Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Transmission overheating now replaced

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  jeb 
#1 ·
I have been gone for a while but wanted to return to see if anyone else needed to replace a transmission at 80,000 miles. I tow a 4000 lb trailer 10 times per year on mostly flat roads (NJ). Change the. Fluid and even weighed the trailer on a truck scale a couple of times. 2013 the AT light came on I read the manual and let the system cool. Made it home and took the truck right to the dealer. A diagnostic charge and a promise everything was okay and I was back in action. Six months later I am driving without towing anything and the light comes on. It took two hours to cool off then came back on in ten miles. Back to the dealer and I am told I need a new transmission. Spoke with the nationally known shops and before I could tell them details they said I was probably overheating and the transmission was a known issue on Honda and some Acura models.

$3000 gone and driving again but with much less confidence as camping season starts again.

Anyone else.

#3 ·
That's the first report of a failed tranny that I can recall SJ.

While I had mine replaced at 56k miles, that was due to the top gear whine, no failure involved.

Assuming your RL is maintained and operated properly, I'm surprised to hear this. Any details on what failed requiring a rebuild?

#4 ·
My mother has owned 6 accords starting from 1984.....every one of them was a great car....the first thing to fail each time was the transmission (although the 84 did have a bad trunk gasket and her trunk rotted out)......I had always bought Jeeps which has been a disaster up until this 2007 RTL.....I was very weary of the trans and even purchased the 100k extended warranty.......118k and no trans issues although I don't tow anything.....great truck but I still to this day make sure I shift from reverse to D with my foot on the brake...wait a half second for the metallic "clunk" sound and then take my foot of the brake and proceed forward.

sorry to hear that your trans failed........2 things I would never do with my Ridge....tow or actually 'use' the VTM-4 lock button.....I'm pretty sure that is a driveline self destruct button renamed.

Honda does so many things right.....but automatic transmissions still seem to be outside their wheelhouse.....

#5 ·
I agree that trannies are not Honda's strong suit, but I have no concerns about using VTM-4 lock. And I wouldn't worry about towing either.

Now that I think about it, our Russian friends managed to grenade a RL tranny by being stupid. Seems they were slamming it back and forth between D and R. There are pics of the damage somewhere on the ROC.

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Yep, that's what I was thinking of. That's gotta be one of the best threads on the ROC. ;)

#8 ·
I'm sorry to read about your trouble SJRidge; not a cheap thing to fix.

In the summer months, I tow a heavy boat that is over the RL's weight limit. Because of this, I have to change the transmission fluid often and I have to keep up with changing out the rear-differential fluid as well. According to my dealer’s mechanic, since I'm keeping up with the fluid changes I should remain “good to go.” I just turned 60k on the odometer and I have had no drivetrain problems to date.

The only problems I’ve had so far have been with the navigation computer, a number of different instrument panel light-bulbs burning out, and a constant fuse-popping issue with the rear-seat 12v power outlet.

#9 ·
Thanks for the comments and advice. I have towed campers for years so I always "over" maintain the trucks. Rear, tranny, breaks checked and or replaced every year by the dealer so I get the right fluids and parts. Having recurring air conditioner issues now as well. The tranny cooler and radiator fans are all operating correctly. I love the truck but if the trend keeps up it will be time to start looking. Was hoping this would be a 200,000 mile truck.

#10 ·
Out of curiosity, do you tow in D or D3?

#11 ·
+1 on that question.

As well, the mechanic reports should include specific mention of exactly what failed and why this leads to the need for a replaced transmission. Otherwise, they might as well say "replace entire vehicle, just to make sure".

Lots of people, myself included, tow at or near the weight limit. Transmission failure is not a common issue on the Ridgeline, towing or not.

#13 ·
I'm not aware of any major problems with the Ridgeline transmission.

Now the early 2000s.... Any thing Honda with a v6 and an auto had a glass transmission. Clutches were a bit to small and they would over heat and wear out quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.