Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I appreciate that you also have your reasons for inferring what you do. That has no impact on the fact that the procedure does not imply starting from a context-less word.

“Cold” in my climate is as warm as the ATF will reach when starting from “cold” in North Dakota in the winter, or probably even the spring.

Reactions: Dogs 2C

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
When we discussed checking fluid levels on a previous thread:

Bill

·
Registered
59 Posts
Forgive the derailment, but where is the fill plug located that is shown in the manual page that Zrog appended? I think I recall it being under the battery but I haven't laid eyes on it.

On my last drain and fills, I've been filling through the dipstick hole with a long, narrow funnel. No troubles or spills. I looked for the plug but didn't find it...lost patience and just used the dipstick tube at that point.

Steve

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2017 E with 42000 miles and was towing our travel trailer and got a warning about over heating the transmission fluid. I usually have the transmission fluid changed every April, didn't do it this year. When we got to a Honda dealer they flushed it twice and refilled. Then ran a software update. That did the trick. No more overheating the transmission and the shifting was more smooth than it was before. I am convinced that the S/W update was the big difference maker.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Forgive the derailment, but where is the fill plug located that is shown in the manual page that Zrog appended? I think I recall it being under the battery but I haven't laid eyes on it.

On my last drain and fills, I've been filling through the dipstick hole with a long, narrow funnel. No troubles or spills. I looked for the plug but didn't find it...lost patience and just used the dipstick tube at that point.

Steve
I always fill through the dipstick. 👍🏻

·
Super Moderator
5,338 Posts
I have a 2017 E with 42000 miles and was towing our travel trailer and got a warning about over heating the transmission fluid. I usually have the transmission fluid changed every April, didn't do it this year. When we got to a Honda dealer they flushed it twice and refilled. Then ran a software update. That did the trick. No more overheating the transmission and the shifting was more smooth than it was before. I am convinced that the S/W update was the big difference maker.
Speaking of software updates - if that helps a overheating transmission, then why doesn't Honda do the software update when the vehicle is brought in for any service, instead of waiting for a problem to arise.

Reactions: YetiXing

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
Speaking of software updates - if that helps a overheating transmission, then why doesn't Honda do the software update when the vehicle is brought in for any service, instead of waiting for a problem to arise.
Money.

It's not a recall, so dealers won't get reimbursed unless the issue can be verified to exist on a customer's vehicle. The majority of transmissions won't overheat, so it's less expensive for Honda to reimburse dealers to repair only those transmissions that do experience a problem then after 8/80 they're off the hook.

Recalls are proactive to prevent a problem. TSBs are reactive to fix a problem that has already occurred. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone had any transmission issues with their 2nd gen? I have a 2017 I bought used a month ago (42,000 miles) and have noticed the past week every once in a while when I get into it after it has say for about 30 minutes, start it up and put it into drive there seems to be a slight hesitation like fluid is low and it just doesn’t want to drive. After about 2 to 3 seconds it takes off with no other issues. Give me some thoughts please! Thanks
Torque converter issues???? I had 60,680 miles on mine. New transmission and motor mounts. No more Honda's for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone had any transmission issues with their 2nd gen? I have a 2017 I bought used a month ago (42,000 miles) and have noticed the past week every once in a while when I get into it after it has say for about 30 minutes, start it up and put it into drive there seems to be a slight hesitation like fluid is low and it just doesn’t want to drive. After about 2 to 3 seconds it takes off with no other issues. Give me some thoughts please! Thanks
I have a 2013 Sport that i bought new, and I noticed that when i park it after going forward, then sitting for a bit, pulling forward (never putting it in reverse) while leaving there's a 'shimmer'.. i mentioned it to the dealership service department and they told me it was the engine mount.. really? I'm not an idiot, and I know it's transmission related, so i made them put it in their notes (still in warranty) just in case there's an issue after the warranty is up.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 RTL began to display transmission slippage and random upshifting / downshifting around 70k mileage. Local dealer 'tells me' he did a triple flush of the transmission fluid for ~$400 which seemed to resolve the issue. I've read articles since then telling me that a software update to address torque converter issues was the Honda recommended resolution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's my somewhat cynical take on why it was taken out of the owner's manual. I'm betting that at some point some Darwin award winner decided to check the transmission fluid level while the engine was running and got body parts tangled in the electric fan while reaching for the dipstick. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 RTL E would do that for the first year. Of course dealer can't find or fix it. Told me I must have my embrace on...Right!
It gradually went away but it was very annoying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had trouble with my 19' RL getting up to speed while pulling out and turning onto a street. The only common denominator each time was the eco mode being on. It was almost like it was stalling out. It wasn't just slow about taking off, it almost came to a complete stop before it finally decided to get going. If I need to get going in a hurry, I always disengage it beforehand. That may be irrelevant to your comment but that's been my experience. Take care.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am wondering too why Honda bothered to create a AT fluid filler hole while still checking level from dipstick insert. Just to save tech's time? For DIYers like me, why not just fill from dipstick tube, unless there is reason like trapped air bubble.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Kind of the same here, though it will initially back out of the driveway ok, put into drive and it is like the brakes are holding the vehicle for a second or two, and then let go. The fluid is at the proper level, we've just accepted it as the nature of the beast.

Bill
This is what I am thinking. I will check fluids just for peace of mind. I have also began waiting about 10 seconds before putting it in any gear and have not had an issue since. We shall see. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Dont get this post wrong, all vehicles have some issues at one point or another. I had a 2007 RTX that i put 262,000 miles on until the bottom radiator clamp rusted off and blew the hose. Apparently at the time my temp gauge was not working properly and this went un-noticed until the engine blew. I am very happy with the 2nd gen truck as i am sure most on here are. I think for the most part this is a non-issue as it is still a Honda.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL E
9 Posts
My 2017 didn’t have that issue. But had the “judder” which matched the Service Bulletin # 17-025. Honda covered the serviced which included flushing the transmission four times and a software update.
Since the update the transmission feels better all the way around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Link for the TSB...

21 - 40 of 70 Posts