Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone done the actual installation themselves? Tips, suggestions, videos? Seen a lot of threads on people going to shops and opinions, (only the actual TRAXDA guys doing install on the 3.5"F/R and a youtube video of a blue RL w/the .5"R LVL kit) but I want to try and tackle this. It looks simple enough, Spacers, sway bar links, nuts and bolts? lol Sorry. Guarantee I'll need an alignment after but just the basic Install of spacers seem easy enough???

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Sport
50 Posts
holy, shit, I just read that. That sucks... I hope I don't run into something like that.
So I had the dealer install my kit and after I drove off the lot, my CV axle boot split and grease leaked everywhere. They said the axle cracked, so this really is a common issue. Luckily they are covering mine under warranty. I wouldn’t risk doing the install yourself only because if something does happen and you rake it to dealer they will charge you for it whereas then doing labor they will cover it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
holy, shit, I just read that. That sucks... I hope I don't run into something like that.
If you are used to doing at least some type of suspension work. Specially with Honda’s. You should be Ok. Just be careful with cv axle and lower ball joint.

Impact gun (battery powered or pneumatic is always a plus)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I had the dealer install my kit and after I drove off the lot, my CV axle boot split and grease leaked everywhere. They said the axle cracked, so this really is a common issue. Luckily they are covering mine under warranty. I wouldn’t risk doing the install yourself only because if something does happen and you rake it to dealer they will charge you for it whereas then doing labor they will cover it.
Why did the axle crack? How is that common?!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are used to doing at least some type of suspension work. Specially with Honda’s. You should be Ok. Just be careful with cv axle and lower ball joint.

Impact gun (battery powered or pneumatic is always a plus)
I've replaced springs and coilovers but never lifted anything. First time for lifting, always dropped lol...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Why did the axle crack? How is that common?!
They said after installing the lift, it changes the shift in the axle. In my case, more pressure was on driver side. I also experienced rubbing as well, with A\T 245/60/18s (stock tire size) for which they trimmed a little back on fender. Just waiting for my BORA spacers so I can see how much bigger of a tire I can fit in there with no rubbing. in the picture I’m parked next to a new 2020 it’s kinda hard to see difference in height here bc I’m on a little hill but I can definitely feel the height driving and it rides a lot better.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a guy who installs lifts on trucks give it a shot and he said he couldn't do it. Dropped it off to him and he basically said he took off 3 bolts and tried to drop the subframe and couldn't so he gave up. He fkn popped off my fender trim too and i swear my alignments a little off as well as the steering wheel... Going to bring it to a shop now. Lesson learned.... I thought it would be ok since he installed lifts on Tacomas, Rangers, and F-150s but i guess the RLs are different. ugh....

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a guy who installs lifts on trucks give it a shot and he said he couldn't do it. Dropped it off to him and he basically said he took off 3 bolts and tried to drop the subframe and couldn't so he gave up. He fkn popped off my fender trim too and i swear my alignments a little off as well as the steering wheel... Going to bring it to a shop now. Lesson learned.... I thought it would be ok since he installed lifts on Tacomas, Rangers, and F-150s but i guess the RLs are different. ugh....
Good luck, sorry to hear about your truck. I think the Honda dealer is best. If you find a dealer who is certified in Jsport performance parts they will treat you well!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good luck, sorry to hear about your truck. I think the Honda dealer is best. If you find a dealer who is certified in Jsport performance parts they will treat you well!
No Honda dealer here would do that. I'm going to a shop to try to install it though this week... we'll see how it goes...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That sucks!

Yeah Honda suspension is not like the traditional Taco/Chevy truck suspension.
I guess not, the guy who was doing it was like, this thing is killing me. I couldve done 3 trucks with the time it took me to just try to lower the sub frame. I'm like fuckkk.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Easiest way to do the strut lift is to remove the spin/hub from axle,3.5 lift is a big job but it looks fantastic. In my opinion the best way to do this is on a lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL AWD
64 Posts
I just installed the Jsport 1.5" front and .75" rear a couple weeks ago. The back is not bad at all.
The pain is the front because you need to remove the iron knuckle from the strut. It needs to slide down and off the strut. To do that you need to loosen the axle nut so you can slide the cv shaft out and disconnect the lower ball joint. Then I used my floor jack handle and had my daughter sit on it to push the lower control arm down enough to be able to slide the knuckle off. Taking it off is easier, putting it back on was the hard part. I did it in my driveway on jackstands. A lift would have been nice. Jsport has a video of the front lift kit install.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't know why nobody has tried capturing the strut spring in it's compressed state before removal. It would have to buy you close to 2 inches.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't know why nobody has tried capturing the strut spring in it's compressed state before removal. It would have to buy you close to 2 inches.
If you were to compress the strut spring you would still have to compress the strut. How would you do that?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Install the spring compressor tools while the lower control arm supports the weight of the vehicle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry but I can't picture what you are suggesting with the Ridgeline's suspension configuration. I would not put a jack under the aluminum lower control arm.
There really isn't much room to try to compress springs while on the vehicle and there's no practical way to compress the strut then maintain it compressed while still installed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts