Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was backing out of my driveway yesterday when I had the message “Stop driving when safe. Transmission problem. See manual” The transmission would shift to N from R. The message would clear. I would then shift back to R again and get the message. I restarted the truck which worked to allow me to drive to work. Fortunately I have a 5 mile commute. Truck made it home fine. Called the dealer today, dropped the truck off this evening. I am extremely let down as I traded my 2019 in as I was having rough shifting and poor performance with the 6 speed. This is the second tome my 2022 sport is in the shop with 700 miles on it. I haven’t seen many other people with a similar problem. Any ideas?
Speedometer Reflex camera Gauge Automotive design Personal luxury car

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
696 Posts
What happened the first time it went to the shop?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What happened the first time it went to the shop?
The day I picked it up, I drove out of the parking lot and it was making a metallic sound coming from the front end over every bump. I had a 2019 for almost 2 years so I am used to every sound the truck makes. I brought it back and the sales manager drove with me who denied anything was wrong. They went back and grabbed the lead technician who agreed with me in 30 seconds upon driving there was a problem. The truck never came home with me the day I bought it. I was told it was an issue with the bump stops needing to be greased. It took them 3 days to figure this out so I am not fully sure that’s what it was.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
696 Posts
I assume the rattle was fixed. Either it went away on its own after 3 days or they didn’t want to tell you what they did to fix it. I doubt it was fixed by “greasing a bump stop”. 9 speed failures are rare - hopefully a loose connector from the first repair.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume the rattle was fixed. Either it went away on its own after 3 days or they didn’t want to tell you what they did to fix it. I doubt it was fixed by “greasing a bump stop”. 9 speed failures are rare - hopefully a loose connector from the first repair.
That’s my thought, as they initially went through it the first day and had no answer for me. I’m hoping they give me an answer or can replace something. Not towards the Ridgeline as a whole, but my confidence will be down considerably in this specific truck moving forward.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A dealer just had to buy my 2018 RTLE for top dollar after they botched a transmission replacement for a few months and ruined my truck. having a 2022 black edition makes me scared to see this...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was backing out of my driveway yesterday when I had the message “Stop driving when safe. Transmission problem. See manual” The transmission would shift to N from R. The message would clear. I would then shift back to R again and get the message. I restarted the truck which worked to allow me to drive to work. Fortunately I have a 5 mile commute. Truck made it home fine. Called the dealer today, dropped the truck off this evening. I am extremely let down as I traded my 2019 in as I was having rough shifting and poor performance with the 6 speed. This is the second tome my 2022 sport is in the shop with 700 miles on it. I haven’t seen many other people with a similar problem. Any ideas? View attachment 421273
Hi, I purchased a 2022 E on 11/21/21 ,and now have about 1,400 miles. I have not had any issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
21 RL RTL-E Silver
276 Posts
A dealer just had to buy my 2018 RTLE for top dollar after they botched a transmission replacement for a few months and ruined my truck. having a 2022 black edition makes me scared to see this...
9speed trans are proving to be more reliable than the 6speed. A few might have issues, which is normal to see on any vehicle but the majority are trouble-free.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They had my truck for a few days. Could not find any codes. Called Honda engineering. Per what I was told, it is something they have heard of but happens infrequently. There is some correlation with remote starting the truck then reversing. They told me there was nothing they could do and recommended shutting the car off after remote starting before backing out of my driveway to prevent it from happening. Also asked me to take detailed notes of the conditions if it were to happen again. Obviously not happy with the conclusion. My confidence in this specific truck is diminished. It seems like the nine speed in general has less issues overall, but there is clearly a problem with this one.

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE
1,159 Posts
They had my truck for a few days. Could not find any codes. Called Honda engineering. Per what I was told, it is something they have heard of but happens infrequently. There is some correlation with remote starting the truck then reversing. They told me there was nothing they could do and recommended shutting the car off after remote starting before backing out of my driveway to prevent it from happening. Also asked me to take detailed notes of the conditions if it were to happen again. Obviously not happy with the conclusion. My confidence in this specific truck is diminished. It seems like the nine speed in general has less issues overall, but there is clearly a problem with this one.
I have only remote-started then backed up a few times so far in my 2022, but have never experienced your issue. Will report back if I do.

I'd just keep driving it like you want (remote start, turning it off, then re-starting before backing up would annoy the heck outta me!) and see if it continues.

Did they verify the transmission fluid level, something which only the dealer can do now?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts