the event I could not reproduce the issue when I arrived. Don't be stupid like me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Morning Update: Not fixed. Dropped it back at the dealership and grabbed another loaner. Exact same issue. Slamming in to 2nd and most shifting out. Next step I believe is replacing the transmission. Probably won’t have it back till mid next week.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dealer confirmed transmission has been ordered. I guess I get to enjoy a 2020 Accord Sport for a few days. Disappointed that I’m having this issue, but Honda has stepped up and is working to make it right

1 - 20 of 36 Posts