Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Awesome, you are a fart smeller, ahh smart feller. My 1st "real" job was a journeyman rodbuster.....
My second real job was as an apprentice firefighter-medic leading to a journeyman firefighter-medic after four years. We didn't start out as a journeyman.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I drained my transmission and filled with the 4 quarts that the dealership/online info told me to use and now my transmission is overfilled. Is there a bunch of junk in my transmission taking up space or something? How can the dealership specs be so far off? Should I drain some out or is his a sign of a more serious problem?

I’ve checked the dipstick a couple times both on flat ground on different locations and it reads the same high while the vehicle is running.

View attachment 408551
The trans fluid (according to Honda) should be checked with the engine at normal operating temperature. Put the car in park and shut the car off. Wait 30 seconds and then check the level.
I always measure the fluid that comes out. If the fluid level was okay before I drained the trans, then I put in the same amount that came out. I do that for all my equipment that needs a fluid change. There is no guessing that way.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you check the fluid level with the engine running, it will indicate higher than actual levels. The Honda automatic is not like conventional automatics that you check with the engine running. ALWAYS check the Honda 5AT and 6AT hot with the engine off and between 60-90 seconds of shutdown.
Shut it off, get out of the truck, grab a rag, walk to the front, open the hood, find the dip stick, pull it out, wipe it off, dip it, and read... sounds tough... may need to set special time aside...

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,781 Posts
General dipstick pondering... why is it that some dipsticks on some cars show one fluid level on one side of the dipstick and a markedly different fluid level on the other side of the dipstick? That drives me nuts and is probably a question that won't get answered in this life!

·
Super Moderator
1,724 Posts
Nope you don't need it answered but it's simple. The bend where it goes down causes that as it hits the sides going in. Simple see ?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,781 Posts
Nope you don't need it answered but it's simple. The bend where it goes down causes that as it hits the sides going in. Simple see ?
If that's the case, I would expect to see the correct level on one side and nothing indicated on the other side. Methinks it's not so simple. ;)

Bottom line, my interpretation of your post is that the highest reading is correct.

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
198 Posts
Do the gen 1 trans dipsticks not say "hot" on one side like the gen 2? On mine you only use the reading from the side that says hot.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts