Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update: Took vehicle to shop. Did Tranny service, checked out transmission codes and test drove. No issues and clean bill of health. Still glad that I have it documented in case of future issues. The tech did a little research and thought that the trans should run around 200 degrees with the warning coming on around 240 degrees. I am not fully confident in that data as he was just looking it up on a Honda service blog.

Yes, the ScanGuage TFT temp reads Ambient on start up.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Tru-Cool Max LPD 30,000 Transmission Oil Cooler 4921-1 49211

I don't have pictures, but the shop that installed it thought the install was very"clean" and good . . . The cooler also uses a type of thermostat that starts to open the flow around 180F and is fully open at 205F.

The only downside to the cooler install is that the radiator temps are 3-5 degrees hotter than previously. Still only around 200F so not a concern, but I used to top out around 195F. The tranny cooler reduces a little airflow through the radiator so it retains a little more heat.
Hot digidydog. That’s the same unit I installed. Great info…..👍👍. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Update: Took vehicle to shop. Did Tranny service, checked out transmission codes and test drove. No issues and clean bill of health. Still glad that I have it documented in case of future issues. The tech did a little research and thought that the trans should run around 200 degrees with the warning coming on around 240 degrees. I am not fully confident in that data as he was just looking it up on a Honda service blog.

Yes, the ScanGuage TFT temp reads Ambient on start up.
So the Tech had no explanation regarding 280F TFT and no msg.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
16 Posts
So the Tech had no explanation regarding 280F TFT and no msg.🤷‍♂️
Nope... none. Other than it should have gone off at 235-240. But he was young and was looking at a Honda Service Blog.... I don't have a lot of confidence in the answer.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️Don’t blame you.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Tru-Cool Max LPD 30,000 Transmission Oil Cooler 4921-1 49211

I don't have pictures, but the shop that installed it thought the install was very"clean" and good . . . The cooler also uses a type of thermostat that starts to open the flow around 180F and is fully open at 205F.

The only downside to the cooler install is that the radiator temps are 3-5 degrees hotter than previously. Still only around 200F so not a concern, but I used to top out around 195F. The tranny cooler reduces a little airflow through the radiator so it retains a little more heat.
Did your shop mount the cooler horizontal or vertical?…..if horizontal, behind the upper or lower grill?

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
258 Posts
Those are the codes I use. I observed 210F+ in-town driving, not towing, before aftermarket tranny cooler install. After tranny cooler install have observed about 175F, not towing. Let us know what the tech says.

You might also try TXD EFF1229023, RXF C32200000000 and RXD 3808 to see what happens. Leave MTH the same.
Those are the 9-speed codes. The original ones are correct for 6-speed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Did your shop mount the cooler horizontal or vertical?…..if horizontal, behind the upper or lower grill?
Mounted horizontally, visible primarily through the lower grill. It's pretty long one dimension, and short the other. I don't know where it could even go vertically . . .

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
When I did my install, I test fit both ways and it will fit vertically but I thought the mounting brackets would be easier to fashion horizontally. I’m happy with it’s performance and since I’m only rated for 3500 lbs towing, it should be more than adequate. The “dual pass” feature seems very beneficial. Compared to the OE cooler, it is huge.👍👍

·
Registered
433 Posts
Any tips on mounting an oil cooler? Especially without having to disassemble to whole front end?
Depends on the cooler and mounting decision. Mine is mounted on center support brace. I can get it in and out pretty easy without disassembly of front fascia and bumper.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Any tips on mounting an oil cooler? Especially without having to disassemble to whole front end?
Are you referring to an aftermarket engine oil cooler or a tranny fluid cooler? See post #25 for tranny fluid cooler install without removing the grill. Removed the chrome grill piece only, the two upper radiator supports and fashioned brackets to hang the tranny cooler from the large aluminum bumper beam, drilled two holes in the beam. Everything went in from the top.

If you are talking engine oil cooler, can't help there......maybe somebody else can.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you referring to an aftermarket engine oil cooler or a tranny fluid cooler? See post #25 for tranny fluid cooler install without removing the grill. Removed the chrome grill piece only, the two upper radiator supports and fashioned brackets to hang the tranny cooler from the large aluminum bumper beam, drilled two holes in the beam. Everything went in from the top.

If you are talking engine oil cooler, can't help there......maybe somebody else can.
Tranny Fluid Cooler. Thanks for the write up of the install!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another update on my trans temp issue.
Recap: Hit 284, no warning light 3 weeks ago while towing 12-1400 lbs and with canoe and kayak on top. Ambient about 95. Was due for a transmission fluid service.

Had the trans service done and then took off on a 2000 mile trip north from KC. Ambient was 65-90, 65-70mph highway, some rollers, pulling 1400lbs trailer and bed full of camping gear and 3 bicycles. Trans in D, used cruise. Temps ran 90-110 degrees over ambient, consistently. They would start to rise in rollers on the highway as the cruise control starting hunting for the right gear. Dropping it into D4 stopped the rise in temp and brought it back down a bit.

My thoughts on this whole transmission/towing issue:
1) Fluid needs to be changed regularly. I think due to mine being at the point of needing the maintenance code change, it was likely done, hence my temp issues. Since I tow frequently, I will now change trans fluid every 10k miles.
2) D4 has its place. Especially in rolling hills or long climbs. I will use it more in the future.
3) External (additional/larger) transmission fluid cooler... I will be adding one for peace of mind and since it should help by letting it run cooler overall, and adding a bit of additional fluid. I think I could get by without it given the light weights I tow, but I like to be over prepared.
4) Limits... Given the experience I had, I can't imagine pushing this truck to the upper tow limit regularly unless I had an external cooler and changed fluids more regularly.
5) Get a monitoring device like the ScanGauge. Well worth it.

Overall I am very happy.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Item #4 - your Rigi has no external tranny cooler????

·
Registered
433 Posts
I would also consider disabling VCM. One could argue that a any system that has to fool you with noise cancellation and vibration dampening is not good long term. Add to that the demands of towing and it is not helpful. It is really working against you and I question the harmful effects it may cause.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I would also consider disabling VCM. One could argue that a any system that has to fool you with noise cancellation and vibration dampening is not good long term. Add to that the demands of towing and it is not helpful. It is really working against you and I question the harmful effects it may cause.
I can practically guarantee you that the VCM will not be activated while towing......................

Bill

·
Registered
433 Posts
I can practically guarantee you that the VCM will not be activated while towing......................

Bill
Not really sure what that means, but VCM doesn't know if you are towing or not. It activates on the highway or cruising at low throttle around 45mph ish. And yes, the VCM solenoid will go to the On status on scangauge will towing.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Not really sure what that means, but VCM doesn't know if you are towing or not. It activates on the highway or cruising at low throttle around 45mph ish. And yes, the VCM solenoid will go to the On status on scangauge will towing.
It has been my understanding that any manipulation of the throttle will disengage the VCM, if it ever gets activated in the first place? :unsure:

Bill

41 - 60 of 64 Posts