Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched around, but I've found only info on left-to-right/front-to-back fitment adjustments.

My trunk does not fit as tightly on the drivers side as it does the passenger side--it's not level--and leaks on the drivers side as well as around the back a bit. The whole lid needs to fit tighter, which I think can be taken care of with a latch adjustment, but what can I do to even out the "height" of each side?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,873 Posts
Makes me wonder if one of the hinges is sprung.

Here's what you've likely already found:

Lid removal/installation:

Hinge replacement:

Latch replacement:

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I hadn't seen the diagram for the hinge replacement. I just came in after loosening the four hinge bolts and pushing the lid around. The alignment is a bit better, but the driver's side is still noticeably higher.

From inside the trunk when the lid is closed (don't ask, haha!), the passenger side closes almost flush with the top of the "lip" around the trunk's edge. The driver's side has about a quarter inch or so of play in it. I got a good look at the hinges and springs, and I can't see anything obviously out of whack or different between them.

I'm going to see if I can get a straight edge and see if the trunk lid itself is bent or warped. The cosmetic aspect doesn't bother me, but the not-so-weatherproof part does.

·
Super Moderator
22,873 Posts
Could the weather strip itself be damaged?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's possible, but there's a good bit of play in the actual movement of the lid. The hard top (bed) side of it is raised more on the drivers side than it is the other. If the trunk is closed and I hope the tailgate (swung out), the edge of the trunk lid with the keyhole is uneven (it's lower on the passenger side).

·
Super Moderator
22,873 Posts
I have no idea what could cause that.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
?? Tweaked by repeatedly forcing it shut with something interfering on one side? (especially at the hinge area)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought it used, so that's a possibility I've considered.

If that's the case, I'm guessing that replacing parts is my only option, right?

·
Super Moderator
22,873 Posts
That would be my opinion. But deciding what needs to be replaced is the question. I think it has to be one or both hinges. I don't know if you can warp the trunk lid itself.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
If a hinge is tweaked, applying some force might un-tweak it. A buddy came over recently and showed me his bed mounted toolbox on his Ford F150. The lid wasn't sealing properly so I proceeded to manhandle it into submission. It now fits as it should.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts