Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching around for mods for my new 2020 Ridgeline, and I saw this trunk lid organizer. Brilliant! Take my money!

Except...it's for the trunk lid of a Honda Goldwing motorcycle, not the Ridgeline. Anyway, now I really want one of these things for tools and stuff, and I'm wondering, is there a company that makes something like this that would work for the Ridgeline trunk lid?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
49 Posts
I use small bungee cords to hold a couple of disassembled rod and reels to the trunk lid. It keep them from getting damaged if laid down in the trunk with other items. So far, its working well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's an awesome idea going to show a friend & see if he can make. He does interior stuff se a hobby.
Cool. Let me know who you come up with. I'd be interested in mounting the large rectangle one. Or even the one that is designed for the Model X frunk lid.

·
Registered
43 Posts
One of the first things I did to my 2017 RTL-T when I got it in spring of 2018 was to mount a left over trunk organizer to the underside of the trunk. Mine is a black base fabric with a few solid pockets but mostly a light cargo cord material (like in most trunk nets).

It certainly won't hold a bunch of weight, but for bungee cords, work gloves, and miscellaneous small items, it's a great way to keep them from getting buried.

I just used very small (short with a large washered head) screws into the ribs, being careful to avoid any wire routes, etc.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the first things I did to my 2017 RTL-T when I got it in spring of 2018 was to mount a left over trunk organizer to the underside of the trunk. Mine is a black base fabric with a few solid pockets but mostly a light cargo cord material (like in most trunk nets).
Can you post some pictures? Where did you get the organizer?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can you post some pictures? Where did you get the organizer?
Sorry- been so busy lately I forgot to follow up with pics, and knew that, rightly so, someone would ask! Should have years ago.

Traveling with the family right now, but will get some taken as soon as I can and get them uploaded!

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Be sure to view my recent post on a trunk lid organizer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
After much delay I was finally pulling things out of my trunk and remembered to snap a pic.

As shared previously I don't put anything too heavy in there, just things like gloves, rags, utility knife, cam straps (ratchet straps are wrapped and stored in a trunk organizer below).

My organizer in the pic is a random generic one from an old vehicle, and you can see a buckle loop on each side. I use one as a quick release loop to hold those ever handy tie wraps (black and orange covered wires).

Basically, this holds many of the small, light items that could easily be lost if stored in with straps, jumper cables, hitch gear, etc.

From there, I keep red flags for long items in both this caddy as well as in the side storage panel, with some spare rope and gloves, in case the bed is already loaded.

One other positive about this is that the size allows access to the internal trunk release.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice! Any idea where I could find something like that?
I used to have a Kia Soul and I believe I bought this as a seat back organizer for that with loops for the headrests. I WANT to say that, at that time (2009ish) I likely bought this from the local Walmart. I remember it being a very generic, cheap piece.

I suspect that any of the common perveyors of cheap auto accessories (Walmart, Amazon, ebay, etc) would offer something along these lines. Unfortunately my bed is fully loaded so I cant go out to measure the size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One more question for you: how did you attach it to the trunk lid? It looks like some self tapping screws and large washers?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Although the idea is attractive, I would think that it would not take much added weight for the trunk lid hold-open device to not work.
It doesn't, I have a BedRug and you have to have the lid opened past the bed cover for it to stay up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
One more question for you: how did you attach it to the trunk lid? It looks like some self tapping screws and large washers?
Yep, used the very smallest screws and largest washers that I could find to keep anything from protuding much deeper than the thickness of the walls of the structural ribbing. Because it's all light stuff, it doesn't need much. I think I only used four screws.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yep, used the very smallest screws and largest washers that I could find to keep anything from protuding much deeper than the thickness of the walls of the structural ribbing. Because it's all light stuff, it doesn't need much. I think I only used four screws.

Looking at my own pic again, it was a few large washers in strategic places, then the screws alone in spots that simply sagged a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I installed my organizer last weekend, and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I used five #8 x 1/2"screws to secure the corners and part of the top edge, all with large washers. I tried to only make my holes in the "raised" areas of the lid, so I could be relatively sure the screws wouldn't hit anything important. Still, it never feels great drilling holes in your car.😬 It looks a bit saggy in the pictures, but I can confirm that it is nice and taut all around. I may add a couple of zip ties to the bottom edge, but this is not really necessary.

I'm surprised and impressed with how well the lid takes weight. In the first picture there's a socket set and a bit driver in the large pocket on the right, and a 30' measuring tape in the center pocket, which together weigh just over 2 pounds. Though it's certainly a bit slower, the lid has no problem popping up to its stop after I press the button to open it. It's unclear how much more it can handle, but I'm sure I'll come up against that limit at some point.

Here's the backseat organizer that I went with, which is currently priced at $23.47. I'd say it's definitely worth the investment. Thanks again to @trekra for the inspiration to use one of these!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts