Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 RTL has 122k miles and I have an issue where sometimes it won't go in reverse. It will just make a sort of grinding sound. What is strange is that it doesn't always do it and when it does I can put it in drive and move a couple feet and try again, and then it usually works. I've checked the transmission fluid and it is fine. Pretty sure that it will certainly need a new transmission but figured I'd post to see if anyone else has experienced this. Not looking forward to expensive repairs!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Do you check the transmission fluid as instructed in the manual? I don't know about our trannies but, back in the day, reverse was always the first to go when the fluid was low.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Odd there would not be a code. Unless it is really a mechanical defect and the system thinks it is in reverse.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
This is from the book you should have got with the truck. Page 193, if the "D" is flashing in any position, possible problem with the tranny. If flashing with the malfunction indicator lamp there is a problem in the automatic transmission control system. Avoid rapid acceleration and have checked asap.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,966 Posts

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well, you definitely have a Tranny problem...:(
..... if it's not something simple like fluid level or a sensor or something like that... which it doesn't sound like it is...... (maybe a valve... but I don't know how involved that gets)
..... then it will definitely need tearing into. FYI, my experience with "won't go into reverse" problems in the past were of two varieties. The first sounds more like yours & it was on a Plymouth Voyager with a 2.4L Mitsubishi engine.... I have not clue who made the tranny. It would just work intermittently, but when it did, it worked normally. Turned out to be a broken "dog" that toggled the tranny into reverse. I was "hanging" semi-out of position so that it was a matter of luck as to whether it would work or not.
I know nothing about automatic transmissions or how similar one is to another, but you may have a similar problem to that. It was a surprisingly simple & fairly inexpensive repair... also a common problem for that tranny (they showed me the broken part).... apparently easy access to that area of the transmission. I would think you might have this kind of "engagement mechanism" type problem, given your description.
The other "won't go in reverse" problem I had was in a big block Suburban with Turbo-Hydramatic tranny which did a lot of towing.... high mileage for a GM (around 125K). THAT one started having trouble with "slowly" engaging into reverse; which was an early symptom of other sloppy shifting symptoms, including utilmate total failure (bound up & seized) on steady, steep, highway speed incline on a Sierra trip ... 395 north of Lee Vining (not towing at the time). THAT required tranny replacement.
You definitely need to get it into a shop..... and FYI, my experience with transmissions is that your best bet is to take it to a long established independent transmission shop, which may be few & far between. I'm not talking about chain shops like AAMCO... but a true independent that is JUST a tranny shop (one that's been doing it successfully for years). They can often 'fix' a problem (as with my Voyager above) as opposed to replacing or rebuilding your tranny. No reason for you to take it to a dealer unless that's just your shop of choice. (Correct me guys if there is something special about our Ridge tranny that would suggest dealer preference for service)

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,966 Posts
Have anyone was able to find out what was the problem with the reverse, my is doing the same
Welcome to the ROC. It might be helpful if you tell us what troubleshooting you've done. Miles, trim, and service history too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts