Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
You mean "have the fluid level checked". :) Honda doesn't provide owners with instructions on how to check or replace the transmission fluid in the 2G Ridgeline.

From the Owner's Manual:

"Have a dealer check the fluid level and replace if necessary.
Do not attempt to check or change the automatic transmission fluid yourself."

The transmission should still be covered under the balance of the 5/60 powertrain warranty regardless of where the vehicle was purchased.

If it was purchased from a Honda dealer and the dealer sold it as Honda Certified Pre-Owned, then it should be covered for 7/100.
I have a 2G 2018 and it has a dipstick. In the engine compartment, look in the front right - and look deep down. There is a dipstick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine has done exactly that for a while (off and on). Usually after sitting overnight. I put it into reverse to back out of the garage and there’s a slight delay. I’ve noticed it’s not as common if I let the truck run for thirty seconds before changing the gear into reverse. (Maybe it takes a second for something to engage after sitting a bit)

I’ve chosen to ignore it.

Someone on hear said. If you need a magnifying glass or have to listen closely to it. Then it might not be worth investigating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here, exactly like your experience, 2020 Black Edition, after about 8k I started noticing it and I also chose to ignore it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone had any transmission issues with their 2nd gen? I have a 2017 I bought used a month ago (42,000 miles) and have noticed the past week every once in a while when I get into it after it has say for about 30 minutes, start it up and put it into drive there seems to be a slight hesitation like fluid is low and it just doesn’t want to drive. After about 2 to 3 seconds it takes off with no other issues. Give me some thoughts please! Thanks
I drive in Phoenix where the temps are over 110 and on the hwy I suspect over 125. I have not noticed any transmission temp problems in my 2017 Ridgeline. I do check the fluids religiously.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You’re inferring too much. Honda’s instructions don’t imply what you’ve inferred. There’s nothing there to either require or imply starting from ‘cold.’ Starting from ‘cold’ is more ambiguous than what Honda wrote because “cold” has no definition and no parameters.

If one simply follows the instructions as written, the fluid level check will yield the result Honda intended.

If you’re simply curious to know, and are able to NOT let that knowledge interfere with following simple instructions, that’s great! Letting the engine idle until the rad fan(s) turn(s) on is to warm the fluid. If the engine and coolant are already hot, so is the ATF, and that step of the procedure won’t take long. If it’s 40 below and has been for a week, it’s gonna take a while. (-:
If its below freezing might want to speed up heating by driving it?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,591 Posts
Dont get this post wrong, all vehicles have some issues at one point or another. I had a 2007 RTX that i put 262,000 miles on until the bottom radiator clamp rusted off and blew the hose. Apparently at the time my temp gauge was not working properly and this went un-noticed until the engine blew. I am very happy with the 2nd gen truck as i am sure most on here are. I think for the most part this is a non-issue as it is still a Honda.
If there's no coolant in the system, I'm not sure what the temp gauge will show, but I don't think it will move to H because there's nothing for the probe to measure. I suspect it will move towards the C position.

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
I have a 2G 2018 and it has a dipstick. In the engine compartment, look in the front right - and look deep down. There is a dipstick.
Right. All 2017-2019 Ridgelines have a transmission dipstick. It's not intended to be used by owners, though, which is why it's no longer referenced in the Owner's Manual which directs you to dealer to have the fluid level checked.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone had any transmission issues with their 2nd gen? I have a 2017 I bought used a month ago (42,000 miles) and have noticed the past week every once in a while when I get into it after it has say for about 30 minutes, start it up and put it into drive there seems to be a slight hesitation like fluid is low and it just doesn’t want to drive. After about 2 to 3 seconds it takes off with no other issues. Give me some thoughts please! Thanks
I have a 2009 ridgeline RTL, when I hit 100,000 I was experiencing same issue. dealer replaced the shift solenoid and it was all good. Not sure if this is the issue but it worked for my vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a "certified used" 2017 and took it back several times with a surging or hesitation issue in the transmission. I told them they might be getting it back. Honda downloaded new software, drained and flushed it, and the problem has never returned. Runs smooth and no issues at all at 58K.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lol. I have a 2019 AWD. Been pulling a 2019 travel trailer 21’ ( 3050 lbs. ) . Every time the transmission too hot light comes on. I’ve also experienced some hesitation in the drive as well. This happened 7x now. After the first trip and 2x doing it, I took it to dealer and they said nothing was wrong and transmission was fine even though I smelled burnt fluid. 4 months later, happened 5x going on a 300 mile trip . Brought it back and Honda has replaced the entire transmission. Only had 31k miles on it. Seems to be working ok now. Not confident or trustworthy of it anymore. Absolutely love the truck. Best riding truck out there but it can’t pull 60% of its value is ridiculous. I’ve pulled everything and anything my entire life so I know what I’m doing . Wanted the MPG and ride. Going to sell and get 2021 Ram during trick month in October. Screw the MPG. In fact, they get 21 so it’s not too bad. Also, you can’t get a aftermarket larger cooler for it either. They were taking all kinds of pictures of transmission and cooler and hitch to make sure I didn’t fabricate anything to void my warranty. Ridgeline has a issue with their transmissions. It’s why the 2020 isn’t a 6 speed anymore i bet.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a 2017 RTLE AWD with 34k miles. took it to the dealer as 2 codes were showing. they replaced the torque converter. :unsure:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine has done exactly that for a while (off and on). Usually after sitting overnight. I put it into reverse to back out of the garage and there’s a slight delay. I’ve noticed it’s not as common if I let the truck run for thirty seconds before changing the gear into reverse. (Maybe it takes a second for something to engage after sitting a bit)

I’ve chosen to ignore it.

Someone on hear said. If you need a magnifying glass or have to listen closely to it. Then it might not be worth investigating.

Maybe the oil has to get all over the inside of the transmission.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2017 has been nothing but junk. Trans had to be replaced at 60,000. Fuel injectors replaced at 50,000.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll add my recent experience with my early production 2017 RTL AWD. I was experiencing the "Judder" issue which seemed more prevalent just after warm up on sort of flat roads and upward inclines. At first I thought it was just road surfaces, but it became apparent it was not. The symptom was slight variation in RPM, about 50 or so. Not sure what to do I turned to the forum where others were experiencing this as well and which also lead to the TSB.
So I took it to the dealer where I bought the truck who I trust more than my local dealer knowing there would be a 130.00 diagnostic charge.
Half of the diagnostic charge went away with confirmation that there is indeed a judder and they confirmed meanwhile that the fuel injectors needed to be replaced (cylinder 3 running rich) which they said can cause the same symptom. They flushed the fluid, updated the software and replaced the injectors. The injectors are covered under the emissions warranty. All together the cost was 340.00.
The truck has 39k on the odometer.

Some thoughts:

The truck was in for the Harness and fuel pump guard issue 10K ago. Do you think they could have updated the software then? What would it cost them? They knew of this issue in April of 2017. Meanwhile transmissions are cooking around the country. The irony is that the tranny has a cooler.

Secondly, I was told that the fluid should be replaced at 30K. Really, am I telepathic? There is nothing in the manual about scheduled maintenance and you have to rely on the codes popping up on your dash which to my knowledge never happened. This is just CYA on their part. I have never, ever seen this replacement time frame on any automatic that I've owned.

This all fits the Honda MO. I had a "94 Accord that the oil seal for the camshaft literal fell out. Luckily, it happened in my driveway when the car was warming up. Honda knew about this problem but would "encourage" people to change the seals when replacing the timing belts thus getting the consumer to pay for their screwup..

Anyway, happy thoughts and best wishes to all.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Other than the diganostic charge where does the $340 come from? I believe that the transmission judder TSB is an 8/80 item. Did you get any emissions warnings or check engine warnings? I call BS on the 30k fluid change as gospel although IMO it's a good idea anyway. They can probably tell with a scantool if the reminder ever came up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The original printing does contain that information. Honda removed it from the 2017 manual and it doesn't appear in the 2018-current manuals.
I didn’t know that. I wonder why?
Was there owner error that created transmission issues?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Other than the diganostic charge where does the $340 come from? I believe that the transmission judder TSB is an 8/80 item. Did you get any emissions warnings or check engine warnings? I call BS on the 30k fluid change as gospel although IMO it's a good idea anyway. They can probably tell with a scantool if the reminder ever came up.
No reminders or check engine that I remember. The charge was for 1/2 diagnostic or 65.00 and the remainder for the flush. They craftily attributed the judder to the injectors and made me pay for a pricey flush, I mean, after all I was 10k negligent on the fluid change :rolleyes:.
I could of raised a stink ,but the money is not going to change my lifestyle and I was happy to have it all done same day as the wife and I made a short adventure of it in that area and picked it up on the way back home.

Reactions: 14v6

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
The only thing you can do with the scan tool is reset individual codes. It can't display a maintenance code history.

I didn’t know that. I wonder why?
Was there owner error that created transmission issues?

Some people think it's a conspiracy, but Honda writes the manuals (not dealers) and Honda doesn't make a penny if a customer pays a dealer to check the transmission fluid level.

I think it's more to reduce liability.

Examples:

Owner A burns their arm on the exhaust manifold while reaching down into the engine compartment for the transmission fluid dipstick.

Owner B loses a finger in the radiator fan while reaching for the dipstick.

Owner C doesn't fully insert the dipstick and it falls out and the transmission fills with rain water.

Transmissions don't consume fluid the way engines consume oil. Also, if an engine runs out of oil it could overheat, seize, and sustain permanent damage. If a transmission runs out of fluid, it typically stops transmitting power as if it's in neutral without sustaining permanent damage. So, it's generally not necessary for owners to routinely check their transmission fluid level.

No reminders or check engine that I remember. The charge was for 1/2 diagnostic or 65.00 and the remainder for the flush. They craftily attributed the judder to the injectors and made me pay for a pricey flush, I mean, after all I was 10k negligent on the fluid change :rolleyes:.
I could of raised a stink ,but the money is not going to change my lifestyle and I was happy to have it all done same day as the wife and I made a short adventure of it in that area and picked it up on the way back home.
After torque converter judder is verified, Honda reimburses the dealer for the software update and flush for 8/80.

A cylinder imbalance due to one or more faulty injectors can also cause a vibration, but it looks completely different on the data capture when you compare the engine RPM, input shaft speed, and output shaft speed. TCC judder will show up as a significant variation in the ISS while engine speed remains relatively steady. Vibrations caused by the engine will be seen as small, but equal variations in both the engine speed, ISS, and OSS.

The injectors are covered by the 3/36 new vehicle limited warranty and by the 7/70 California emissions warranty in
California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, NewYork, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.

The torque converter judder issue is covered for 8/80 per the TSB.

If the dealer charged you anything, then they "double dipped" because they were also reimbursed by Honda for these repairs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After torque converter judder is verified, Honda reimburses the dealer for the software update and flush for 8/80.

A cylinder imbalance due to one or more faulty injectors can also cause a vibration, but it looks completely different on the data capture when you compare the engine RPM, input shaft speed, and output shaft speed. TCC judder will show up as a significant variation in the ISS while engine speed remains relatively steady. Vibrations caused by the engine will be seen as small, but equal variations in both the engine speed, ISS, and OSS.

The injectors are covered by the 3/36 new vehicle limited warranty and by the 7/70 California emissions warranty in
California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, NewYork, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington.

The torque converter judder issue is covered for 8/80 per the TSB.

If the dealer charged you anything, then they "double dipped" because they were also reimbursed by Honda for these repairs.
In this case the judder went away with the injector replacement as noted on my invoice (after test driving it), then they moved on to the flushing. I think their need to replace tranny fluid at 30K is made up out of whole cloth thereby shifting responsibility. If someone can show me where" IT IS WRITTEN (30K)" I would be interested in seeing it.
I haven't received my satisfaction survey and likely won't. If they replaced my wiper blades I would see one no doubt.

·
Administrator
16,069 Posts
In this case the judder went away with the injector replacement as noted on my invoice (after test driving it), then they moved on to the flushing. I think their need to replace tranny fluid at 30K is made up out of whole cloth thereby shifting responsibility. If someone can show me where" IT IS WRITTEN (30K)" I would be interested in seeing it.
I haven't received my satisfaction survey and likely won't. If they replaced my wiper blades I would see one no doubt.
If the "judder" went away after the injector replacement, then it wasn't torque converter judder as addressed by the TSBs. In order for Honda to reimburse the dealer for this repair, they have to record the judder using a snap shot and the graph has to indicate a specific type of judder.

What likely happened was the the dealer misdiagnosed your issue as torque converter judder and Honda wouldn't reimburse them for the flush so they passed the cost of their mistake on to you.

There is no 30,000-mile transmission fluid replacement interval - that's something made up by the dealer. The transmission fluid is supposed to be replaced when code 3 appears on the Maintenance Minder along with A1 or B1. On average, code 3 will appear for the first time at an oil change near 45,000 miles then ever 30,000 miles after that. The exact distance will vary depending on actual driving conditions since the vehicle calculates engine oil life and transmission fluid life based on actual driving conditions.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts