Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Absolutely Not !
I think that depends upon how long you usually keep your vehicles. With an extended warranty I would keep pursuing. If you plan on a very long term ownership, I might reconsider.

I do not and can not blame Honda for mistakes an independently-owned dealer made.

I spend several hours per day on multiple Honda forums answering questions about Honda products, helping shoppers and owners with operational and technical information, and correcting mis-information to help people make more informed decisions. Over the past 12 years, I have donated tens of thousands of hours of my time on this forum alone. I did this because I truly believed that Honda and the products they make were the best in the industry. That is clearly no longer the case and the one time I ask Honda for a favor I get denied - not even so much a gift card for a free oil change. I have had a lot of problems with the last several Hondas I've owned and I haven't been vocal about all of them. I've avoided taking the vehicles in for warranty repairs due to the inconvenience and risk of damage requiring additional repairs.

The 2019 RDX I traded for my 2019 Ridgeline was a major disappointment. Some of the issues I had were later addressed with software updates after I got rid of it, but others would have required physical repairs such as a...replacement transmission.

Yes - I've voluntarily spent thousands of dollars each year on average trading one Honda for another. Sometimes, I just want a new vehicle while other times it's because there are too many problems that I don't want to deal with and I'm looking for a fresh start hoping that the next one will be better. This donated time was not done with the intention of seeking favoritism - it was done out of my like for the company and their products.

When I look at the number of problems per vehicle for each of the 11 Hondas I've purchased since 2006, there has been an undeniable increase. 2006-2009 was about as perfect as one could ask for. 2010-2014 started showing signs of slipping quality. 2016-2019 have been terrible. I've boasted about Honda quality to my friends and family for years, but that's changing. Its embarrassing for friends, family, and co-workers to ask "what's that creaking sound?" or "why do I smell gas?" or "what happened to your transmission?" or "where is that rattle coming from?" or "why is there water draining down your window?" after I brag about how much more reliable Hondas are than other brands.
The Ridgeline is a unique vehicle that served my needs. If not for that, I would still be in a Toyota/Lexus product. The least amount of mileage I ever got out of their products included 200k of trouble free driving. I also try to find the models manufactured in Japan, or failing that, ones that kept the power train in Japan for assembly in the US. The manufacturing is better there. Sorry, but true.

I hope the Ridgeline will last a while as I really think the design is excellent.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
@zroger73, assuming your dealer (and other Honda dealers) are unable to repair your rear window under warranty, and you still want to hang on to the G2 due to its myriad of unique benefits, you may want to try a good body shop as a last resort.

I suspect a good body shop can do a far better diagnosis and repair with a lot less hassle, albeit at a greater cost to you. Yes, the dealer should be able to farm the job out to said body shop, but that costs them more time/money that they may not recoup for a warranty repair, hence their reluctance.

Just a thought.

·
Administrator
14,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
It shouldn't be hard to seal a window - it's successfully done hundreds of thousands of times per day by various automakers, body shops, and glass replacement shops. I know they did something because the trim wasn't fully seated on the rear and there was urethane on the seat and outside of the window that wasn't cleaned off.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
122 Posts
I click on all your posts. Thank you for your time, I'm sure everyone agrees.
People keep buying new cars. As long as it keeps up, at the corporate level, quality will be allowed to slip. Due to Hondas slipping quality they now have more issues to deal with than ever before, creating more denials from corporate. Expecting the dealership to handle it without manufactures support shouldn't be expected. Corporate needs to step up & support the dealers.
We tend to keep our cars along time. Our '94 Civic was bought new & we've had our '03 Pilot since '05. Now I'm having second thoughts about selling the Pilot, it hasn't had any real issues & is still running fine.
All I can do now is hope we got one of the good RLs.

It shouldn't be hard to seal a window - it's successfully done hundreds of thousands of times per day by various automakers, body shops, and glass replacement shops. I know they did something because the trim wasn't fully seated on the rear and there was urethane on the seat and outside of the window that wasn't cleaned off.
What happened to your car (the mess they made) would set me off, for sure. Can't imagine your restraint.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I click on all your posts. Thank you for your time, I'm sure everyone agrees.
Zroger73, I've only been a member here for a short time and I've already seen/read many informative and helpful posts by you. I also shout out a big THANKS to all that you do here on a daily basis. I am hopeful that you will not abandon the Honda brand and that you will hang in there and get a successful resolution to the serious problems you have encountered with your own vehicle. You have my full support and I hope you stick around for a while.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,368 Posts
Nope, it shouldn't be that hard, but any job can be screwed-up by complacency or other incompetence.

IMO there is still the possibility that there's some manufacturing defect relating to your bodywork in the vicinity of the window frame that precludes a proper seal.

Both possibilities are what prompts me to wish a Honda Corporate Tech Rep would get involved at the dealer site.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
@zroger73, you should start some kind of a GoFundMe account. I'm sure many of us would be happy to PayPal you $5 - $20/yr to keep you and your Honda knowledge on this site, especially when it would cost many of us $10/day just for a piece of the info you've provided in the past. You can use the extra funds to have a competent shop repair your truck. ;)

·
Administrator
14,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Nope, it shouldn't be that hard, but any job can be screwed-up by complacency or other incompetence.

IMO there is still the possibility that there's some manufacturing defect relating to your bodywork in the vicinity of the window frame that precludes a proper seal.

Both possibilities are what prompts me to wish a Honda Corporate Tech Rep would get involved at the dealer site.
Since I seem to be "stuck" with it, I may as well keep taking it back at my convenience until it gets fixed or Texas lemon law becomes an option (which is getting close to the 30 days in 24 months portion).

@zroger73, you should start some kind of a GoFundMe account. I'm sure many of us would be happy to PayPal you $5 - $20/yr to keep you and your Honda knowledge on this site, especially when it would cost many of us $10/day just for a piece of the info you've provided in the past. You can use the extra funds to have a competent shop repair your truck. ;)
:) Funds aren't the issue - it's the principle that bothers me.

·
Super Moderator
1,316 Posts
You might want to consider a different dealer for trying the repairs too. Sometimes you just end up with the same mechanic that was not so helpful the last few times when the car was in. Just like we used to do in the service group i was part of. If a customer called back in after Joe was there fixing it we'd send Steve out instead. And Steve would fix it. Yep, me.

Steve

·
Registered
525 Posts
The problem going forward from what I see lies with the economic approach when getting a new vehicle. As I stated before, most new vehicles that leave the lot are leased. If I leased a new vehicle and something like a transmission needed replacement, I wouldn't really care as I know I just have months left before I hand the vehicle back to the dealership. but if I purchased a new vehicle and the trans was defective ( as I did in 2018 ) then I have a lot more at stake when I trade in or sell to a private party as a disclaimer is required.

With this mindset lease's don't complain, so it almost becomes acceptable throughout the industry.

Now if leasing was not an option, there would be a lot more pressure on manufacturers to provide a better fit and finish. This then all boils down to the poor sod who buys a the vehicle out of warranty, good luck to those who do, and hopefully buy a warranty when completing a purchase.

People lease vehicles without driving them, or sometimes not even seeing the car/ truck. As long as the payment match what they can afford, why should they care, after all its the world today......

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,021 Posts
I had no idea most vehicles were leased, not purchased. What source do you have for that info? I've never leased a vehicle in my life and am not aware of anyone who does.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,053 Posts
I believe it's like the opposite in Canada, which is what @mumbles is referring to

·
Registered
525 Posts
When I purchased my first Ridgeline at my local Honda dealership (level 6) its more like 65% lease v purchase ( sales manager )

People don't have 45 k then add 13% in taxes to a new truck. All local adverts on new vehicles always show the lease cost and never the sale price.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just don't think in any industry these days, people EDIT DON'T care about the quality of their work. Go to work. Go home. Get a check.

:ROFLMAO: (like my posting skills here)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just don't think in any industry these days, people care about the quality of their work. Go to work. Go home. Get a check.
Here is my personal observation and opinion on this. Back in my day (quite a while ago), people were loyal, worked hard, did a good job and cared about quality. Now it seems like people are not loyal and jump from job to job. If someone stays more than two or three years at a job now, they are called an old timer. I also think that personal computers, computer touch pads and smart phones have changed things up quite a bit and not always for the better. Person to person social skills are going out the window. In general, people are more rude, not polite and generally do not have any manners. PEOPLE work on Ridgelines, so when we have get something fixed or repaired, we have to hope and pray they do a good job. We have to rely on their expertise. It's a roll of the dice, for sure. Then, we also have to worry about whether they are gouging us or not.

·
Registered
2019 RT Ridgeline ~ Luna Silver
380 Posts
I had no idea most vehicles were leased, not purchased. What source do you have for that info? I've never leased a vehicle in my life and am not aware of anyone who does.
Same here..i have never considered leasing..and i dont know anyone that does...?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Interesting topic, for me I leased many vehicles " Full Size Trucks" when I had my own shop. My accountant encouraged me to do so for tax write offs. and the expenses that went along with it . Lease up, warranty expired. repeat. Also my fathers philosophy. Its interesting to note that when the 06 Ridgeline emerged I bought it outright as with all my Ridgeline's to currant. Because I believed in reliability would not be an issue. My father been leasing the Lexus RX350 since inception. The dealer calls him before the lease is up and puts him in a new one long before his lease is expired for the same money. The dealer buys vehicle from leasing company. Thats how strong the used Lexus market is. They can CPO it or Sell extended warranty because its less then 3 yrs old/36k. With ultra low miles. The dealer retains the customer, sells units, the dealer has pick of the litter for their used car inventory

161 - 179 of 179 Posts