Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
If the "judder" went away after the injector replacement, then it wasn't torque converter judder as addressed by the TSBs. In order for Honda to reimburse the dealer for this repair, they have to record the judder using a snap shot and the graph has to indicate a specific type of judder.

What likely happened was the the dealer misdiagnosed your issue as torque converter judder and Honda wouldn't reimburse them for the flush so they passed the cost of their mistake on to you.

There is no 30,000-mile transmission fluid replacement interval - that's something made up by the dealer. The transmission fluid is supposed to be replaced when code 3 appears on the Maintenance Minder along with A1 or B1. On average, code 3 will appear for the first time at an oil change near 45,000 miles then ever 30,000 miles after that. The exact distance will vary depending on actual driving conditions since the vehicle calculates engine oil life and transmission fluid life based on actual driving conditions.
I brought it in for the tranny TSB, but the actual cause was the injectors so they really didn't misdiagnose anything. I'll be monitoring the fluid condition going forward. Interestingly, why such a frequent change interval if the software fix is supposed to help remedy this problem, IE proper cooling? I can understand 30K for people that tow, but otherwise..?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I know that the $340 isn't a big deal to the OP but isn't it ironic that a vehicle is brought in for a transmission TSB and it turns out to be injectors that are covered by a fuel injector TSB of which a diagnostic charge is applied. Kind of a shady area. One thing to point out though is that normally a trans fluid change is drain 3.5-4 quarts and refill for around $100 ish. I've never read of a 3x drain and fill for routine maintenance. A 3x drain and fill is part of the trans TSB though but like Zroger mentioned, they need a snapshot to confirm the judder to perform the TSB. The dealer knows that "by the book" once they diagnosed the injectors as the issue it was replace injectors and disregard trans fluid until it comes up on the minder.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know that the $340 isn't a big deal to the OP but isn't it ironic that a vehicle is brought in for a transmission TSB and it turns out to be injectors that are covered by a fuel injector TSB of which a diagnostic charge is applied. Kind of a shady area. One thing to point out though is that normally a trans fluid change is drain 3.5-4 quarts and refill for around $100 ish. I've never read of a 3x drain and fill for routine maintenance. A 3x drain and fill is part of the trans TSB though but like Zroger mentioned, they need a snapshot to confirm the judder to perform the TSB. The dealer knows that "by the book" once they diagnosed the injectors as the issue it was replace injectors and disregard trans fluid until it comes up on the minder.
In this case just as a general FYI, the transmission was flushed using their process which is pushing fluid in while observing fluid coming out by a sight glass or clear tube, I guess, until the fluid runs red instead of brown. New injectors and delivery tubes are a good thing. Hopefully they are of better quality than original.

·
Administrator
16,072 Posts
In this case just as a general FYI, the transmission was flushed using their process which is pushing fluid in while observing fluid coming out by a sight glass or clear tube, I guess, until the fluid runs red instead of brown.
Honda says not to do that.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Just satisfy my curiosity, I am sitting here perusing our dealerships maintenance chart where it shows replacing the 6-speed transmission fluid cost as $75 and the fluid change in the 9-speed as $330?

Bill

·
Administrator
16,072 Posts
Just satisfy my curiosity, I am sitting here perusing our dealerships maintenance chart where it shows replacing the 6-speed transmission fluid cost as $75 and the fluid change in the 9-speed as $330?

Bill
Correct. The fluid replacement procedure is more labor-intensive for the 9-speed and the fluid is considerably more expensive. See this post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 E with 42000 miles and was towing our travel trailer and got a warning about over heating the transmission fluid. I usually have the transmission fluid changed every April, didn't do it this year. When we got to a Honda dealer they flushed it twice and refilled. Then ran a software update. That did the trick. No more overheating the transmission and the shifting was more smooth than it was before. I am convinced that the S/W update was the big difference maker.
Does it look like this? It happened to me twice on my way to Vegas. The Honda dealer in Vegas couldn't find anything.

Attachments

61 - 70 of 70 Posts