Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the ridgeline is 4wd and FWD when not using VTM-4... but I did see someone on here in a different thread saying that at high acceleration the ridgline accually engages into rear wheel drive, is there any truth to that? can someone explain this to me ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I know the ridgeline is 4wd and FWD when not using VTM-4... but I did see someone on here in a different thread saying that at high acceleration the ridgline accually engages into rear wheel drive, is there any truth to that? can someone explain this to me ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
There are some very good and very thorough explanations to be found on this forum explaining exactly that. Search for VTM-4 operation & you'll probably find them.
Suffice it to say (until you find that complete info or someone else offers up the real details); the RL is AWD.... primary drive is front wheels, but it is ALWAYS using VTM-4, but it applies variable torque to the rear wheels as the system deems necessary (thus the V in VTM-4). There are numbers on what & when (speeds, accelleration, slippage, etc.), but you will see most of the torque applied to the front wheels, while the rears will engage as required. You'll NEVER get to rear only drive, if that's what you're asking... I forget what the limit is (70% maybe?), but again, that's in the full data answer.
What you should know is that VTM-4 is engaged always. When you depress the VTM-4 LOCK button, you are entering a yet higher plane of VTM-4 operation, during which the "rules of engagement" change. This happens only in 1st & 2nd gears, and only at lower speeds (something like 0-9 MPH... or maybe it's0-18 MPH... memory fade). Anyway, when LOCKED, you need to be on slippery surface when turning or you will risk burning clutches in the VTM-4 unit. You should only very rarely, if ever, need to engage this lock... but if you do, be sure to disengage before you are again driving on good traction hard surfaces (if you're over the high MPH limit or are not in 1st or 2nd gear, the lock disengages, so this is not an immediate problem). That's some of the high points... and not expressed very concisely or eloquently.... but as I said the info is all here in more than one thread... so search away & you'll find some very informative reading on the subject. Have fun with that! :)

P.S. You should have picked up from this commentary that you are never "not using VTM-4" as your original question inquired. Unless your VTM-4 system has suffered a failure of course.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Full explanation thread: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17456

Direct link to post with two PDF files: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=347973&postcount=71

Executive summary:
- Proactive proportional RWD engagement under acceleration
- Reactive proportional RWD engagement when slippage is detected
- VTM-4 Lock forces full RWD engagement in 1, 2, R up to 6 MPH and tapering to zero at 18 MPH

VTM-4 is never turned off. It's either automatically or manually on all the time. The only time that you can assume no RWD torque is when cruising at steady speed while unloaded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts