Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to take advantage of $1,000 bucks loyalty offer today. Asked salesman to shoot me some numbers. Offered a 2020 RTL-E $41,270 say that was a good deal off. Then offered me $3,500 for my 08 RTL with 180,000 mile serviced by this dealer it's whole life. Not a scratch on it. No rust. new tires. Then told me $1,000 was only for 2019. Pissed me off big time ! They were selling 2020 RTL-E on autotrader for $38.500 just a week or two ago. Today's price was $39,021 Just told him i'm done !! He tried to match $39,021 price but still only $3,500 on my truck. Heck Chevy dealer offered $5,000 site un seen and $13,000 off price of truck. Trucks good for another 20,000 mile before a timing belt and another 40,000 before i need tires. May keep driving it a while.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Email a couple other dealers. Tell them what you want and ask for pricing. Don't mention the trade - negotiate that separatly after you have something in writing for the truck.

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
$3,500 sounds about right for your trade. As is often the case, it seems like it's worth more to you than it is to the dealer. Buy the 2020 for $39K + TT&L, list the 2008 for $6,500 and take $6,000 for it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$3,500 sounds about right for your trade. As is often the case, it seems like it's worth more to you than it is to the dealer. Buy the 2020 for $39K + TT&L, list the 2008 for $6,500 and take $6,000 for it.
Clean trade in is around $7,100 according to NADA So $3,500 is not even close.

·
Administrator
14,930 Posts
NADA is unrealistically high. KBB is closer to reality - still on the high side, but aligns more with MMR (Manheim Market Report) which is what dealers often use. There's no reason to pay a customer more for a vehicle than they can buy one for at auction. I'm just being realistic. :)

The $1,000 loyalty rebate most certainly applies to the 2020 (it's on Honda's website), but today was the last day unless it gets renewed after today.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Clean trade in is around $7,100 according to NADA So $3,500 is not even close.
I was just getting ready to respond with the same info zroger posted.

NADA pricing is a complete outlier.
Take a look at Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds. Their values are much more in like with the $3,500 trade-in offer you received.

If you think your truck is worth so much, why don't you sell it private party?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Last summer we traded in an older CRV to reduce from 4 cars to 3 with one of those KBB market based pricing at the local Honda dealer.. As expected, the dealer cam right in at the lower end of the green range. I was more than ok with that. The car sold at auction and sat around for about 7 months where it was listed for about double of what I traded it in for. OP, seems like your deal isn't far off.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I think that's the best method - separate the new vs. trade prices.

In November I was offered 3k for my 2007 - 163k, rust over rear wheels, clearcoat peeling on RF fender, and the usual interior wear for a 12 year old vehicle (no rips, pieces missing, etc.). If I'd sold it myself would've likely asked 5.5 and hoped for 4.5.

At closing I took the trade off the table, and they sold me the RTL-AWD for the negotiated price. Had been a little concerned that they'd raise the new-truck price, to balance not making $ off the somewhat-rare used RL, but that evidently wasn't a component of their pricing.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
You need to shop around. Ridgeline prices and deals seem to vary widely depending on different dealerships.

When i bought, I shopped at least a half-dozen dealers, with the closest one being over an hour away. The closest dealer also wouldn't budge on their high price, and i ended up going to a dealer three hours away.

Only after making the initial deal did I bring the trade-in into the picture, as I was also prepared to sell it outright if I got low-balled too much.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,307 Posts
At that price point, you are much better off selling privately as your tax savings on the purchase of a new Ridgeline are negligible. Also people are always looking for inexpensive dependable cars which the G1 certainly is. The price you were given on the 2020 is nothing special.......the internet is your friend. I went to all local dealers and got poor offers on my trade and nothing great on prices for a 2020. Driving 220 miles saved me $6,700 off sticker and netted $2,000 more on trade. Definitely worth the time.

·
Super Moderator
1,433 Posts
When i sold my 2012 Ford Escape in 2016 I netted an extra 3,000 from selling it myself vs the trade in the dealer offered. Same as others have noted here. But, i was confident that whoever i sold it to would be happy with it. And it turned out it sold to a neighbor and they still have it. I wave every time i see them go by while i'm out cutting the grass on the lower 40. She told me she still "loves" the car. It probably has close to 200k on it now.

Steve

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I wouldn't be buying anything right now. Keep driving your existing Ridgeline. The deals are not today. Dealers are selling so few vehicles presently the salesmen, sales manager, etc, are trying to ring your neck for anything they sell because they aren't selling any kind of volume. Unemployment numbers are going to go up over the next 90 days. Deals will be had in September on.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Volume of sales might be bad, but low supply would correlate with recent higher prices. Dealers likely hitting the "pause" button/hunkering down for now, some until supply returns and people are more fully out of the Covid cloud. The next sales boom will depend, though, on people regaining employment - let's hope that happens sooner than later.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,736 Posts
If you are not a Costco Member, just sign up and save a bunch on through their Costco Auto Program. Trading in a vehicle to the dealer is a joke, esp when your vehicle is very old. My BIL got offered $4600 for his 2015 Accord EX-L with under 40K miles and $400 for their 2004 Acura TL. Needless to say, they still drive those two around along with their 2020 Pilot. Private sale is your way.

In 2018, I was shopping for an Odyssey and landed a very good offer on it through Costco program. I used that number to contact 20+ dealerships (via email) and got close to 15+ responses with about 13 or so with written final offers. Ironically I walked into my local dealership on a Tuesday afternoon around 1pm, found the vehicle in the lot, dropped an offer for them. For a long time, the sale price of my Odyssey was the lowest in the country (price submissions on OdyClub.com), however the TT&H offsets things in other states.
Needless to say, I shopped for a while and shopped hard for about 6 weeks, before I ended up purchasing the van. I also took a test drive of the van in the same trim as the one I was purchasing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was offered 3k for my 2007 - 163k, rust over rear wheels, clearcoat peeling on RF fender, and the usual interior wear for a 12 year old vehicle
Had been a little concerned that they'd raise the new-truck price, to balance not making $ off the somewhat-rare used RL, but that evidently wasn't a component of their pricing.
The dealer never intended to make money off a 13 yr old vehicle with rust & paint failure by putting it on their lot.
They would have sent that vehicle straight to auction.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The dealer never intended to make money off a 13 yr old vehicle with rust & paint failure by putting it on their lot.
They would have sent that vehicle straight to auction.
Of course. Knew it wouldn't go on their lot, but at 3k they should've been able to make a few dollars anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FYI Dealer had a 4th owner 09 RTL for $12,500 did not have complete service history. Carfax say trade in should have been around 5,000 to 6,000 so i think KBB is off. Traded my wife's 04 accord at the same dealer 6 moths ago they gave me 5,000 for that car plus . took off several thousand. They are selling lots of cars here. In fact the lots are starting to look empty.

·
Registered
196 Posts
They are selling lots of cars here. In fact the lots are starting to look empty.
Which means they are less likely to give you a great deal on your trade-in and/or the new car.
They don't need to since people are buying and inventory is low.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts