Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I remember when I was contracting with a Honda dealer to do their warranty my buddy the service director asked me if I was having issues with the transmission shifting erratically when I punch the skinny pedal all the way to the floor and I told him that I wasn't experiencing that. He said that if I do start to have the issue I have to just change the __________________ fluid and it will take care of the problem.

The problem is that I don't remember if he said I needed to change the transmission fluid or if it's the rear differential fluid that I have to change. And now occasionally I'll experience this slip grab slip grab slip grab it happens in like less than 1 second intervals and just letting off the gas pedal ever so slightly makes it accelerate like it's always done.

Does anybody know?

I'm guessing transmission but I can't afford to do both right now so I kind of need to know which is more likely to cause this issue so that I can do at least one of them and try to get this solved.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I'm guessing that you are not the first owner of this vehicle. First, I'd try to find out the service history of your RL to see what services were done. Guess I don't understand your statement that you were contracting with Honda to do their warranty?

I'd start with the Transmission fluid change as the rear diff has nothing to do with shifting. Saying that, again, getting a history of what fluids were changed is important if you can get it from the dealership.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sad to say but I am the first owner of this vehicle. It now has 75,000 miles on it and the last oil change was done at about 40,000 miles and the trans fluid and rear diff fluid has never been changed either. Just couldn't afford to do them at the time it was due.

As to contracting, I was an independent warranty administrator for a few Honda and Acura dealers, so I processed their warranty repairs to get them paid from the manufacturer.

What I do know is that these Honda engines are tight.... My oil level is still at full even after neglecting changing the oil for over 35,000 miles (purely out of necessity rather than wanting to - You couldn't do this with a Subaru engine, that's for sure).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Do the transmission fluid change and oil changes yourself. You can look up how to do both on this forum and save yourself a great deal of $.

Be sure to use Honda Tranny fluid and a good quality oil and filter.

I'd wait on the rear diff. If you don't have the $. The tranny. and engine oil are a necessity.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Sad to say but I am the first owner of this vehicle. It now has 75,000 miles on it and the last oil change was done at about 40,000 miles and the trans fluid and rear diff fluid has never been changed either. Just couldn't afford to do them at the time it was due.

As to contracting, I was an independent warranty administrator for a few Honda and Acura dealers, so I processed their warranty repairs to get them paid from the manufacturer.

What I do know is that these Honda engines are tight.... My oil level is still at full even after neglecting changing the oil for over 35,000 miles (purely out of necessity rather than wanting to - You couldn't do this with a Subaru engine, that's for sure).
Wow. I'm not sure you can afford not to change them. Do the work yourself and it's not that expensive.

If I can do it, anyone can.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. I'm not sure you can afford not to change them. Do the work yourself and it's not that expensive.

If I can do it, anyone can.
Yeah I guess I'm one of those folks that hasn't gotten oil and grease under his nails since about 1993, but I think I'm heading that way seeing what the dealers charge to just change some fluid.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If you looked at these fluids the same as you looked at gas ("I've GOT to have them"), you'd find the cash to buy the fluids & you'd get under them & do the drain & fill.
I'm going to be a little bit rude here & say you're 'choosing' to neglect your expensive vehicle because you're sure you can get away with it. Again I'll say that if you knew the car would blow-up if you didn't change them, it would have gotten done. It's not THAT expensive to buy fluids. My advise is change your mind set & protect your expensive investment (I'm assuming you paid for this vehicle).
You are potentially ruining a valuable possession for the sake of minor service expense (DIY when you have to). I'm not saying sometimes you need to 'stretch' service intervals.... but this goes way beyond stretching.

Just my 2cents. Good luck getting current.... hope your buggy hasn't suffered too much.

:)

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Pay me now or pay me later. This is the kind of maintenance that you can't afford NOT TO DO. I'd be surprised if you haven't already caused some damage to your engine in the way of unnecessary wear and tear.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Apologies in advance.... HOLY CRICKET CRAP BATMAN! After 35K miles, the substance occupying space in the oil pan, pathways and galleys of your engine no longer qualifies as lubriCANT. Used grease from the deep fryer at a local Jack-in-the-Box has more friction reduction potential than the sludge in your crank case.

Its an effing miracle the engine isn't rattling like an 19th century steam engine at this point. Get thee to a Jiffy Lube, STAT!

So sorry for the financial woes. Been there too and it sucks. Sincere hopes that situation changes in your favor!

Stepping of the soap box now.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,263 Posts
OMFG.... 35k miles your out of your mind, for less than $100, you could change the Oil and Filter, Rear Diff and and the Transmission twice.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
OMFG.... 35k miles your out of your mind, for less than $100, you could change the Oil and Filter, Rear Diff and and the Transmission twice.
Personally, I'd sacrifice dinner $ for a month to get the cash together for such a vital service need. Stranded and facing a gazzilion $ repair vs. a few $ now is an easy choice to make. When I was dead broke, the 318 in my 70 Challenger didn't get an oil change for years - but at least it leaked enough oil to require a new quart every other fill up. Hey! At least it was getting new oil mixed into the sludge. At the time - that's what justified priorities.

I remember using the factory installed "audible low oil indicator" (valve tick) method to determine when it needed oil. LOL. Something tells me that Detroit iron was much more tolerant of such methods than the 3.5 Honda would be.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Personally, I'd sacrifice dinner $ for a month to get the cash together for such a vital service need. Stranded and facing a gazzilion $ repair vs. a few $ now is an easy choice to make. When I was dead broke, the 318 in my 70 Challenger didn't get an oil change for years - but at least it leaked enough oil to require a new quart every other fill up. Hey! At least it was getting new oil mixed into the sludge. At the time - that's what justified priorities.

I remember using the factory installed "audible low oil indicator" (valve tick) method to determine when it needed oil. LOL. Something tells me that Detroit iron was much more tolerant of such methods than the 3.5 Honda would be.
.... actually, with newer/better oils, better engine materials & engineering, better filters, etc. he's likely not as bad off as we would have been in the old days. Which is not to say he's in good shape.... but he's probably "OK". Just crazy foolish.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
If there is anything more expensive than owning a vehicle, it is owning a time-bomb.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts

Not to chastise you, as I don't know your reasoning for not changing fluids, and while your point about Honda engines being tight, regular maintenance is what keeps Honda engines running. My recommendation is to change all fluids and get yourself on a schedule, be it the Maintenance minder or the owners manual. You may be setting yourself up for a catastrophic failure due to your own neglect.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
After 35K, how much oil would drain out vs. how much would be sludge?

I wonder how the TF looks and smells?
We won't even talk about the power steering fluid, what is in my truck is starting to look like fudge.
And maybe brake fluid?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts