Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo...Started up my new 2018 Ridgeline with only 460 miles on it and the dash lights up like a christmas tree! I get three messages:

1. Emission System Problem
  2. Blind spot indicator problems
  3. Transmission problem

The light that shows what gear you are in had all the letters lighted up at once as well and is blinking on and off. :surprise: So I plug in the phone (Apple iPhone) to charge as I'm pretty sure I'm calling Honda next and I get a message that says "...this function is not available while in motion...", refers to the user manual. blah, blah blah. Keep in mind, I'm still parked!

Called Honda dealer and they asked if I could drive it in. So I back up and when I start forward as it shifts from 1st to 2nd there is a horrendous clunk that shakes the whole truck (like dumping the clutch on an old car) then the truck proceeds but never shifts again and the green light that shows you how efficient you are driving is not working either.

So get to the dealer, they were clueless and had never seen this before. They give me a loaner and off I go.

Today I get a call from the mechanic and he says after talking to Honda, they decided the 4th gear pressure switch was not functioning properly. He is at a loss as to explain how that caused all the other crap that was going on or why since it never got to 4th gear how that would be a problem. Also, they have no idea what do to do about the phone message issue. So they are now out driving my truck around to see if replacing the switch (which they did) really fixed the transmission issue or not.

Anyone ever hear of this happening? Anyone believe the explanation? I traded in a CR-V with 180K miles on it that never had an issue with anything to buy what is admittedly an overpriced truck (but darn I love it when it works and I need it for work) and with less than 500 miles on it, the tranny craps out? This doesn't sound like Honda at all.

Very frustrated, any advice or comments are welcome! Thanks!

·
Administrator
20,606 Posts
Soooo...Started up my new 2018 Ridgeline with only 460 miles on it and the dash lights up like a christmas tree! I get three messages:

1. Emission System Problem
  2. Blind spot indicator problems
  3. Transmission problem

The light that shows what gear you are in had all the letters lighted up at once as well and is blinking on and off. :surprise: So I plug in the phone (Apple iPhone) to charge as I'm pretty sure I'm calling Honda next and I get a message that says "...this function is not available while in motion...", refers to the user manual. blah, blah blah. Keep in mind, I'm still parked!

Called Honda dealer and they asked if I could drive it in. So I back up and when I start forward as it shifts from 1st to 2nd there is a horrendous clunk that shakes the whole truck (like dumping the clutch on an old car) then the truck proceeds but never shifts again and the green light that shows you how efficient you are driving is not working either.

So get to the dealer, they were clueless and had never seen this before. They give me a loaner and off I go.

Today I get a call from the mechanic and he says after talking to Honda, they decided the 4th gear pressure switch was not functioning properly. He is at a loss as to explain how that caused all the other crap that was going on or why since it never got to 4th gear how that would be a problem. Also, they have no idea what do to do about the phone message issue. So they are now out driving my truck around to see if replacing the switch (which they did) really fixed the transmission issue or not.

Anyone ever hear of this happening? Anyone believe the explanation? I traded in a CR-V with 180K miles on it that never had an issue with anything to buy what is admittedly an overpriced truck (but darn I love it when it works and I need it for work) and with less than 500 miles on it, the tranny craps out? This doesn't sound like Honda at all.

Very frustrated, any advice or comments are welcome! Thanks!
I can explain some of these seemingly unrelated oddities...

For failures that can cause the vehicle's emissions to exceed federal limits by 150%, the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp aka "check engine light") turns on along with the "Emission System Problem" warning message. Certain transmission problems that result in the inability for the transmission to shift into the correct gear or fully lock the torque converter clutch will cause this.

It's normal for the transmission gear indicator to flash with many transmission-related issues.

The harsh shift is likely the result of the transmission going into "fail-safe" or "limp" mode which often commands maximum line pressure which will result in extremely hard shifts.

It's normal for the ambient meter that changes color depending on your driving to stop working if there is an "emissions system problem".

The "function not available while in motion" is likely a side effect of the transmission going into fail-safe mode. The transmission affects the speed of the vehicle and when the transmission isn't working properly systems that depend on the vehicle's speed may be affected.

The BLIS problem was also likely due to the transmission going into fail-safe mode. The BLIS needs to know if the transmission is in reverse.

Remember, modern vehicles have "computers" everywhere that all talk to each other. A single reading from a sensor is broadcast for multiple computers to use for multiple functions. If one sensor goes bad, lots of things are affected.

If the dealer performed a proper diagnosis and the 4th gear pressure switch was indeed faulty and was replaced, I suspect you'll get your truck back and everything will work properly once again.

Oh, and congratulations on your Ridgeline purchase and welcome to the Ridgeline Owner's Club! Sorry your experience started off bad, but these things happen. It's why we have warranties. :)

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,698 Posts
Not a 2G owner, but reading about the 2G issues is mind boggling. This is insane what you experienced. Keep us posted on what you fine. Looks like the 2G issues are multiplying as the years and owners progress.
I am not sure if the current gen Pilot has faced all these issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can explain some of these seemingly unrelated oddities...

For failures that can cause the vehicle's emissions to exceed federal limits by 150%, the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp aka "check engine light") turns on along with the "Emission System Problem" warning message. Certain transmission problems that result in the inability for the transmission to shift into the correct gear or fully lock the torque converter clutch will cause this.

It's normal for the transmission gear indicator to flash with many transmission-related issues.

The harsh shift is likely the result of the transmission going into "fail-safe" or "limp" mode which often commands maximum line pressure which will result in extremely hard shifts.

It's normal for the ambient meter that changes color depending on your driving to stop working if there is an "emissions system problem".

The "function not available while in motion" is likely a side effect of the transmission going into fail-safe mode. The transmission affects the speed of the vehicle and when the transmission isn't working properly systems that depend on the vehicle's speed may be affected.

The BLIS problem was also likely due to the transmission going into fail-safe mode. The BLIS needs to know if the transmission is in reverse.

Remember, modern vehicles have "computers" everywhere that all talk to each other. A single reading from a sensor is broadcast for multiple computers to use for multiple functions. If one sensor goes bad, lots of things are affected.

If the dealer performed a proper diagnosis and the 4th gear pressure switch was indeed faulty and was replaced, I suspect you'll get your truck back and everything will work properly once again.

Oh, and congratulations on your Ridgeline purchase and welcome to the Ridgeline Owner's Club! Sorry your experience started off bad, but these things happen. It's why we have warranties. :)

Thanks for the quick reply and cogent explanation. I wondered about how connected things were myself but since the truck never got out of 2nd gear, the 4th gear switch being bad seemed a bit odd. But maybe that's part of the fail safe mode to keep it from getting past 2nd? In any event, not sure I want to take it on any long trips with this kind of out of the box reliability. As you said, that's why we have warranties but that doesn't help much when it craps out again out in the middle of nowhere. (BTW...live in Nebraska so just about anywhere in the state is the middle nowhere here!:laugh:)

We've been buying CR-V's since the early 90's due to the reliability factor and have never had any sort of problem and certainly not one like this! I really love the truck and it makes hauling lumber and other projects stuff much easier than the CR-V but only if it's reliable.

Now I'm going to need to find the plans for the tranny and find out how it works...way too curious now! :grin: Ah, for the good old days when I cold work on cars myself! Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
@ThomasLH... exact same scenario you described happened to me today on my brand new 2018 ridgeline with less than 800 km on it, except the only difference was that my phone still worked. The emissions, blind spot monitoring and transmissions warning came on and it jumped to second gear and never shifted out. I brought it to the dealer immediately but I’m kinda worried I did damage to the tranny driving it all the way there in 2nd. The dealer said they’ve never seen this before and need to check with the Honda engineers on Monday for a full diagnostic, but I guess it’s becoming a common problem. Such a shame because it’s a beautiful truck and the tranny felt buttery smooth before this happened. Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
What is the history of the transmission used in the G2? At first I was thinking it was a carryover, but it obviously isn't since the G1 was a five speed right up to the end and the G2 is six speed. But I've also heard it is a 'mature' transmission that has been been in the system for a number of years, but I can't find information on models that used it. 2008+ MDX?

·
Administrator
20,606 Posts
What is the history of the transmission used in the G2? At first I was thinking it was a carryover, but it obviously isn't since the G1 was a five speed right up to the end and the G2 is six speed. But I've also heard it is a 'mature' transmission that has been been in the system for a number of years, but I can't find information on models that used it. 2008+ MDX?
The Honda 6-speed automatic transmission - also known as the H6 or 6AT - first appeared on the 2010 Acura MDX. The first Honda model with this transmission was the 2011 Odyssey Touring. V6 Accords got it for 2013 then the Pilot got it for 2016.

https://www.hondarandd.jp/point.php?pid=16&lang=en
2010 Acura MDX - Powertrain - Acura Automobiles - Honda News
2011 Honda Odyssey: Powertrain - Odyssey - Honda News
2013 Honda Accord: Powertrain - Honda News

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Not a 2G owner, but reading about the 2G issues is mind boggling. This is insane what you experienced. Keep us posted on what you fine. Looks like the 2G issues are multiplying as the years and owners progress.
I am not sure if the current gen Pilot has faced all these issues.
I challenge you to find any auto forum not filled with terrifying experiences. Every auto I’ve ever purchased the corresponding forum seemed overflowing with negatives that I never experienced.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I actually appreciate it when people that hit problems come on these forums and give out the info...and what is done and what works.

It helped me avoid a Tacoma from their current gen, when they came out a few years ago (2016?). It helped me BUY a Ridgeline.
All brands have problems. It's part of life.

I would like to hear from the OP on how things have progressed and if he is happy with the work done....

Reactions: silkiechicken

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here are some pics of the 3 dashboard warnings. I have no doubt Honda will get the RL up and running in no time, will keep you posted when I hear back from them on Monday

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
My guess is that it’s not the transmission itself but maybe something on the computer that for whatever reason set a signal to the tranny to turn on failsafe mode, but IDK, we’ll wait for the mechanic to come back with their diagnostic

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,698 Posts
I challenge you to find any auto forum not filled with terrifying experiences. Every auto I’ve ever purchased the corresponding forum seemed overflowing with negatives that I never experienced.
Isn't that the purpose of these forums anyway?
Unless you are on a forum that is of a car which is over 20 years old and 98% of the members bought these cars second hand, the complaints and raves will complement each other. I was on the 3geez.com forum (3rd gen accord forum) and not many complained about the cars as they were just up-keeping or modifying the cars. I am also on the odyclub.com keeping track of issues with the new generation Odyssey and have not seen many gripes (besides updating the infotainment).
Fact of the matter is, issues are the only ones that bother folks, as they should by definition, and thus we are more keen on vocalizing it. I sure as heck do not want to face a multitude of issues with a brand new vehicle, reason being I did not face anything (as much as the 2G ridgeline) on my '08 Accord, '10 Ridgeline, and the '16 Civic. These there were my personal daily drivers that I bought brand new and I put in more than 27K miles a year on both the Accord and Ridgeline. When I attest to my personal experience and hear various issues by first hand 2G owners, it does cause a concern.

Lastly, I had a '16 Colorado that I put around 19K miles on in 9.5 months. I also towed numerous times with it. All I had was a recall to replace the active shutters and an update for the entertainment system. I am sure there were a few, 3 according to NTHSA, after that. So I cannot attest to more than just a minor inconvenience on my behalf that made me not have my vehicle for a day and I got a ride from the dealership (0.5 miles away) both ways.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,564 Posts
My sister has had three recalls on her Colorado (that I know of), and she just had the heater core and battery replaced under warranty.

Point is, there are gonna be some lemons with every vehicle. You pays you money and takes your chances, and hope you get one of the good ones.

I think the fit/finish has probably gone downhill. Stuff like the filler cap is an oversight, rear harness was a supplier issue, and brakes are just bad QA/QC on HMA's part. HVAC is still a mystery, as far as how bad and how far-reaching, as vast majority don't seem to have an issue. Seat heaters are likely issues relative to other vehicles, and definitely first-world. Many other gripes are related to vehicle design, especially relative to mods (lifts, bigger wheels, etc.). I have plenty of things I wish they would have done better, but it's still a better truck than other mid-sized options, for my uses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Picked up the BE from the dealer today, she’s all fixed. So apparently all of this was a result of an incorrectly assembled immobilizer from Honda, which caused a crack in the cable reel in the steering column assembly. The cable rubbed against the sensors, thereby setting off the warning lights and causing the transmission to kick into limp mode. The steering wheel was also creaking and turning was stiff, but that’s all been fixed. Seemed like a minor issue, and she’s running perfectly now.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
My sister has had three recalls on her Colorado (that I know of), and she just had the heater core and battery replaced under warranty.

Point is, there are gonna be some lemons with every vehicle. You pays you money and takes your chances, and hope you get one of the good ones.

I think the fit/finish has probably gone downhill. Stuff like the filler cap is an oversight, rear harness was a supplier issue, and brakes are just bad QA/QC on HMA's part. HVAC is still a mystery, as far as how bad and how far-reaching, as vast majority don't seem to have an issue. Seat heaters are likely issues relative to other vehicles, and definitely first-world. Many other gripes are related to vehicle design, especially relative to mods (lifts, bigger wheels, etc.). I have plenty of things I wish they would have done better, but it's still a better truck than other mid-sized options, for my uses.
Are you having an issue with your HVAC?

·
Registered
302 Posts
1. Issues like this typically occur shortly after delivery. Unfortunately in the mass production world parts fail very quickly or never at all(err 100k miles etc). Though it truly sucks when it does and I'd be upset too. That said a good dealership can really shine in these situations.

2. I see a cable was the culprit. But if it wasn't as many have already stated - the many interconnected devices and sensors can really do some wires things. My wife's fiat 500x had a check engine light go off, which included temperature sensor failure, emissions failure, and AWD system failure. Drove it to the dealership and the thermostat failed errr rather a sensor detected a failed valve (engine temp stayed the same which was odd). Long story short since the computer system feared an overheated engine, it entered limp home mode which shut down emission control. And as a result the AWD system also deactivated to not add stress to the engine. My dealer was amazing, granted at 19k miles it shouldn't have failed but it happens.

Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.