Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any transmission issues with their 2nd gen? I have a 2017 I bought used a month ago (42,000 miles) and have noticed the past week every once in a while when I get into it after it has say for about 30 minutes, start it up and put it into drive there seems to be a slight hesitation like fluid is low and it just doesn’t want to drive. After about 2 to 3 seconds it takes off with no other issues. Give me some thoughts please! Thanks

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hill Assist maybe? If you back down a slight incline, shift from reverse to drive, brakes will hold for about 2 to 3 seconds.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Has anyone had any transmission issues with their 2nd gen? I have a 2017 I bought used a month ago (42,000 miles) and have noticed the past week every once in a while when I get into it after it has say for about 30 minutes, start it up and put it into drive there seems to be a slight hesitation like fluid is low and it just doesn’t want to drive. After about 2 to 3 seconds it takes off with no other issues. Give me some thoughts please! Thanks
Have you checked fluid level? What color is the fluid?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mine has done exactly that for a while (off and on). Usually after sitting overnight. I put it into reverse to back out of the garage and there’s a slight delay. I’ve noticed it’s not as common if I let the truck run for thirty seconds before changing the gear into reverse. (Maybe it takes a second for something to engage after sitting a bit)

I’ve chosen to ignore it.

Someone on hear said. If you need a magnifying glass or have to listen closely to it. Then it might not be worth investigating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hill Assist maybe? If you back down a slight incline, shift from reverse to drive, brakes will hold for about 2 to 3 seconds.
No clue. It happened today on flat ground. Pulled into the grass at the fairgrounds, checked on the goats, came back it started the truck put it into drive and nothing for about 2 seconds. This is the third time, all on flat ground.

·
Administrator
15,687 Posts
Has anyone had any transmission issues with their 2nd gen?
Yes.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL AWD
98 Posts
Check the fluid level. Delayed engagement of drive or reverse is a classic symptom of low fluid level on an automatic transmission. Usually more noticeable when cold, as in after sitting overnight.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Maybe low fluid or bad fluid but a sticky solenoid could be the cause. I think that some solenoid conditions throw a code. In any event, it will probably get worse if you do nothing.
As mentioned, check the fluid level as well the color and odor.
Changing the fluid may help and if the levels are OK, I might try that first. Make sure the correct spec fluid is used.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,584 Posts
When checking the automatic trans fluid in a Honda, make SURE you know the Honda procedure. It is different from conventional automatics and if checked like a conventional auto, you will get a false reading. Don't ask how I know. ;)

Conventional automatic: check with fluid hot on level ground WITH the engine running in Neutral or Park..

Honda automatic: check with fluid hot on level ground with the engine SHUTOFF within 60-90 seconds of shutdown.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,020 Posts
Doesnt your used Ridgeline come with a warranty? Did you address this with the folks you bought it with? Hope it was not a private sale................

·
Administrator
15,687 Posts
Check the fluid level. Delayed engagement of drive or reverse is a classic symptom of low fluid level on an automatic transmission. Usually more noticeable when cold, as in after sitting overnight.
You mean "have the fluid level checked". :) Honda doesn't provide owners with instructions on how to check or replace the transmission fluid in the 2G Ridgeline.

From the Owner's Manual:

"Have a dealer check the fluid level and replace if necessary.
Do not attempt to check or change the automatic transmission fluid yourself."

Doesnt your used Ridgeline come with a warranty? Did you address this with the folks you bought it with? Hope it was not a private sale................
The transmission should still be covered under the balance of the 5/60 powertrain warranty regardless of where the vehicle was purchased.

If it was purchased from a Honda dealer and the dealer sold it as Honda Certified Pre-Owned, then it should be covered for 7/100.

·
Super Moderator
23,584 Posts
You mean "have the fluid level checked". :) Honda doesn't provide owners with instructions on how to check or replace the transmission fluid in the 2G Ridgeline.

From the Owner's Manual:

"Have a dealer check the fluid level and replace if necessary.
Do not attempt to check or change the automatic transmission fluid yourself."

The transmission should still be covered under the balance of the 5/60 powertrain warranty regardless of where the vehicle was purchased.

If it was purchased from a Honda dealer and the dealer sold it as Honda Certified Pre-Owned, then it should be covered for 7/100.
Hmm. My copy of the 2017 OM says this:

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL AWD
98 Posts
Hmm. My copy of the 2017 OM says this:

View attachment 404623
The manual that came with my 2017 ridgeline has the same instructions. But I found it interesting that if you look up the 2017 manual online it says the dealer should check the fluid. This was removed for some reason.
The instructions for checking the level are not clear to me. If you have to wait for the radiator fan to turn on it implies you are starting the truck from cold and waiting for it to warm up. It does not say drive the thing for a certain number of miles first. Can an expert Honda transmission fluid checker clear this up? Should the fluid level be checked from a cold start, letting the engine warm up without driving it or can it be checked after you have driven it? I have not checked what the transmission fluid temp is if I do the cold start and let engine warm up, but I guess I will next weekend.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Mine has done exactly that for a while (off and on). Usually after sitting overnight. I put it into reverse to back out of the garage and there’s a slight delay. I’ve noticed it’s not as common if I let the truck run for thirty seconds before changing the gear into reverse. (Maybe it takes a second for something to engage after sitting a bit)

I’ve chosen to ignore it.

Someone on hear said. If you need a magnifying glass or have to listen closely to it. Then it might not be worth investigating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind of the same here, though it will initially back out of the driveway ok, put into drive and it is like the brakes are holding the vehicle for a second or two, and then let go. The fluid is at the proper level, we've just accepted it as the nature of the beast.

Bill

·
Administrator
15,687 Posts
The manual that came with my 2017 ridgeline has the same instructions. But I found it interesting that if you look up the 2017 manual online it says the dealer should check the fluid. This was removed for some reason.
The instructions for checking the level are not clear to me. If you have to wait for the radiator fan to turn on it implies you are starting the truck from cold and waiting for it to warm up. It does not say drive the thing for a certain number of miles first. Can an expert Honda transmission fluid checker clear this up? Should the fluid level be checked from a cold start, letting the engine warm up without driving it or can it be checked after you have driven it? I have not checked what the transmission fluid temp is if I do the cold start and let engine warm up, but I guess I will next weekend.
Here are the official instructions from Honda for checking the fluid level on the 2017-2019 Ridgeline. The instructions in the owner's manual are less detailed than what is listed in the service information. The owner's manual also has different fill instructions. I suspect the information was removed from the 2017 manual because it was incomplete, inconsistent, and bit too difficult for the average consumer to perform.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,584 Posts
The original printing does contain that information. Honda removed it from the 2017 manual and it doesn't appear in the 2018-current manuals.
That's interesting. I have to wonder why they want the dealer only to check the fluid level. In my experience the dealer (the dealer's body shop actually) didn't know how to properly check the tranny fluid. I had to show them.

Kinda reminds me when service departments weren't aware of the separate transfer assembly early on.

Reactions: bulwnkl

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
11 Posts
I have yet to check my transmission fluid level (1400 miles on the odo), but these links have been an interesting read:

This appears to be a rebuild manual for the 9-speed:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The instructions for checking the level are not clear to me. If you have to wait for the radiator fan to turn on it implies you are starting the truck from cold and waiting for it to warm up....Should the fluid level be checked from a cold start, letting the engine warm up without driving it or can it be checked after you have driven it?
You’re inferring too much. Honda’s instructions don’t imply what you’ve inferred. There’s nothing there to either require or imply starting from ‘cold.’ Starting from ‘cold’ is more ambiguous than what Honda wrote because “cold” has no definition and no parameters.

If one simply follows the instructions as written, the fluid level check will yield the result Honda intended.

If you’re simply curious to know, and are able to NOT let that knowledge interfere with following simple instructions, that’s great! Letting the engine idle until the rad fan(s) turn(s) on is to warm the fluid. If the engine and coolant are already hot, so is the ATF, and that step of the procedure won’t take long. If it’s 40 below and has been for a week, it’s gonna take a while. (-:

·
Administrator
15,687 Posts
You’re inferring too much. Honda’s instructions don’t imply what you’ve inferred. There’s nothing there to either require or imply starting from ‘cold.’ Starting from ‘cold’ is more ambiguous than what Honda wrote because “cold” has no definition and no parameters.

If one simply follows the instructions as written, the fluid level check will yield the result Honda intended.

If you’re simply curious to know, and are able to NOT let that knowledge interfere with following simple instructions, that’s great! Letting the engine idle until the rad fan(s) turn(s) on is to warm the fluid. If the engine and coolant are already hot, so is the ATF, and that step of the procedure won’t take long. If it’s 40 below and has been for a week, it’s gonna take a while. (-:
The early 2017 owner's manual does not mention the following:

"Higher fluid level may be indicated if the radiator fan comes on twice or more."

If you decide to check the transmission fluid after a drive, you won't know how many times the cooling fans came on.

"Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in P or N) until the radiator fan comes on."

This is likely to reduce the amount of time the technician has to wait for the engine to warm up. Also, under some conditions the engine may never warm up to the point the cooling fans come on unless the engine speed is increased. The 1.5T in my '17 Civic Si would never reach normal operating temperature at idle with an ambient temperature of 75°F - the little engine just didn't generate enough heat at idle.

It appears the procedure is most accurate when it is performed on a "cold" vehicle.

Furthermore, the service information says to fill using the filler hole whereas the early OM says to fill through the dipstick tube. Can you imagine the mess an average owner would make trying to pour a quart-size bottle into a 1/4" hole down inside the engine bay?

I'm convinced these are the reasons why the DIY instructions were removed from the OM. :)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts