Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an OxyLED motion sensor LED strip (http://a.co/faL1rQX) under one of my kitchen cabinets that would probably also work quite well for Ridgeline trunk lighting. It's 19" long (they also offer 14" & 7" lengths), low-profile and is held very firmly in place by an adhesive magnetic strip. When motion-activated, it lights for about 15-20 seconds. It charges fairly quickly via standard USB C cable and a full charge lasts months.

Since the trunk area should remain dark even when you're jostling over rougher patches of road, I would suspect that the motion sensor would remain inactivated until you actually open the trunk lid.

Rob O.

·
Registered
140 Posts
With motion-triggered lights--won't the constant jiggling of things in trunk keep triggering lights off/on? i.e., batteries will be dead shortly?

@Griz, would you be willing to do a quick test to see if the jiggling of trunk contents triggers your lights? Could just record a video with your phone (facing up) in the trunk and drive around for a little bit. Thanks!

If I want to access the trunk w/o opening the tonneau, the lid certainly doesn't open enough to let the side lights shine in. I like the motion lights idea, at least for a temporary solution. I'm sure it's do-able to hard wire to the side cargo lights, but haven't taken on that project yet.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
@Griz, would you be willing to do a quick test to see if the jiggling of trunk contents triggers your lights? Could just record a video with your phone (facing up) in the trunk and drive around for a little bit. Thanks!

If I want to access the trunk w/o opening the tonneau, the lid certainly doesn't open enough to let the side lights shine in. I like the motion lights idea, at least for a temporary solution. I'm sure it's do-able to hard wire to the side cargo lights, but haven't taken on that project yet.
I don’t think they see motiion without light. I drive around get out, open trunk and when I move my hand in front of the lights they activate.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Hey @Griz,

I got the same lights from Amazon but the tape does not hold. What did you do to keep it in place?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Hey @Griz,

I got the same lights from Amazon but the tape does not hold. What did you do to keep it in place?
So far mine have stayed on. I've had very good luck with Gorilla double sided tape. Once it's on it's pretty much on.Hardest part is taking off the backing since it's so thin.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
So far mine have stayed on. I've had very good luck with Gorilla double sided tape. Once it's on it's pretty much on.Hardest part is taking off the backing since it's so thin.
Thanks,

I'll get some this weekend and give it a try.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks,

I'll get some this weekend and give it a try.
I put my COB light on with adhesive backed Velcro so I could pull it down when needed to change batteries. Cold weather has arrived and so far the light has not fallen off.

3M trim tape would certainly hold yours on if you can't find the double-sided Gorilla tape. I have never seen it.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I put my COB light on with adhesive backed Velcro so I could pull it down when needed to change batteries. Cold weather has arrived and so far the light has not fallen off.

3M trim tape would certainly hold yours on if you can't find the double-sided Gorilla tape. I have never seen it.
These lights have a magnetic base. The base is what is taped. Then removal of the light is just pull

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Sorry for jumping in so late. Is the lighting for the trunk on the G2 much different from the G1? On or G1 we just increased the intensity (ultra-bright LEDs) of the bed lighting.

Attachments

Reactions: thearborbarber

·
Registered
152 Posts
I used the mercury switched light you have pictured in one of my trucks. I parked my truck on a slope and it activated the lights and killed my battery. Ok if you always can park on level ground

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sorry for jumping in so late. Is the lighting for the trunk on the G2 much different from the G1? On or G1 we just increased the intensity (ultra-bright LEDs) of the bed lighting.
G2 lights on the side are similar to G1. The lack of light is mostly an issue when we can't fully open the trunk lid. The tonneau cover rails prevent full opening. And sometimes I don't even open my tonneau when I just want to quickly reach in to grab something.

On a related note, I do like how the G1 has the upper set of lights. Those would come in handy when the lower lights are blocked by cargo. I've thought about finding small magnetic swivel spot/flood lights to put on the roof when I need additional light, like when camping. Has anyone done something similar?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Reactions: MechE

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
How about a mercury switch like this: Mercury Tilt Switch | eBay

Coupled with a pair of COBs like this: 6Pc Universal COB LED Trunk Light | eBay

Something about having a highly toxic metal in a glass or plastic tube bouncing around in a trunk of a truck just doesn’t sound like a wise idea.

You’d be better using this style if you go with a mercury switch:
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/gr...MI7uXMvPTi1wIVirrACh2BLAu5EAQYBiABEgIZgvD_BwE

Just sayin’ people....there is a reason these switches were discontinued

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
You mean the highly toxic metal in a glass tube we stick in our mouths and butts? ;)

I’m sure it would be alright, unless you hit it directly.

Something about having a highly toxic metal in a glass or plastic tube bouncing around in a trunk of a truck just doesn’t sound like a wise idea.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/gr...MI7uXMvPTi1wIVirrACh2BLAu5EAQYBiABEgIZgvD_BwE

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
You mean the highly toxic metal in a glass tube we stick in our mouths and butts? ;)

I’m sure it would be alright, unless you hit it directly.
Contents in the trunk don't shift around? Just sayin' people used to do a lot of things with toxic material

Doesn't mean it was right. Especially when there are other options available (such as)https://www.bestbuy.com/site/direct...MI5J6zrZ3Q2AIVmVYNCh21LQvXEAQYBCABEgI8pfD_BwE

But hey, it's your health, your truck, and your family.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I feel ya on the safety issue. But $65 vs. $4? Not even a consideration. I could buy the one I posted, drop it into the end of an old marker, fill it with epoxy, and mine would be just as safe. Which wouldn’t even be necessary if you placed the switch inside a rib in the trunk lid, where it would be protected. But as you said, one can never be too safe with mercury.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
21 - 40 of 75 Posts