Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched through the forums and have found the tsb's on the trannies. I have a different issue that the dealer cannot figure out. I had an oil change done and while the 06 was up on the rack, I noticed that there was transmission fluid all over the transmission and sprayed all around it.

I have a brand new garage and there is not tranny fluid on the floor. I assumed that it was leaking while running becuase of that reason. I took it to the dealer and they said that they could not find any leaks in the transmission, even after they took it on a 20 mile test drive and that they would not take it apart unless they knew the reason for the leak.

They ended up putting dye in the transmission, degreasing the entire underside so that the leak would appear if it happened again. I was to bring it back in a week and let them look at it.

I have been driving it for 2 weeks now and checking daily for any sign of tranmission fluid. It is not leaking??? This is a 2006 RT with a mfg date of april 06. I am worried that this will not show up until after the warranty has expired, I have 39k on it now. I did buy the Honda extended warranty.

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Not on my Ridge, but on my previous Durango, a service place slightly overfilled the tranny and when it heated up it overflowed. Made a mess, but I ran the truck for 100,000+ without any further trouble. May this is your problem.

·
Premium Member
8,121 Posts
There is a known issue of what is called porous transmission housing. Some of the transmission housing have very slow leaks because of a fault during casting. When the housing are cast, some of the housings leak due to the housing walls have tiny holes that allow the transmission fluid to weep out. My RTL's transmission was replaced at 17K due to this issue. My wifes 2000 Accord had it's transmission replaced three weeks after buying it for the very same fault.

On the bottom of the tranny, look for a smallish black cover (It is secured by two 10mm bolts. If the transmission fluid appears to be coming from there you have either a faulty torque converter seal or the porous transmission housing issue.

Honda does know about it and if replacing the torque converter seal doesn't resolve the issue, I would persue having the transmission replaced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I did read in the forum about he housing, it seams strange that I never had a leak, then I did, and now it is not leaking. You would think that if there was a leak, it would always leak. I am goint to see if I can ge a little closer and take a look. The dealer does not seem to want to do anything, I was trying to find a tsb that would require them to take the transmission apart.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had one of my friends say the same thing. I would be inclined to beleive that if I didnt see it with my on eyes. The tranny fluid was only around the transmission and it was definetly tf. It was not only on the bottom but around the transmission. I am still preplexed by the entire ordeal?:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,121 Posts
Okay, this is something that happened to me. I had my engine oil changed. In the process of changing the engine oil, they checked my transmission fluid level. The tech (sic) did not properly insert the transmission fluid dipstick all the way into the filler tube. I drove home and noticed what seemed to be a large amount of tranny fluid dripping down from under my truck. I popped the hood and found the tranny fluid dipstick was about half way up and the fluid was coming out of the filler tube.

After reinserting the dipstick, I drove back to the station and they checked their film and they showed they tech checking the TF level and reinserting the TF dipstick. They steam cleaned the bottom of the truck at no charge and refunded me the cost of the oil change.

I would clean the bottom of the truck very well to remove all traces of the stain and watch for more leakage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer did a steam clean and added dye to the fluid. I have never had a drip on the floor of my garage. The floor is less than 3 mths old and is extremely clean, I could not have missed it. I have not had a leak that I can see since the steam cleaning of the underside.

Thanks for all the info!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently drove to toronto from long island. 2 to three weeks later i noticed oil on driveway. smells like oil level was a little low.removed inspection plate(black) see oil in housing. drip seems to begetting worse. mechanic ????

·
Premium Member
8,121 Posts
I recently drove to toronto from long island. 2 to three weeks later i noticed oil on driveway. smells like oil level was a little low.removed inspection plate(black) see oil in housing. drip seems to begetting worse. mechanic ????
Yeppers .

·
Registered
1 Posts
when I got my '06 from the dealer and noticed the next morning red fluid on my garage floor. I brought it back to the dealer and they tighten up the "test port" which the technician believed to be the problem. The fixs only prevent oil dripped on my garage floor, but continuing a small leak enough to to get my tranny pan dirty and mud look a like. 3 years at 55k miles I brought it back and they replaced both torque converter seals, time will tell if it a real fix. The truck performed great, no other complaint.
:act051:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 Honda Ridgeline, appx 80,000 miles on it. Bought it used back in Sept 2015. It broke down Monday (6/20/16) and I took it to the nearest Honda dealer. The diagnostic shows that the automatic transmission fluid leaked into the cooling system and contaminated the coolant. The dealership said Fidelity warranty can't cover it and the cost for this repair is $7,500+. The dealership's repair service manager will contact Honda's district manager (New Jersey) and see what they can do. Because this problem is not due to any negligence on my part.

Any suggestions on what to do and how to approach this? I don't have 8 grand stashed away to pay for this...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had the seals replaced in 2013 now they are leaking again. This time it will be an out of pocket expense. I ran the porous case due to casting issuse and i got the thats ridiculous look and speech so I am assuming they have no idea of it and willbe forced to fork over $1100. Not a happy owner right now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts