Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a tool bag that was a little too tall in my trunk, it was flexible so I just pushed the trunk shut....oops. Now my trunk wont open.

I have read about drilling holes, prying the lid up, and other things that will require some repairs afterwards, but what about the bolts in the bed liner?

I saw one thread that involved removing the two bolts in the bed, but no elaboration. Do those little 6mm bolts really hold the lid on? If I do remove those, will I be able to lift my trunk from the rear and try to disengage the lock? And finally, what can of worms will I be opening up by doing this, like will there be cables, springs or wire harnesses that will detach, spring out, or need un-clipping?

Thank y'all Soo much for any info you can give me!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If you haven't already tried: Push down hard (like have someone stand on the lid) to release the upward pressure on the latch & then try the latch again (before removing the downward pressure). See if this doesn't get your latch to work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, yes, I just went and tried it again except with me standing on it (300lbs) instead of my lil nephew. Still wont open. Also took some fast turns and slammed my brakes on trying to dislodge it.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
There are four plug covers in the middle of the bed... the smaller caps.. the large ones hold the bed to the truck..

The four smaller caps can be pry'ed off, exposing a 10 mm bolt.. taking off all four bolts will release the hinges of the trunk to the bed. Carefully you can pry up the back of the trunk... I used multiple screwdrivers and pry bars.. carefull you don't pull up to hard on one end.. you could crack the trunk...

Once pry'ed up you can take a stick and knock what ever is blocking the switch off..

See also....

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41534

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7337

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27208

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26308&highlight=trunk+jam

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Thanks for the reply, yes, I just went and tried it again except with me standing on it (300lbs) instead of my lil nephew. Still wont open. Also took some fast turns and slammed my brakes on trying to dislodge it.
Did you try going downhill and slam on the brakes?

One had success at that... I did not... also if you pry up the back.. it will only go up about 1 inch... about the size of a handle on a screwdriver...

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I've been lucky so far & this hasn't happened to me & boy am I glad. It always seems like a cluster when someone's trunk get stuck.

Hopefully Gen 2 will have a better way to open a stuck trunk.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
When you say pry up the back, you mean after the bolts are undone?
Yes...

The four bolts hold up the hinges to the trunk lid.

Take the four bolts off
Pry up lid (You will only get about an inch)

When the back is pry'ed up .. you can just sneak a broom stick or something similar to knock what is blocking the Emergency trunk latch opener.

It will take two people to reassemble the trunk lid back on... One in the truck holding the deck lid up.. and another align and tighten the bolts up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes...

The four bolts hold up the hinges to the trunk lid.

Take the four bolts off
Pry up lid (You will only get about an inch)

When the back is pry'ed up .. you can just sneak a broom stick or something similar to knock what is blocking the Emergency trunk latch opener.

It will take two people to reassemble the trunk lid back on... One in the truck holding the deck lid up.. and another align and tighten the bolts up.
Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts