Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took our Rockwood Roo 233S on our first decent trip this past weekend. About 4 hours from Maryland to the Poconos in Pennsylvania. Not mountainous but hilly. A mix of interstate (65-70 mph speed limits), state highways (55 mph speed limits), and local roads. The Ridgeline did a decent job with the tow. I think it is at the limit, but I'm comfortable with how it went. Kept speeds below 65 (generally 63-65 on interstates). RPM held mostly around 3800 heading up grads and less on the flats. Would occasionally downshift on steeper/longer grades to 4000+ RPM. I was curious how that would play out with the new 9-speed vs my 6-speed transmission. Mileage was 11-12 mpg depending on how heavy my foot was. (that is also the same MPG our F-150 with the 5.4L motor got when towing).

Wind warnings on the way there so that is always "fun" towing a big box, but never felt crazy. Heavy rain most of the way back, so we certainly sampled what mother nature could throw at the trip.

Setup:
2017 RTL-E (AWD)
stock Firestone Destination LE2 tires
Reese weight distribution/sway control
Prodigy 3 brake controller
CIPA 11950 Universal Clip-On Towing Mirror Black & Silver, 15.75 Inch. This was my first time using these mirrors and they did an admirable job. Definitely aided and worth the very few dollars! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029WRKA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
propane tanks probably about 1/2 full
24 gallons of water in the fresh water tank

If you look at past posts, we have towed a prior 25' camper that was a bit lighter, 6" narrower, and a bit lower since it didn't have a slideout. The truck often has something of various sizes and weights behind it. Would a Tundra/RAM/F150/Titan work a little less hard, sure, I'm not debating that, but just sharing my experience. Heck, on the way home yesterday, I saw a guy towing a larger camper than ours behind a Subaru Ascent!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow...that looks huge but I guess dual axel helps. What does that trailer weigh?
Empty, 4372. We try to pack light. We don't bring nearly the stuff that many people bring. Not only for weight, but it keeps it simple when you pack up!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
As NorCal Mike noted, that looks ginormous. Considering ~5000#, that profile and high winds, I'm seriously impressed.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
289 Posts
shifflett thanks for sharing your experience
how do you feel with the stock tires on highway with trucks passing and crosswinds?
it feels pretty squishy(?)/floaty/(hard to describe) to me
I have some experience, weights, and more details in this post
At this point, I'm not ready to give in and trade up for half-ton just yet, but I suspect either my Recurve R3 hitch and/or my stock tires are leading me to a less than confident towing experience. (I understand it won't be a perfect "it-cant-even-tell-its-back-there", but I also have no other reference or experience with towing this size or with larger vehicles.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, not sure, but it will have some new shoes shortly since I have almost 54K on the stock tires. Plan on going with Michelin Defender LTX (fantastic experiences in the past with these) or Michelin CrossClimate 2. It really comes down to if I want to stick with the stock size or hangout with the 265 guys (the CrossClimate is not available in 265). I suspect the Defenders are a bit less squishy given my past experiences. I will post after my next trip.
I'm with you on that stick-with-what-you-got or go to a full-size debate. It's part of the bigger picture of truck, wife's SUV, and her wanting to retire... We can always tow with her Lexus GX, but she's not sure she wants to keep driving a larger SUV. Plus, I keep all of "my stuff" in my truck for towing, like lug wrenches, tools, flashlight, compressor, etc. Oh, the troubles...

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is all pretty interesting to me since I ordered a nuCamp Tab 400 teardrop style trailer two weeks ago with delivery in July. But it has dry weight of around 3K and GVR of 3.9K so hoping, along with more aero profile, I don't regret trying to tow with my 19 RTL-E.

One thing to keep in mind is your towing capability is also impacted by elevation gain so if you head up to the mountains, your theoretical CGVWR goes down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NorCal Mike, if I was going coast-to-coast, I would probably upsize my vehicle if I was towing my trailer. But for a few times a year (trying to MAKE more time for stuff like camping) this will probably work. But you may have a sweet combo there and I am certain that you won't have regrets.

Off-topic, but sort of tow-related, did anyone see the story about the guy that towed his Jeep behind his motorhome while the Jeep was in 4-Low??? They calculated that the engine was turning at 55K RPM's before it blew apart! How in the heck did he not feel that?

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is all pretty interesting to me since I ordered a nuCamp Tab 400 teardrop style trailer two weeks ago with delivery in July. But it has dry weight of around 3K and GVR of 3.9K so hoping, along with more aero profile, I don't regret trying to tow with my 19 RTL-E.

One thing to keep in mind is your towing capability is also impacted by elevation gain so if you head up to the mountains, your theoretical CGVWR goes down.
@NorCal Mike
The GVR for the [email protected] 400 is actually 3,700 lbs.
The axle is rated for 3,900 lbs, but the gross trailer less. See the sticker on the drivers side of the trailer's A-frame.
And the Ridgeline tows this rig very nicely - even cross country. I can speak with authority on this as I've just done it. Although I have the 9 speed with selectable shifting via the paddles - which makes finding and using the engines sweet spot pretty easy when doing long interstate stretches, and particularly going up and down hills.
And I'm not using any sway or WDH and have absolutely no need for it - the [email protected] just follows behind, no sway, no issues. I think this size trailer is a very good fit for the Ridgelines capabilities.
Expect 12 MPG at 65 -70 MPH...13-14 MPG if you can stand to travel at 55 MPH!
The smallish gas tank it the worst part of towing with the Ridgeline...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I second the small gas tank complaint! I'm now very jealous of the 9-speed and the selectable shifting...

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It's part of the bigger picture of truck, wife's SUV, and her wanting to retire... We can always tow with her Lexus GX, but she's not sure she wants to keep driving a larger SUV. Plus, I keep all of "my stuff" in my truck for towing, like lug wrenches, tools, flashlight, compressor, etc. Oh, the troubles...
Wow, this sounds like us - both the nearing-retirement part and the GX too.

I think the GX is an excellent, durable machine - and it's nice knowing the 7500# tow capacity is there if we should need it - but my wife would probably prefer something a little smaller and more nimble.

I'm with you on the RL trunk too....would be tough not having my rolling gear locker.

·
Registered
55 Posts
@NorCal Mike
The GVR for the [email protected] 400 is actually 3,700 lbs.
The axle is rated for 3,900 lbs, but the gross trailer less. See the sticker on the drivers side of the trailer's A-frame.
And the Ridgeline tows this rig very nicely - even cross country. I can speak with authority on this as I've just done it. Although I have the 9 speed with selectable shifting via the paddles - which makes finding and using the engines sweet spot pretty easy when doing long interstate stretches, and particularly going up and down hills.
And I'm not using any sway or WDH and have absolutely no need for it - the [email protected] just follows behind, no sway, no issues. I think this size trailer is a very good fit for the Ridgelines capabilities.
Expect 12 MPG at 65 -70 MPH...13-14 MPG if you can stand to travel at 55 MPH!
The smallish gas tank it the worst part of towing with the Ridgeline...
Well I don't have mine yet but the one I did look at had this which says GVWR of 3900 and GAWR of same weight unless I am reading this wrong

·
Registered
21 RL RTL-E Silver
199 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Keep in mind that Honda says limit speed to 55 mph when towing a trailer like in post #1.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
42 Posts
At the risk of being repetitious, I have a 7' wide, 3300lb empty 2017 Livinlite 16' travel trailer, its got a relatively aerodynamic curved front profile (not flat). 2020 RTL-E obviously AWD and 9 speed with paddle shifters. I picked it up in Tampa FL, 160 miles from us- empty ( 2 people in the truck.) I get 24 mpg at 80 mph going over, and 10.4 mpg at 65 mph coming across very flat FL towing. Biggest hills in FL are highway overpasses, and those incurred a 5mph drop in speed, at least. I forced the tranny to 7th speed, seemed a good compromise of RPM and 65 mph speed. Any higher gear ratio and the cruise control was not able to maintain speed (over flat terrain). Still, the truck is not up to the task- it just doesn't have the torque nor horsepower which come in well above 6000 RPM. I picked the trailer up prior to installing my EBC, and it did fine with in town stop-and go driving on just the Ridge's brakes, and up to perhaps 55mph 'in town'. The truck suspension handled the trailer great at all times, no highway sway to speak of, etc.... Did great. I just think we lack the power....... We plan to take it cross country- at 55 mph ? Hmmm....... As per what
HRL383 said, I can now see why there is a 55 mph towing speed recommendation from Honda.........(I didnt know that)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 55 mph is a general rule of thumb and stated in many manuals and trailer guides. Many states have trailering speed limits of 55 mph. Do people follow that - heck no. Depending on the trailer tire, speed ratings differ as well but generally are not nearly as high as passenger vehicle tires.

State by state speed limits (at least in 2018):

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well I don't have mine yet but the one I did look at had this which says GVWR of 3900 and GAWR of same weight unless I am reading this wrong View attachment 411340
@NorCal Mike
You are reading it correctly! Well this is interesting...My 03/2020 manufactured 2021 [email protected] 400 says 3,700 LBS GVWR (with a 3,900 LB axle).
We pack light though and are well under 3,500 LBS, so not really an issue for me, but I do wonder why the different specs, unless the early info plate is just incorrect.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Thanks for posting.
Has anyone found a way to track transmission oil temperatures yet? Sure Honda has an overheat light but old school here wants to know the actual temps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There was someone who recently thought they had cracked the transmission oil temp issue. They listed the app and the Bluetooth dongle. I'll hunt around.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
289 Posts
Yes there are several ways to monitor ATF temps.
1. Scangauge
2. Bluetooth LE dongle + app, (vgate icar pro + car scanner iOS app works great for me)
The 6 speed has a different “address” for where the temps are vs the 9 speed but both scangauge, car scanner and others can monitor either. There is another thread which talks about adding this to other apps like Torque app, I.e.if you are on Android.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts