Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently on cold mornings the transmission "slips" when shifting into 2nd, actually it jumps or jerks,, sometimes with enough force that I think its going to fall out of the truck. If I go slow, thinking it might happen, its a gentle jerk, if I'm going fast, watch out. The local dealer knows nothing, sees nothing and finds nothing., fluid level is ok, according to them. My theory, with respect to the cold, is the fluid is thick, and possibly condensed more, maybe a fraction lower. I wonder if I put it in neutral, let trans warm up, maybe it wouldn't happen, but this problem first started back in the summer (there goes that theory). Anyone have the same problem or have ideas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Recently on cold mornings the transmission "slips" when shifting into 2nd, actually it jumps or jerks,, sometimes with enough force that I think its going to fall out of the truck. If I go slow, thinking it might happen, its a gentle jerk, if I'm going fast, watch out. The local dealer knows nothing, sees nothing and finds nothing., fluid level is ok, according to them. My theory, with respect to the cold, is the fluid is thick, and possibly condensed more, maybe a fraction lower. I wonder if I put it in neutral, let trans warm up, maybe it wouldn't happen, but this problem first started back in the summer (there goes that theory). Anyone have the same problem or have ideas?
Could be a sticky solenoid. I would test it. I think its Solenoid C for gears 1 to 2. It could be in cold weather the solenoid isn't switching properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you tried to replicate this when the engine has reached operating temperature?
I can't replicate this problem when I want, truck is control.
Could be a sticky solenoid. I would test it. I think its Solenoid C for gears 1 to 2. It could be in cold weather the solenoid isn't switching properly.
I'll suggest it to the dealership, but i'd think they should think of that

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can't replicate this problem when I want, truck is control.

I'll suggest it to the dealership, but i'd think they should think of that
Haha lol, I'm sorry I don't put a lot of faith in the stealership, they will always find the easiest way, and most profitable way. I've diagnosed multiple issues for friends and family which resulted in an inexpensive part replacement, while the dealer would say "You need to change the whole transmission". The most the dealer will do is hook up their monitor to read any codes, if nothing, you're SOL. 9/10 times a dealership will NOT actually try to trouble shoot the issue."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha lol, I'm sorry I don't put a lot of faith in the stealership, they will always find the easiest way, and most profitable way. I've diagnosed multiple issues for friends and family which resulted in an inexpensive part replacement, while the dealer would say "You need to change the whole transmission". The most the dealer will do is hook up their monitor to read any codes, if nothing, you're SOL. 9/10 times a dealership will NOT actually try to trouble shoot the issue."
where is the solenoid C for gears 1&2, is it something I can check? and/or replace?

·
Registered
13 Posts
where is the solenoid C for gears 1&2, is it something I can check? and/or replace?
You would have to refer to the service manual www.shweet.org/Manuals/2006-2008%20Honda%20Ridgeline%20-%20FSM.rar
Solenoid C is located under the solenoid valve cover which is on the side of the transmission under the solenoid assembly that is located on the outside of the transmission. (Sorry its hard to describe without pictures). Anyhow I'm not sure how mechanically inclined you are, but the job only requires basic tools and disassembly. Everything is pretty accessible and not hard to get to. Check out some youtube videos as well.

·
Registered
9,799 Posts
Just for clarification, did you mean 2007 or is this really for a 2017? Being that this is the G1 section, you're probably going to get more looks in the G2 section.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just for clarification, did you mean 2007 or is this really for a 2017? Being that this is the G1 section, you're probably going to get more looks in the G2 section.
this is a 2017, as described in my 1st statement. saw in a you tube video concerning an earlier ridgeline or maybe it was a pilot, the solenoid C was just under the battery, on the surface of the trans.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Having my tranny replaced right now on my 2018 at 11800km. Hopefully your truck is under warranty, if so I'd leave it at the dealership overnight and go there in the morning and show a tech whats happening. Be assertive.

·
Registered
9,799 Posts
this is a 2017, as described in my 1st statement. saw in a you tube video concerning an earlier ridgeline or maybe it was a pilot, the solenoid C was just under the battery, on the surface of the trans.
Ok then. Mods, could you please move this thread to the appropriate G2 section so the OP can get some help?

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
if you are looking for the Solenoid C, then refer to the images below. Part #6 in the left image is the Solenoid C. On the right is the actual image of the G2 trans and circled is the Solenoid C. Arrow points to the engine side.

<<< Click on the pictures below to enlarge >>>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts