Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Light in Trunk

Got this two days ago from Amazon B01C8BQYFS, a waterproof rechargeable motion-sensing LED light. Came with two-sided 3M adhesive and some screws to use if desired. I used the 3M as a quick install, may get shorter screws and have a more solid placement although the 3M seems to work fine. Seems like a good deal.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,331 Posts
Re: Light in Trunk

That looks like a great part for both 1G & 2G owners.

Let us know how often you end up charging it

Nice find

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts

Great idea! I have some experience with motion sensing LED lights and they work great, it never occurred to me to put one in the RL trunk.

Shortly after moving into our home, I replaced the flimsy mailbox on a post with a large, locking mailbox with a 'trap door'. I bought the mailbox below, brick to match our house and paid a bricklayer to build a substantial mailbox.

https://smile.amazon.com/Architectu...id=1482588611&sr=1-3&keywords=locking+mailbox

The only problem is I can't see into the mailbox at night when I get home and retrieve the mail, so a year ago I bought one of these motion sensing lights and stuck it in the mailbox with industrial velcro.

https://smile.amazon.com/Mr-Beams-M...sr=1-14&keywords=mr+beams+motion+sensor+light

It works great and the batteries last over a year.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

It arrived with a charge, maybe I should charge it to make sure it's full before I see how long it really lasts...

I'll keep you guys updated

·
Registered
471 Posts

Curious, do all versions of the Ridgeline have the 2 side lights in the bed that illuminate when the trunk is open? In my RTL-E I was delightfully surprised at how well I could see inside the trunk at night with these lights and thus far had not considered adding additional lighting.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I believe they do. The photos above have some light contribution from those bed lights, I did replace those with LEDs. One reason an actual in-trunk light would be useful is if the rails of a tonneau cover limited the amount of light reached into the trunk from the bed lights.

·
Registered
220 Posts

I did replace those with LEDs.
I had not checked mine (RTL-E) and just assumed they were LEDs. Do your replacement LEDs provide better/brighter light? Any source information for them? Thanks.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Light in Trunk

I had not checked mine (RTL-E) and just assumed they were LEDs. Do your replacement LEDs provide better/brighter light? Any source information for them? Thanks.

First pic is OEM, there was a bigger contrast in person.

I think they are much better than OEM. I bought them as a set off of eBay. These included ones for the interior and license plate lights as well. However, the plate lights were deemed defective and I had to replace those with some Philips.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Where did you get them? What size batteries are needed?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I went with a COB LED light that I picked up for $3. This one is about 3 1/2 in. square so a little smaller that most that I see on Amazon so it fit into a spot on the trunk lid nicely. Uses (4) AAA batteries. Not automatic so I have to flip a switch to turn it on/off. The light gives great coverage of the entire trunk. A light of this type is necessary especially when you have a tonneau cover and open the trunk without opening the bed cover to any degree. The bed side LED lights are pretty useless in this situation since the trunk lid is restricted more than usual.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
My issue with switched lights was either forgot to turn them off or something else threw the switch. Regardless, each time I turned the lights on the batteries were dead

·
Registered
1 Posts
With motion-triggered lights--won't the constant jiggling of things in trunk keep triggering lights off/on? i.e., batteries will be dead shortly?

·
Registered
433 Posts
My issue with switched lights was either forgot to turn them off or something else threw the switch. Ragardless, each time I turned the lights on the batteries were dead
On Amazon I saw some COB lights that had a 30 minute timer built in. Would shut off after 30. I believe they were a pair for $9.99. Might be a solution for those of us with short term memory loss. Are you sure yours turn off when the lid is closed? I never trusted the light in my refrigerator! :grin:

·
Registered
Silver 2020 RTL-E
113 Posts
I have an idea for getting extra light into the trunk that would tie into the power from the in-bed lights so it would turn on and off with them. After doing some minor investigation and inspection I have a plan but it is going to be a good size project that will require tire removal, bed wall removal, and some wire tapping. I may not get to it until late October but if I do it I will post pics and instructions for anyone interested.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 75 Posts