Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wailed and nashed teeth about this for 2 months! One day I want a Ridgeline, one day I don't. Here are the pros and cons for me:

Pro: I'm a Realtor. I need something that will seat 4 and still allow me to haul signs and such outside the vehicle.

Pro: It weighs 6050 lbs. Anything over 6000 is considered a commercial vehicle by Uncle Sam. Long story short - if I buy this, I could potentially save $10,000 in taxes next year. No, really.

Pro: Its a Honda 'nuff said

Con: It gets half the gas mileage of my sedan. At 30,000 miles a year, thats a killer.

Con: I'm paying $35,000 for a work vehicle. Ouch.

Con: This might sound snobby - but it is true. If I drive a Hyundai for a year, and a Mercedes for a year, I sell about 20% more the second year. I have always owned 60,000 mile + luxury cars and paid about $15,000 each because it made smart business sense. I am just wondering if this Honda looks too plain.

HOWEVER! I just found the first trim kit place that supports the Ridgeline, and I think this will end up being the thing that swings me over.

http://www.bdtrims.com/dash-kits.ph...71&PHPSESSID=b2dc71fa12420f2d842cf54bdda8abd7

Any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I love the look of the OEM trim kit, but don't want to pay that price. This trim kit gives you more for much less money. I'm interested, but I want to see a photo of the Ridgeline dash with trim first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The weight limit applies to the GVWR. Honda may have been smart enough to figure out people would get this deduction.

This was set up to encourage business owners to buy new delivery vehicles, thus spark the economy. Because of the weight, I can literally deduct $25,000 off of my income if I buy this vehicle and use it for my business.

Based on this year, that reduces my taxes by $9400.

Basically, I can either pay the government an extra $9400, or take $9400 off the price of the truck. :eek:

HOWEVER - since there is recapture when I sell - I have to drive this truck into the ground, or pay that money back.

So, compared to a sedan that gets 30 mpg, I am looking at an extra 1000 gallons of gas (or $2000 bucks) each year in gas, which is about the same $10,000 over the life of the vehicle. :mad:

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Those trim kits come in some nice colors. I really like the Titanium Burlwood and the Ebony wood.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Oz before you buy the truck i would check with your accountant. My wife is a CPA and you needed to purchase by 12/31/04 to take full advantage. You can accelerate the depreciation but it's not like it was last year

·
Registered
112 Posts
ozarkhawk,

You drive 50,000 miles a year :eek: (1000 gal. extra gas for diff between 30 and 18.5 mpg)

And I thought I enjoyed driving my Ridgeline.

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I get home I will post pictures of my truck. I installed the roof rack-wind deflector for the moonroof-running boards-chrome trim on the bumpers-hood air deflector-front brush guard-interior trim-optional grill-trailer hitch and wiring-etc. I just installed 20" wheels and 265/35/20 zr nitto tires yesterday. I tried the 22's with the nitto's at my friends' shop and everyone agreed that 22's are just too big.Taking the running boards off to get them chromed next week.Gotta get some parts chromed for my sons' Jr Dragster so I may as well throw in a few parts of my own.Gonna bend up a stainless twice-pipe exhaust system soon as I can find some type 304 non-magnetic surgical stainless.Yep,I'm a hot rodder. I modify everything that I own.I cut up my beans just to see what they are made of.Check out one of my toys at aol homepages under bigtars32 and son streetrod.My other toy is my 2000 Avenger alcohol funnycar.Not competive but its enough to keep my attention.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's great to see an alternative in so many finishes. I have the navigation system however and can't find a trim kit at the above link to accomodate it.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
boxsky said:
Oz before you buy the truck i would check with your accountant. My wife is a CPA and you needed to purchase by 12/31/04 to take full advantage. You can accelerate the depreciation but it's not like it was last year
You are 100% correct. The big tax deduction for 6000+ lbs. GVW was repealed last year.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Has anyone found a good real wood interior trim kit. Thought the wood might "warm-up" the visuals in my green interior. (like a nice pecan grain)
The ones so far are a bit over the top (I want to accent the interior, not overwhelm it like JC Whitney on meth) I understand the aftermarket companies don't usually ramp-up to something like this unless there is some volume in manufacturing, but surely there are some specialty sites somewhere.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks Jason! The pictures show a much more quality product than anything else I have seen so far. Very nice. Can't wait to check it out!

·
Banned
2,024 Posts
pbear said:
Thanks Jason! The pictures show a much more quality product than anything else I have seen so far. Very nice. Can't wait to check it out!
Thanks for the kind words. We have two new layouts, a smaller version and a larger expanded version. I'm going to try and offer special prices since this is a new item for us. Feel free to shoot an email and I can send more info to anyone that wants it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey buddy,

Sent you an email on your business website. I couldn't find any Ridgeline examples, but figured you just hadn't updated the site yet. Looking forward to seeing what ya got. BTW, your website intro is the best one of all the "automotive interior trim" websites I have been on and I have been thru about, oh, 15+. As a web designer myself, whomever developed it, did a fine job! Now, if you could just get some "grill" products for the Ridgeline.

·
Banned
2,024 Posts
pbear said:
Hey buddy,

Sent you an email on your business website. I couldn't find any Ridgeline examples, but figured you just hadn't updated the site yet. Looking forward to seeing what ya got. BTW, your website intro is the best one of all the "automotive interior trim" websites I have been on and I have been thru about, oh, 15+. As a web designer myself, whomever developed it, did a fine job! Now, if you could just get some "grill" products for the Ridgeline.
Replied to your email. Yes, the website isn't fully updated, but the kit is avail with two different layouts and the quality is just awesome. Thanks for the compliment. That means alot coming from your profession.

As for the grilles, we will have them in about 3 weeks. For top, sides, and bottom!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts