Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Ridgeline
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I want to say "Hello!" to the community, since I'm a new member. I'm RL owner from Poland, so please excuse my typos or bad grammar, will try my best.
I've been searching through the forum for a while now and usually have found answers I needed, but not this time. At first, maybe I'll explain the issue that came up in this case, since it might help someone in the future.

About 2-3 months ago I've noticed something strange happening to AT in my RL after exiting highway. To be more exact, after driving for few hundreds of miles with constant 80-90 mph on highest gear, than when I was taking an exit an slowing down to almost stop, transmission instead of downshifting and drive on would go into neutral, or it looked like that. I had to stop, change to P or N, and than back to D and it would work normally after that. In normal traffic it would never happen though. Afterwards came up that same thing happens when towing horses. So my guess was that it maybe overheats a little bit, since highway an towing are more demanding on transmission. I hoped that fluid change that was coming up would end the problem, but it didn't. Problem started to occur even after shorter highway travels.

I've red that some of you guys experienced similiar effect, but used the car for quite some time without further problems. Since my wife tows horses with the truck and it wouldn't be nice to get stuck with live animals on the highway in out of nowhere, I decided to get it checked. The guy in the workshop drained the fluid and said that it's full of metal filings. Than he took the transmission apart and it turned out that converter got broken and mashed the tranny up. So I need to replace it since parts' cost would greatly overcome the cost of used AT.

And here comes my question. Since Ridgelines are quite rare in Poland, and Europe in general, I've found only 2 used AT in my country, but both have sticker with MJFA code on them.
My AT have the sticker with BJFA code on it and I haven't found certain information that these two are interchangeable. What I have found is that supposedly it is the same AT just from different manufacturers. What I've also deduced from searching through the internet, there were different OEM part numbers of AT for '06 RL and '07-'08 RL. So maybe MJFA was mounted on '06 RL and BJFA on '07-'08 models?

Can anyone of you guys confirm that BJFA and MJFA AT's are the same and I can use MJFA on my truck? Are there any differences in these two?

Would really appreciate any help in that matter.
Cheers from eastern Europe!

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,592 Posts
First of all, welcome to the ROC!

Second, can you be specific as to the year and trim of your Ridgeline?

I'm kinda surprised this hasn't had a response yet. Hopefully this will help bring it back into the forefront and someone who knows can answer your question.

Have you checked the Ridgeline wiki?

@McChizzle can you reference the appropriate section? I looked at the wiki but didn't find anything related to the question posed here. Or maybe I don't know how to search the wiki. Or has the wiki article been neutered to the point of being useless?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts
@speedlever last time I referred someone to the Wiki, @McChizzle answered the question directly and said that they have essentially neutered it to the edge of worthlessness if I recall correctly.

Hopefully someone will answer with more transmission knowledge than either of us.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Ridgeline
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My truck is 2007 RTL with sunroof, but from what I managed to establish I don't think it would matter much.

Wikipedia and google couldn't help me so far with reliable information and I've red a lot of sites.

As you guys said hopefully someone with better transmission knowledge will come along.

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
Thanks for your patience. I'm surprised this thread sat for 2 days with no activity. I just noticed it myself this morning.

@speedlever last time I referred someone to the Wiki, @McChizzle answered the question directly and said that they have essentially neutered it to the edge of worthlessness if I recall correctly.

Hopefully someone will answer with more transmission knowledge than either of us.
That is a crying shame that the Wiki has been neutered like it has. That person responsible for neutering it should be banished from the project. I can't begin to imagine what bee lives in his bonnet that would cause any objection to the quality of info @McChizzle put in there.

·
Super Moderator
7,265 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
I saw those in that private communique. I don't recall that member you're searching for. Yet. ;)

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Super Moderator
7,265 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,434 Posts
Hello arturef and welcome to the ROC! The 2006-2008 model years all had the same transmission from what I can tell and it looks to me as if the BJFA and MJFA codes may just mean they are from different production/assembly plants. The 2009 model year introduce a modified version of Honda's AT5 with slightly different gearing to better support the new engine that had a different power and torque curve as we as supporting better towing performance. I also don't know if the 2009 updated AT5 can be used on a 2006-2008 for there was more than just gear size changes; the entire pan is different. Maybe it would work, but I don't know. Regardless, it looks to me as if both of those transmissions you are referring to should work on your Ridgeline, but please don't take my word for it.

speedlever and Carsmak, the British boob that destroyed the page and won't let it be restored without threats of account deletion has done this sort of thing on numerus articles and the admins seam to like it, so there is nothing I can do. With that said, the British boob removed a lot of content but did not change the facts of the content that remain, so what is there should be accurate however incomplete, unless something new has happened. In other words, I've moved on and don't look at nor monitor those articles anymore.

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
@McChizzle I don't blame you. I would have thrown up my hands too. I cannot imagine how that idiot's behavior could be tolerated, let alone condoned on a site that's supposed to be information specific. He should be run out of town on a rail!

Reactions: McChizzle

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline RTL - Steel Blue Metallic
24 Posts
@smufguy may be able to help answer your question. He's dropped some knowledge regarding trans and engine differences between models and years in great deal on other threads.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,138 Posts
Welcome to ROC @arturef .

As @McChizzle mentioned, the BJFA and MJFA are interchangeable transmission units that were in the '06-'08 model year Ridgelines. Do note that if you go off the actual part numbers for the transmissions, every single year had their own ones. However, the '09+ G1 Ridgeline units are not compatible due to the bellhousing design. This information is from around the web and I have not actually tried bolting a BJFA.MJFA unit to a J35Z5.

In your case, with the scarcity of these, I recommend using couple of vehicles to look into

Acura MDX | 03-06 | 5 SP AWD | MDKA, BDKA
Pilot | 06-08 | 5 SP AWD | P34A ('08) & BVGA, PVGA ('03-'07)

The reason I recommend the above models and specific years are due to the following. The minor differences in the gear ratios are not going to affect things electronically, however you would see difference in acceleration from prior and the engine speed at cruising speed (65mph) due to the final varied drive ratios in the other two models.

'06-'08 Ridgeline
1st: 2.693
2nd: 1.566
3rd: 1.023
4th: 0.729
5th: 0.531
Reverse: 1.889
Final Drive: 4.533

'03-'06 Acura MDX
2nd: 1.566
4th: 0.729
5th: 0.531
Reverse: 1.889
Final Drive: 4.375

'06-'08 Pilot AWD (NOT the FWD variant as their gear ratios are different)
2nd: 1.565
4th: 0.782
5th: 0.595
Reverse: 1.888
Final Drive: 4.375

If you are able to take apart your transmission, make a template of the bell housing, then you can compare these against the two models I provided.
As you mentioned, unlike the Acura TL world, much of the information is not available in the world of automatic transmissions that mate to the J-series engine.

Other sources have mentioned the '05-'08 Acura RL's MJBA transmission as being adaptable. However, this unit was controlled (also) by paddle shifters and had a secondary final drive, so this maybe very involved and would be the last resort.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,138 Posts
You sure that won't set DTCs P0731-P0735 (1st through 5th gear incorrect ratio) if the actual ratio is different than what the PCM expects?
That is an excellent question that I did not bother to think about. However, here is my counter question; what is the speed ratio tolerance that the PCM looking for, prior to throwing the code? Is it the actual speed or an electrical voltage signal?
From what I understand, the transmission input speed (mainshaft) and the output shaft (countershaft) speed is what the PCM monitors for optimal torque output and throws those codes to imply that the transmission is slipping.

I read the FSM service steps to identify and rectify the P0731-P0735 codes.
  • For the P0731, it says to run the vehicle in 1st gear in 1 and if does run, then the FSM asks you to check for line pressure and the 1st clutch pressure. If everything checks out, then clearing and checking for the code to pass the test.
  • For the P0732, it says (after checking for the line pressure, etc) to drive the vehicle in 2nd gear in D, above 7mph for at least 12sec and have the transmissions shift through all give gears. Then it asks to check for any codes
  • For the P0733, it says (after checking for the line pressure, etc) to drive the vehicle in 3rd gear in D, above 7mph for at least 12sec and have the transmissions shift through all give gears. Then it asks to check for any codes
  • For the P0734, it says (after checking for the line pressure, etc) to drive the vehicle in 4th gear in D, above 7mph for at least 12sec and have the transmissions shift through all give gears. Then it asks to check for any codes
  • For the P0735, it says (after checking for the line pressure, etc) to drive the vehicle in 5th gear in D, above 7mph for at least 12sec and have the transmissions shift through all give gears. Then it asks to check for any codes
I gather that the HDS readout for pass or fail is being used to determine these trouble codes, but I cannot (in my limited wisdom) understand how having different physical gear (ratio) would affect a trouble code, as the sensors and line pressure would be the same to shift.

Looking at the gear ratios for the '06-'08 Ridgeline, all those three years have identical ratios from 1st through 5th, reverse and the final.
Honda lists every single transmission with unique part number, but from what we know, all three are interchangeable. Additionally, the PCM is identical in the '06-'07, but carries a different part number for the '08.
However, the obvious is that the ratios are identical and the reason for various part numbers on the transmission and the PCM, I would imagine, is for other reasons and sensors.

Furthermore, the two transmission speed sensors (28820-PCJ-014 & 28810-PCJ-014) are the same for the '06-'08 Ridgeline and '06-'08 Pilot. These same two sensors are also on the '03-'06 MDX transmission. Looking at the physical transmission housings, the MDX and Pilot/Ridgeline are very different.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,138 Posts
Also scouring through numerous photos of the '06-'08 and '09+ Ridgeline transmissions, now I am starting to question the interwebs' truth; the bell housing (the part that mates to the block) being different.
However, they look pretty much the same to me; the entire transmission casing looks almost identical. I even looked at each picture and confirmed the transmission sticker on them to ensure they are misrepresented.

I am confused :(

1st pic: '07 Ridgeline Transmission
2nd pic: '09+ Ridgeline Transmission
3rd pic: '05 MDX transmission

Comparing the Pilot and MDX transmissions They look identical

1st pic: '05 MDX Transmission
2nd pic: '06 Pilot Transmission

Pic #3: 06 Pilot transmission
Pic #4: '05 MDX transmission
Pic #5: '06 Ridgeline Transmission
Pic #6: '09 Ridgeline Transmission

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also scouring through numerous photos of the '06-'08 and '09+ Ridgeline transmissions, now I am starting to question the interwebs' truth; the bell housing (the part that mates to the block) being different.
However, they look pretty much the same to me; the entire transmission casing looks almost identical. I even looked at each picture and confirmed the transmission sticker on them to ensure they are misrepresented.

View attachment 406759
View attachment 406760
View attachment 406761

View attachment 406763
View attachment 406762

View attachment 406764
View attachment 406765
View attachment 406766
View attachment 406767
This is def. The most fun game of find the differences I have ever played LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts

View attachment 406759
View attachment 406760
View attachment 406761

View attachment 406763
View attachment 406762

View attachment 406764
View attachment 406765
View attachment 406766
View attachment 406767
Ok so the 06 Pilot and the 05 MDX do look the same to me from your pictures. However, I am noticing some definitive differences between the 06 and 09 Ridgeline Transmissions. Specifically if you look at mounting bolt hole locations they are not in the same places. What kind of any issues with this create IDK. The JDM transmission on the 06 is not stripped of all the linkage and harness but it does look like the linkage areas between the 06 and 09 are different as well. But that is hard to tell. To really know we would need to see this in person next to one another and have a tape measure.....

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,138 Posts
The '09+ Transmission has very minor differences on the bellhousing side (radiator side) and shift linkage bracketry (as you mentioned) is indeed a much more bolstered piece, than the '06-'08. It looks like they triangulated the bracket on the '09+ while it is just a stand-off on the '06-'08.

Well, you go at it and let me know what else you find :).

·
Registered
24 Posts
The '09+ Transmission has very minor differences on the bellhousing side (radiator side) and shift linkage bracketry (as you mentioned) is indeed a much more bolstered piece, than the '06-'08. It looks like they triangulated the bracket on the '09+ while it is just a stand-off on the '06-'08.

Well, you go at it and let me know what else you find :).
Not likely to come across them together. They are very similar at the least. No doubt about that. May even be completely compatible. 🤔

·
Administrator
16,083 Posts
That is an excellent question that I did not bother to think about. However, here is my counter question; what is the speed ratio tolerance that the PCM looking for, prior to throwing the code?
This information is not provided for the 5-speed (2006-2014) or the 9-speed (2020-2021), but for the 6-speed the actual ratio has to be from 80% to 125% of the commanded ratio - that's very forgiving and shouldn't be a problem if the 5-speed PCM has a similar tolerance. That wouldn't work for the 9-speed, though, since ratio differences between certain gears fall with that range.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts