Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must have overloaded the trunk and somehow blocked the unlocking mechanism because I cannot get the trunk lid open. The lock clicks when I press the release but the lid will not open.

Anyone have any ideas? Can access be gained by removing the bed side panels?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that too but no go. I even tried the key but it doesn't turn either direction. If I pry the lid off and ruin it in the process it will cost me $285 for a new one so I'm open to more suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
dacvulcan said:
I tried that too but no go. I even tried the key but it doesn't turn either direction. If I pry the lid off and ruin it in the process it will cost me $285 for a new one so I'm open to more suggestions.

If it's not to far or inconvenient I would take it to your dealer and say "Hey can you open this for me"?

That way, they break. They pay.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Make sure that no one messed with the switch inside the glove compartment that disables the in-bed trunk release mechansim (it's for additional security for your trunk).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
flymuck said:
Make sure that no one messed with the switch inside the glove compartment that disables the in-bed trunk release mechansim (it's for additional security for your trunk).
OOC, went out to check your suggestion; the trunk will open with the key still.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the security switch in the glove compartment and it was OK. I tried the trunk lid with the switch in both positions with no luck.

I also had two people sit on the lid after depressing the release and then stand up on the bumper quickly but that failed to release the lid also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lid appears to be flush. When I last closed it I had just loaded a couple of cardboard boxes full of junk that didn't quite fit so I forced the lid down.

When I depress the release button you can hear the lock mechanism click but the lid won't open.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
dacvulcan said:
The lid appears to be flush. When I last closed it I had just loaded a couple of cardboard boxes full of QUOTE]

Oh no!

Was there still beer in the cardboard boxes :D

Hope you got ice!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
OOC, went out to check your suggestion; the trunk will open with the key still.
Yeah, that's what it says in the manual too. Just thought it might be worth a try (and apparently it didn't do any good).

Dacvulcan, I'd take it to a dealer to solve/fix -- sounds like something is definitely broken in the release mechanism, to me. I think even if you had it too rammed full you would've been able to get it to release with the things you've tried.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You might also try striking the lid sharply with a rubber mallet as you turn the key and both pushing and pulling on the release handle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I friend of mine bought a new Ridgeline and I just checked out his trunk to see if I could figure out what is wrong with mine.

There is a yellow release lever that must serve as an emergency release and if you hold it in the closed position the trunk release handle will not open. The key will not turn either. Evidently one of the boxes I jammed into the trunk is preventing the emergency release lever from moving.

I guess my next move is to drive on a washboard road and see if I can dislodge the jammed box. Of course the truck rides so smooth that probably won't work.

I was also thinking of jamming a rod of some sort up through the drain plug to see if I can dislodge the box.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
dacvulcan said:
I was also thinking of jamming a rod of some sort up through the drain plug to see if I can dislodge the box.
This is just a thought.
If the cardboard boxes are full of junk like you stated earlier and is of little value why not fill the the trunk with some water through the drain hole.

The cardboard should disintegrate and settle enough to allow the emergency lever to move. Sounds drastic but may work.

Joe

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
dacvulcan said:
I've only taken the drain plug out once, so I'm not sure, but I thought the drain plug was a twist and pull removal instead of just being able to push it out from the outside?

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
swampler said:
I've only taken the drain plug out once, so I'm not sure, but I thought the drain plug was a twist and pull removal instead of just being able to push it out from the outside?
You are correct that it is a twist (counter clockwise) and pull from inside the trunk.

However, from the bottom there is a lip or edge area that you can get a hold of with a needle-nosed pliers and twist and push it up into the trunk.

Joe

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Filling the trunk with water sounds like a good idea but if you remove the plug and are pumping water from below it will be very difficult to keep the water from running out faster that it goes in.

I can lift one edge of the lid slightly and am going to use a 3/8" x 3' long socket extension in an attempt to push the box out of the way.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Go to parking lot and get up some speed and stomp the brakes and see if it will shift enough to release. Try multiple times until it works, do not be afraid (romp on the brakes).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Success!

No, I didn't fill the trunk with water, I didn't wedge a rod under the lid, and I didn't slam on the brakes. I went out to the grocery store tonight and instead of slowing down for the series of three speed bumps in the parking lot I just rolled over them at about 20mph. I parked the truck, opened the tailgate, and when I tried the trunk lid release the lid almost flew off in my hand.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts