Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my Transmission Fluid today on my 2017 RTL it had 31,400 mi on it. I'm attaching a couple pictures of the change and the one is quite surprising considering this vehicle only has 31,000 mi on it. The fluid doesn't look healthy to me at all. More like you'd see from a vehicle with higher mileage IMO. And since I've never had a Honda vehicle before this one I have none of those to compare to. So I'll rely on everyone here's judgement to see what yins' all think. I did take a sample for Blackstone labs to sample and get some results on the additive package wear in particular (asked specifically in the comments for that one on the return slip) so we will see what they have to say about the condition of the fluid at 30k miles. It will be interesting to see those results for sure since I've had them testing my Ford 1900 Tractor for a while. It looks to me like 30k fluid changes are a good idea though. And while 3.3 quarts is what everyone has been saying to put in I measured my removal oil at a little over 4 quarts. I ended putting in all 4 quarts! I will have to check again but it was at the lower mark.

Steve

trannyfluidchangeinridgeline1_4_20.jpg see the pan trannyfluidchangeinridgeline1_4_20.jpg

·
Registered
447 Posts
I changed my Transmission Fluid today on my 2017 RTL it had 31,400 mi on it. I'm attaching a couple pictures of the change and the one is quite surprising considering this vehicle only has 31,000 mi on it. The fluid doesn't look healthy to me at all. More like you'd see from a vehicle with higher mileage IMO. And since I've never had a Honda vehicle before this one I have none of those to compare to. So I'll rely on everyone here's judgement to see what yins' all think. I did take a sample for Blackstone labs to sample and get some results on the additive package wear in particular (asked specifically in the comments for that one on the return slip) so we will see what they have to say about the condition of the fluid at 30k miles. It will be interesting to see those results for sure since I've had them testing my Ford 1900 Tractor for a while. It looks to me like 30k fluid changes are a good idea though. And while 3.3 quarts is what everyone has been saying to put in I measured my removal oil at a little over 4 quarts. I ended putting in all 4 quarts! I will have to check again but it was at the lower mark.

Steve

View attachment 398650
Looking at the picture, if that’s the transmission fluid on the left and engine oil on the right, it looks good. If that’s new transmission fluid on the left and old transmission fluid on the right, I’d be worried and would contact the dealer.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
You may have been overfilled from the factory? Do you tow, are you in a hotter climate? That's the beauty of the 6 speed you can do it yourself for less than the cost of a tank of gas in your own garage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice job on keeping fluid changes. Those 2nd gen Ridgelines have a in-line transmission filter that is pretty easy to change. I want to add one of these to my 1g Ridgeline. Napa sells them for $39.99 part #363-2901 or Honda part #25430PLR003 they use them on the FIT and other models. there is another "strainer" inside the trans you cant replace without disassemble of trans. The external one i would change with every fluid change if was mine

·
Registered
30 Posts
I will be changing mine on the same interval as my '03, 184K. Pilot that's never had a trans issue. Waiting until it looks like that is too long IMO, but your car thanks you for taking care of it. There are drivers out there that go way too long between changes. As long as the gas door works...
ATF changes every 15K for me.

·
Registered
923 Posts
It's certainly not necessary but there is an external filter you can change as well.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I did take a sample for Blackstone labs to sample and get some results on the additive package wear in particular (asked specifically in the comments for that one on the return slip) so we will see what they have to say about the condition of the fluid at 30k miles.
Sub'd to follow - please post a pic of that report here when you get it back (y) ;)

Did you happen to send a sample of unused Honda ATF DW-1 for baseline comparison? I ask because my experience has been that Blackstone compares to 'all typical tranny fluids', not a specific fluid, and the additive packages can vary widely from specific fluid to specific fluid, especially those that aren't of the common 'generic' fluid types.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I’ve always serviced my Honda transmissions at 30k miles. And it always comes out very dark. I think it’s just the design. Lower volume and higher temps. My odyssey and crv were the same way.

·
Registered
397 Posts
They all look like that. Mine did. So did my wife's Pilot. The first change (or 1/3 change) is always very dark. It starts to look better if you keep it up. How did the magnetic plug look? Scary huh?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No base line sample. I'm hoping they have a baseline for DW-1 but if they don't I'll ask for a sample kit and see if I can get that over to them for testing. That way any of us on here can use the baseline sample then too as a comparison if we test it. (which I will be following up with samples on mine)

Steve

·
Administrator
13,317 Posts
The transmission fluid in a friend's 2005 Civic looked like coffee when he looked at it around 50,000 miles. He sold the car at 100,000 miles and it was still going.

·
Registered
227 Posts
After 30,000, the fluid looks perfectly fine, especially if the transmission is shifting and working fine. As noted by someone else, cleaning off the magnet in the drain plug is always a little scary looking , but that is normal as well. You’re in great shape and smart for changing the fluid every 30K.

·
Registered
235 Posts
One of my main reasons for sticking with the 30k mile service is to clean the magnetic plug. It’s always coated and no other way to clean other than perform a drain n fill.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I’ve talk to some f150 guys that are replacing there oil pans w a pan that has a drain bolt. For drain n fills.
The replacement pans have a magnetic drain bolt like Honda’s.

Officially, Ford says 120k then flush!
They pull the trans cooler lines and pump fluids until the fluid is clean...
Don’t pull the pan to change filter or clean the two magnets! BUT the techs don’t agree with this...and suggests replacing fluids at 60k.
So all brands are dealing with what the dealer recommend vs the manufacturer...

·
Registered
189 Posts
In that case, you can capture the fluid, clean the plug, then pour the captured fluid back in. ;)
No way I’m going to put the old fluid back in after I drained it!😱
Since I drained it out, it‘s getting fresh fluid. Might even extend the life of the tranny!
one thing that comes to mind with your response, YOU CRAZY?🤪

·
Administrator
13,317 Posts
No way I’m going to put the old fluid back in after I drained it!😱
Since I drained it out, it‘s getting fresh fluid. Might even extend the life of the tranny!
one thing that comes to mind with your response, YOU CRAZY?🤪
It was a joke. :) He said "one of his main reasons...", which is why I made the silly suggestion to clean only the drain plug without replacing any of the fluid. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts