Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thunder works, it’s not clear to me from your Kansas post if you received a transmission overheat warning from the RL. Did you?
As others have asked, were you getting significant headwinds in Kansas? That could make 60 mph fell like 70-75 workload for your truck.
It may be that the 6AT just runs really this hot under those loads and parameters? Definitely would follow the extreme maintenance interval for ATF.
Curious what model of travel trailer you have. Wondering if the front profile is contributing to the workload.

also probably another dumb question but you do have AWD (not FWD) model, correct?
I did not get a transmission overheating warning from the truck. There was virtually no wind, and if anything, a slight tail wind. My RT-L is the AWD model with a 5,000 towing rating capacity. My trailer is a small, 19' fiberglass camper with a fairly flat front profile.

I've decided to add a larger cooler to replace the factory cooler. According to my mechanic (who I think is very good and thorough), the factory unit only holds about 4oz of oil. He's found an aftermarket option that would be roughly 4X that size, about a quart of tranny oil. Seems like a significant step up in cooling ability.

·
Registered
2016 Acura TLX (V6), 2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2012 Honda Ridgeline RTL (sold)
32 Posts
Just a note here but you installed a fin and tube cooler which is not as efficient as a plate style cooler. Just like an engine, the transmission has an adiabatic efficiency range. 230 F is a bit high. You will breakdown the fluid faster and glaze the clutches.
Atrains

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just a note here but you installed a fin and tube cooler which is not as efficient as a plate style cooler.
The fin and tube cooler I installed with fans averages 25F lower ATF temp from actual hauling experience. It works great and much better than stock cooler. It is cooling even when I am at a stop light. It has greatly increased my towing confidence.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi smuook . . . OP here . . . if the cooler drops my ATF temps 25F, I'll be ecstatic. I'm leaving next week pulling my trailer for a 1600 miles round trip and will post results when I get back in early September.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Here's another aftermarket tranny cooler option to possibly consider and what I installed on our Rigi a year ago. It's a Tru-Cool MAX #4921. Since the cooler in/out nipples are both on the short side of the cooler (like smuook's), it also keeps rubber hose lengths to a minimum.....somewhat similar to the Honda factory cooler. It takes a little creativity to mount/install but I went in from the top and installed it without removing the grill.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi smuook . . . OP here . . . if the cooler drops my ATF temps 25F, I'll be ecstatic. I'm leaving next week pulling my trailer for a 1600 miles round trip and will post results when I get back in early September.
That is on average. If you run it hard, it will be less but still better than stock. Like I have said before, the ability of the RL transmission to generate heat >>> ability to remove with any reasonable cooler. But I take it easy and have gotten great results with my setup.

There is another option you could try...

And that is to use BOTH the fin&tube AND the stock cooler. You are limited in your options due to space, but with the setup I did you could fit BOTH. I though about doing that but worried about increasing the headloss with 2 coolers and a reduction in flow. Basically I chickened out and stuck with the one and can live with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just had a transmission temp incident and wanting a little group thought... 2019 RTLE, 40k miles, towing a 1200lb teardrop with canoe and kayak on top. Running a Scangauge ll, 90-95 degree ambient, headwinds. Temp pushed 280. But no overheat warning light. Goes in to shop in 2 days for tranny fluid service. Everything working fine. I am going to put an aftermarket cooler on it, but curious if anyone know what temp the light is supposed to come on?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
OP here. Just returned from my trip to northern Minnesota with the Ridgeline. The cooler I installed appears to have solved the issue. I was able to drive a little faster (around 60-62mph) and the highest temp I saw on the Scan Gauge was 204. Much of the time I was between 188 and 199. The drive from Kansas is pretty flat so I don't have an opinion about the impact when we go to California and drive up and down mountains, but my first impression is that the tranny is running around 20-25 degrees lower with the larger cooler.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just had a transmission temp incident and wanting a little group thought... 2019 RTLE, 40k miles, towing a 1200lb teardrop with canoe and kayak on top. Running a Scangauge ll, 90-95 degree ambient, headwinds. Temp pushed 280. But no overheat warning light. Goes in to shop in 2 days for tranny fluid service. Everything working fine. I am going to put an aftermarket cooler on it, but curious if anyone know what temp the light is supposed to come on?
280 is dangerously high and I'm shocked you didn't get the trans too hot light and/or didn't experience slippage. If it was me, I would do 3x drain and fill and new atf filter.

I've never gotten the light. Prior to installing an aftermarket cooler the hottest I saw was about 225 - which was freaking me out.

I have 60k on vehicle and today I did my 3rd transmission fluid d&f and replaced the external filter.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hey Thunderworks……aftermarket cooler brand/model/part number? Great info, glad to hear TFT dropped significantly. 👍👍

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Can you give us the TFX, RXD, etc. XGauge numbers you are using? The ScanGauge may not be reading/displaying correct info. 280F TFT and no warning msg doesn’t seem right. IIRC, I’ve seen two numbers post here as to when the msg appears…..230F and 265F. Don’t know if either of those numbers are factory correct.🤷‍♂️ The $64,000 question…….

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can you give us the TFX, RXD, etc. XGauge numbers you are using? The ScanGauge may not be reading/displaying correct info. 280F TFT and no warning msg doesn’t seem right. IIRC, I’ve seen two numbers post here as to when the msg appears…..230F and 265F. Don’t know if either of those numbers are factory correct.🤷‍♂️ The $64,000 question…….
Here is what I used:
TXD - EFF1228220
RXF - C32400000000
RXD -2808
MTH - 00090005FFD8

I had heard 240 and 300 as warning temp numbers. It goes in tomorrow and "maybe" a tech will know the temp of the warning light.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,381 Posts
Here is what I used:
TXD - EFF1228220
RXF - C32400000000
RXD -2808
MTH - 00090005FFD8

I had heard 240 and 300 as warning temp numbers. It goes in tomorrow and "maybe" a tech will know the temp of the warning light.
Does the fluid smell burnt?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Here is what I used:
TXD - EFF1228220
RXF - C32400000000
RXD -2808
MTH - 00090005FFD8

Those are the codes I use. I observed 210F+ in-town driving, not towing, before aftermarket tranny cooler install. After tranny cooler install have observed about 175F, not towing. Let us know what the tech says.

You might also try TXD EFF1229023, RXF C32200000000 and RXD 3808 to see what happens. Leave MTH the same.

Reactions: smuook

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those are the codes I use. I observed 210F+ in-town driving, not towing, before aftermarket tranny cooler install. After tranny cooler install have observed about 175F, not towing. Let us know what the tech says.

You might also try TXD EFF1229023, RXF C32200000000 and RXD 3808 to see what happens. Leave MTH the same.
I tried the alternative codes above and got no reading whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Well bummer…….after sitting overnight (tranny cold), is the ScanGauge TFT displaying about the same as ambient temp on the dash, at cold start-up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hey Thunderworks……aftermarket cooler brand/model/part number? Great info, glad to hear TFT dropped significantly. 👍👍
Tru-Cool Max LPD 30,000 Transmission Oil Cooler 4921-1 49211

I don't have pictures, but the shop that installed it thought the install was very"clean" and good . . . The cooler also uses a type of thermostat that starts to open the flow around 180F and is fully open at 205F.

The only downside to the cooler install is that the radiator temps are 3-5 degrees hotter than previously. Still only around 200F so not a concern, but I used to top out around 195F. The tranny cooler reduces a little airflow through the radiator so it retains a little more heat.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Looks like a good size cooler and should do the job for you.

I was looking into a way to keep turn the radiator and ac condensor fans on manually while towing. It's a little tricky because the relays are activate by the PCM. So it is not as simple as just grounding the fan control relay - that will cause problems in the circuit. Still thinking on this but while towing I would prefer those fans on constantly.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts