Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
You know, you might be carrying some additional, abnormal drag when you are towing. I would be checking to confirm no resistance at the wheels of my towed vehicle. (is it the same 'trailer' you are towing each time?)

I actually had the rear end bearings go south on me after a few hundred miles of towing behind an AstroVan. I didn't feel the difference, but it was enough to kill my differential (that was all wheel drive also for what it's worth).
Turned out the rented trailer I was towing had a broken leaf spring, and the tire was rubbing against the inner wheel well.... causing the offending drag.

You might have sticky trailer brakes, or other source of unwanted drag???

·
Registered
4 Posts
For me when I'm towing slow, I turn on my AC to activate the radiator fans to add extra airflow over the transmission cooler. Not sure how effective this is for cooling but must help a little bit.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
IMO that cooler location isn't in the area where the fans will help it out. It's really based on a position where air flows across it as the truck is moving at speeds greater than 20mph. Hence why it overheated on the Tufftruck crew when it did at speeds of rock crawling.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh ok, thx for the info, so if you’re towing on a dirt road over 20MPH, the cooler will get enough air, plan to take it on some dirt roads in the mountains in Utah next spring while towing a small camper

·
Registered
4 Posts
thx!! Yeah I just bought a 2013 Ridgeline sport back in May, and towed with it for the first time last weekend. Just reading up on the transmission cooler and finding out now about it being an issue driving slow and overheating from this forum.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
thx!! Yeah I just bought a 2013 Ridgeline sport back in May, and towed with it for the first time last weekend. Just reading up on the transmission cooler and finding out now about it being an issue driving slow and overheating from this forum.
The most recent discussion is for the 2017+ MY.
Your G1, like mine, would be just fine. Make sure you have all the fluids changed and maintenance items addressed.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
8 Participants
smufguy
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing