Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the transmission in my 2006 Ridgeline (496000 carefree miles until now); plan on buying a used transmission. Do I need to buy a 2006 transmission, or can I use a newer 1st generation tranny thru 2014.? How about a Pilot or Odessy transmission, are they interchangeable? Help!

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,584 Posts
Welcome to the ROC!

Only a half million miles on the Honda tranny? :eek: :unsure:

Tell more about your Ridgeline and its history. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to hear the service history, etc on your half million mile truck!

Just curious what the issue is causing you to need to replace the tranny?

AFAIK, you need to stay with a tranny from the 2006-2008 MY. I'm not sure a 2009-2014 tranny will bolt up. But someone who knows for sure will likely see your thread and be able to comment from a knowledgeable perspective.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the truck in 2007 with 11,000 miles; have been religious about the maintenance. Last week started up shifting/ downshifting,missing, VTM light came on; at times unable to get over 10-15 miles/hour especially going uphill. Multiple codes noted with transmission origin; advised to replace the tranny. Drained and filled transmission once; runs fine for 50-60 miles , then missing, shifting problems start again; any suggestions; hate to give up on the old girl. Thanks MarLoe

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,584 Posts
Out of curiosity, you did check to make sure you don't have the SMOD issue, correct? Have you replaced the OEM radiator ever? Did you use the Maintenance Minder for your service intervals or do you have your own schedule?

That Ridgeline owes you nothing!

I wonder if it might be worth trying some of those fixes in a can? Probably can't hurt at this point. With a half million miles on it, you probably just found the life limit of the tranny,

Lots of road trips? Any towing?

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,020 Posts
From what we know, The '06-'08 is the same transmission, aside from the different part numbers. So you should be able to get any of these three years and swap it in. The similar year Pilot had very similar transmissions, though they may bolt up, their gear ratios were different. So my recommendation is to stick with a Ridgeline units.
@speedlever is correct. The '09+ units have a different bellhousing design and cannot be used with your engine.
It is impressive that you have accumulated almost half a million miles.

@McChizzle , you may want to follow this one.

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
Sounds like debris in the valve body to me. Also very possible clutch pack material in valve body and in the screen in there too. A used tranny is your best and long term choice IMO. Make sure to flush the lines well and IMO i'd put in a new rad while i was at it. You might even want to go as far as finding a whole engine and tranny combination together and just slap the whole thing in there at once to replace your high mileage parts. And then drive it another 300,000 mi ! lol

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not familiar with the SMOD issue, need explanation. Original radiator replaced only 15000 miles ago. Very little towing. Local highway miles every day, 4000-4500 miles/ month; rarely over 65 mph. Oil changes every +/- 4000 miles. I did not wait for the computer reminders; followed a schedule suggested by local dealer, example transmission service every 60 thousand miles. FYI, local dealer has several Ridgeline owners with well over 500 thousand miles (!). Thanks, MarLoe

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,260 Posts
SMOD= Strawberry Milkshake of Death. It happens when coolant is sucked into the transmission due to a failure of the connecting hoses (or the exchanger itself) for the transmission fluid heat exchanger that is installed inside the radiator.
Search for SMOD in this forum and you can read all about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts