Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Transmission vibration/grind around 45mph

7733 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Manlythumbs
I've searched for a while and i know I've seen a post before but i cannot find it. Normal driving conditions, around 40-45mph the transmission will lag and grind making an awful noise. All i have to do is let off the gas or give a little gas to downshift and its fine. Can someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
I've searched for a while and i know I've seen a post before but i cannot find it. Normal driving conditions, around 40-45mph the transmission will lag and grind making an awful noise. All i have to do is let off the gas or give a little gas to downshift and its fine. Can someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks.
Search DW1 transmission fluid (or something in that line). You should find many posts.

The early Ridgelines came with a transmission fluid that was replaced by DW1 in later years. This fluid solves MANY problems (such as you described about the 40 mph "clunk" "grind" "lag").

If you have not changed to DW1, you will have to do multiple drain/fills to get the old fluid out.

As a side note... how often do you change the fluids in your truck (trans/differential, etc.)?
Go buy twelve quarts of HONDA DW1 and flush that thing pronto. Let us know how it goes afterwards.
You may want to get 14 Qts of DW1, and change, via Drain & Fill (D&F) the Fluid, 4 times, each time getting 3.5qts out. More than likely you'll find that the shifting will improve after the first few D&F's. 4 times will get you 88% fluid exchanged

Attachments

See less See more
I try to change fluids according to the recommendations. Did one d&f so far. I'll report back with updates after its all said and done. Thanks everyone!
I am experiencing the same issue. When cruising in overdrive at around 45-50 mph, if I slightly lean into the throttle, the rpms will rise a hundred or two, then fall back. Then, sometimes I hear a rattle or grinding noise as the rpms rise slightly(maybe 50 rpm), and then the noise stops as soon as rpms fall back. It will continue this cycle a few times. At higher speeds, the rpms never climb when pushing slightly on the throttle, and the noise never happens. This just started over the last two weeks or so. I thought the noise was wind blowing across the front of the truck at first. I tried to take a video to show what was happening, but it's too shaky and you can't really hear the noise. Please let me know if you find out anything more.
What you guys are experiencing is VERY common on the GenI Ridgeline. My 06 does it as well . . .

Torque converter shudder is probably the "correct" term for it if you are trying to do an internet search on the subject. Switching to DW-1 fluid may help some but I still have the issue and my 06 has been thoroughly switched over to DW-1 for a couple of years. Bottom line is that the problem is very common on the Ridge and so far there doesn't seem to be much if any relationship with other transmission issues. Basically it may be annoying but it really doesn't seem to impact much else.

Dshakes,
You might be missing the point of the multiple dump fills. When you drain the transmission fluid in the standard manner you get just a little bit over 3 quarts of fluid out. The entire system however holds over 10 quarts. The idea of the multiple dump and fills is to get a high percentage of the DW-1 fluid in the transmission. Following the MM in this case will take you over 100k miles to get a high percentage of the Dw-1 in your transmission. Regardless of whether or not the Dw-1 helps with the shudder, it does seem to improve shift quality.

Here's a product the may or may not be snake oil. It gets good reviews on amazon, and I actually tried it last D&F. Shudder was improved but the effect didn't seem to last more the 5kmiles or so. Have fun!
https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-196...F8&qid=1477835999&sr=8-1&keywords=shudder+fix
See less See more
Reactions: 1
This the one you want. I use 4ozs at every D+F. Feels like a different transmission. I'm pushing almost 300,000 KM.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...3_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1ESPATYGPJ6TAYB1XGMN

PS: Check around for better pricing!:grin:
I had the a ame issue. Low rpm in OD would make vibration. At 55mph it would go away. I did one fluid change and the issue has gone away. 2008 with 160k miles
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.