Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You would think that honda would be flooding the market with brochures and other info being they are talking about a April release date. The dealers don't anything about the truck like it doesn't even exist.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My dealer said to expect April, i thought for sure we would have some details by now. And then i heard there wont be any pricing or details for the Superbowl commercial. Looks like all we will get is pictures for the next month...

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Well, Honda may be relying on the Super Bowl as a starting point. But if not, I would not be surprised based on the unsuccessful ad campaigns for the gen 1 from day one.
It has always been too little too late.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Dealers don't want to talk about something they can sell in 3 months.

They want to talk about what they can sell you today.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Remember guys,
No real information has been released for the truck (specs). It's hard to have brochures before you have information released.

I think once the data's available, the dealers will get briefed, and product sheets/materials will follow shortly thereafter. I'm guessing this might not be until late Feb early Mar. (just a guess)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
You would think that honda would be flooding the market with brochures and other info being they are talking about a April release date. The dealers don't anything about the truck like it doesn't even exist.
Very common. The dealers won't get anything before it shows up online and here. And even then, most of the staff at the dealer won't even know about the marketing stuff until the Sales manager actually puts it out on the floor or hands it out at a sales meeting. Which they will do when they have inventory to sell.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Operating expenses are simply too high to justify any dealer investing in conversation about a vehicle not yet in production with TBD delivery dates + undisclosed pricing + fuzzy feature/capacities with a prospective buyer making a decision months from now about a vehicle that can't be touched, driven and experienced first hand.

Anxious consumers might find the wait frustrating but the current state of affairs makes total sense from a business perspective.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Operating expenses are simply too high to justify any dealer investing in conversation about a vehicle not yet in production with TBD delivery dates + undisclosed pricing + fuzzy feature/capacities with a prospective buyer making a decision months from now about a vehicle that can't be touched, driven and experienced first hand.

Anxious consumers might find the wait frustrating but the current state of affairs makes total sense from a business perspective.
It also serves to drive up people's interest! A little frenzy is a good thing for Honda...

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
It also serves to drive up people's interest! A little frenzy is a good thing for Honda...
No doubt about that. It's a balancing act between OEMs and dealers. Each having similar but different business realities. Example: every day a vehicle occupies space on the dealer lot, it accrues flooring expense & drives down margin while the OEM cost to allocate that vehicle is already sunk but needs new space for current production.

Both are interested in moving existing inventory, but for different reasons. And both are trying to maintain public interested in whats coming next. Its a challenge the entire industry faces, especially those offering "commodity" level products.

The point is, its understandable Honda dealers appear unprepared for the next gen RL. While looking to the future, they've got today to deal with.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Toyota was slow to get the build site on the web up and running. Even specs were slow to be released. I expect the same with Honda.

I have never purchased a new Honda. I have purchased a couple of used ones from private party sells. Good cars.

I realize with a new vehicle dealers will try to get msrp or higher. I do see that Toyota Tacoma sell prices have come down.

So how long after the Ridgeline comes out do you think dealers will sell for less than msrp?

How much above invoice were people able to buy the 1Gen Ridgeline?

The new Ridgeline has me putting off buying a Tacoma. It seems the Honda may better fit my needs in a mid size pickup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Toyota was slow to get the build site on the web up and running. Even specs were slow to be released. I expect the same with Honda.

I have never purchased a new Honda. I have purchased a couple of used ones from private party sells. Good cars.

I realize with a new vehicle dealers will try to get msrp or higher. I do see that Toyota Tacoma sell prices have come down.

So how long after the Ridgeline comes out do you think dealers will sell for less than msrp?

The new Ridgeline has me putting off buying a Tacoma. It seems the Honda may better fit my needs in a mid size pickup.
I have a Sport 4x4 on order fit for March delivery, but then I saw this being the more practical choice for my needs! Plus it has all the newest safety and phone integration that Toyota hasn't invested into the Taco! Definitely can't wait to test drive one and see aftermarket support!

·
Registered
139 Posts

Me too. I was all set to get into a new Taco, but they are having quite a few issues, and then I saw the new RL & have decided I'll go with it, Lord willing. :smile: btw love the forum upgrade! :grin:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Honda sales staff - ugh!

It's been more than a year since many lots have had a Ridgeline to sell. I'd say sales staff turnover is significant enough to say a fraction have yet to sell a Honda truck.

I hope some how, some way, Honda elevates training the sales staff on this vehicle. I'd say Gen 2 is a tad more complex than Gen 1 and did they ever butcher Gen 1 info!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Most of those guys are just "sales guys"; they'll migrate to whatever dealer / brand is hiring. They don't usually know anymore about the cars than they pick up in the overview training materials they are given. Surely not as much as an avid brand-fan. Best not to rely on them unless you know one who has been with Honda forever & really knows his vehicles. That's more rare than common.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, whoever is hoping for "class leading towing" I hate to burst your bubble. I talked with the Honda rep at the Philly show and was quoted "expect between 5K and 6K for towing" "like the new pilot". I didn't expect a higher value. I was quoted "class leading fuel economy" though.

·
Registered
566 Posts
class leading fuel economy means it MUST be 27mpg highway or better.. my guess is right at 27, "like the new pilot"

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Pilot with the 6-speed (Awd)only gets 26mpg highway. The new RL is a bit less aerodynamic, so it might get only 25mpg. I don't see how it would get better than the pilot. I really don't think they expect to make or sell many FWD Rl's. Only people in southern climates or Richard Simmons would buy a FWD pickup.

·
Registered
566 Posts
other trucks in its class like the colorado, get 26mpg highway with a v6 so if it doesnt get better than that Honda is lying..

·
Registered
566 Posts
I must have been looking at the 2.5L I-4 on the colorado, which is actually 27 MPG highway (not sure where i got the 26). So i would expect the Ridgeline to be 25 mpg then in order to be "best in class"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts