Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new owner to the Ridgeline family and excited for pickup in two weeks. I was an Avalanche driver for the past years and suffered through numerous leaks into the cabin through the midgate due to blocked drainage in the truck bed. I am wondering if anyone can provide some guidance as to how the truck bed drains after a rainfall? Any search online results in great reviews for the "tailgating" drain feature for the in bed trunk lol which is not what I am after. Wondering if there are specific spots to watch out for from the G1 version of the Ridgeline (if in fact they drain the same way). Thanks for any help you can provide.
Steve

· Premium Member
608 Posts
I am a new owner to the Ridgeline family and excited for pickup in two weeks. I was an Avalanche driver for the past years and suffered through numerous leaks into the cabin through the midgate due to blocked drainage in the truck bed. I am wondering if anyone can provide some guidance as to how the truck bed drains after a rainfall? Any search online results in great reviews for the "tailgating" drain feature for the in bed trunk lol which is not what I am after. Wondering if there are specific spots to watch out for from the G1 version of the Ridgeline (if in fact they drain the same way). Thanks for any help you can provide.
Steve
There are several drain holes for the bed at the front of the bed on the bottom. On mine, which is white, you can see them as the white shows through. I've been through some nasty rains storms this summer and have noticed that the bed drains nicely. I have had to pull an occasional piece of gunk out of one or two of the holes once or twice. I believe the tailgate is also designed to allow water to flow out from underneath; however, the rake of the vehicle puts the water to the front, where most of it leaves via those holes.

PS: We had an '03 Avalanche for 3 years and I loved it...wife didn't, as it was too big for her to parallel park, even with the sensors we added. Never had an issue with the midgate; however, didn't own it for too long and only used it a few times when hauling. It was a great tow vehicle.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear about the visible drain holes. I will have to look once I receive my RL.

Wrt to the avalanche and midgate leaks, very common problem and you wouldn't even know as it would leak all under the underpad in the main cabin and the owner would not be aware until long after it started. All behind the scenes. There were six drain ports (four of which hidden and needed all seals removed to gain access. Mine were FULL of junk from years of use before I owned it.

Thanks again.

· Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,967 Posts
There are several drain holes for the bed at the front of the bed on the bottom. On mine, which is white, you can see them as the white shows through. I've been through some nasty rains storms this summer and have noticed that the bed drains nicely. I have had to pull an occasional piece of gunk out of one or two of the holes once or twice. I believe the tailgate is also designed to allow water to flow out from underneath; however, the rake of the vehicle puts the water to the front, where most of it leaves via those holes.
Doobiewah, I'm unable to see these holes. Can you describe where they are or do you have a pic? It's clear to me they exist since the bed does drain very well. Thanks for any info you can offer.

· Registered
166 Posts
There is I believe 6-8 drainage holes where the front of the bed (closer to the cab) meets the front of the bed wall (one that is against the cab). Right where those two pieces meet on the bottom you should be able to see them. I also have white and can easily tell where they are. Maybe try to use a flashlight.

· Premium Member
608 Posts
Doobiewah, I'm unable to see these holes. Can you describe where they are or do you have a pic? It's clear to me they exist since the bed does drain very well. Thanks for any info you can offer.
I'm away on a business trip; however, Dman77's comment about trying a flashlight might work for you. It is quite easy to see the white against the black bed. Your dark red may not be so easy to see. If you don't find them by the time I get back this weekend, I shall try to take a pic and post it for you.

· Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
Thank you, gentlemen. Knowing they are there and where they are helps. I'll look tomorrow and I'm sure I'll find them.

· Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
I found the drainage holes yesterday. Thanks. It was easier to see them standing behind the truck with the door swung open, since on mine at any rate, the holes are about 80% covered by the lower lip of the front bed wall panel. Also the only color that showed was black. I count 10 holes in total. They are probably big enough to get small drain tubes into assuming they weren't mostly covered up by the front bed will cover. I estimate that the holes are about half an inch, maybe a little more than that. Perhaps you could cut away part of the lip of the bed wall panel to access one of these holes. There are two holes that are actually more on the side in something like a wrap-around the corner. You might also be able to rig something up by taking off the front bed wall panel. Perhaps choosing some very flexible hosing for the end that goes under the bed rail cover lip would work for. If I wound up with a tonneau that requires drainage, such as the Retrax models, you can bet that I'm damn well going circumvent the need to drill additional holes into the bed by trying to tap into these drain holes.

Appreciate your help!

Reactions: Doobiewah
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.