Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Yes, I realize that. But I am old. I remember breaking them and then trying to pick up the little “BBs” that resulted.
Yep, I'm old too and I remember the same. I also remember my dad having a 5 pound jar of mercury that I played with once or twice. (He was a dentist) STUPID! But I lived.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I went with a COB LED light that I picked up for $3. This one is about 3 1/2 in. square so a little smaller that most that I see on Amazon so it fit into a spot on the trunk lid nicely. Uses (4) AAA batteries. Not automatic so I have to flip a switch to turn it on/off. The light gives great coverage of the entire trunk. A light of this type is necessary especially when you have a tonneau cover and open the trunk without opening the bed cover to any degree. The bed side LED lights are pretty useless in this situation since the trunk lid is restricted more than usual.
I should do this right away lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
A light for the trunk?

I've come to realize that you need to keep a flashlight in the console for two conditions:

1. When driving at night, if I want to adjust the headlights, I can't see a thing where the controls are. The above map lights are useless and a flashlight is necessary.

2. At night, swing open the tailgate and pop open the trunk and...pitch black. No flashlight, may as well close the trunk.

I don't know about #1 but is there a 3rd party that sells a light that would on when the trunk is opened?

Mark

·
Premium Member
2018 RTL-T
315 Posts
Re: A light for the trunk?

There are several threads on here where people have installed lighting in the trunk....they had the same problem you are having.

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Second Generation Ridgeline (2G 2017+) > In trunk lights?

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Second Generation Ridgeline (2G 2017+) > 2G Accessories, Performance Parts & Modifications > Trunk lights

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Second Generation Ridgeline (2G 2017+) > 2G Accessories, Performance Parts & Modifications > Perfect fit trunk LED lights - Install

you may be able to find several more threads, but these were 3 that came up quickly when I did a search. YMMV

Not sure why these won't link, I must be technically challenged today!

·
Premium Member
2018 RTL-T
315 Posts

let's see if this work for links now, must have had a brain fart from work today! What a day it has been!

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...-ridgeline-2g-2017/214064-trunk-lights-2.html

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com.../185153-trunk-lights.html?185153=#post2676665

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...s/158242-light-trunk.html?158242=#post2328946

Hope this helps. I actually went with some rechargeable that I bought on Amazon :

Under Cabinet Lights Closet Lights Motion Sensor 18 LEDs USB Rechargeable Wireless Under Cabinet Lighting,Magnetic Stick On Anywhere LED Night Lights for Closet/Drawer/Cupboard,White Light,2 Pack
by LEPOTEC
4.2 out of 5 stars 731 customer reviews | 128 answered questions
Price: $31.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members

? 3 Modes Adjustable LED Closet Lights: Motion Sensing/Instant On/Instant Off, can be used as normal night light or motion sensor light
? USB Rechargeable and Energy Saving Under Cabinet Lights: built-in 1500mAh high-capacity rechargeable battery, easily charged via the USB cable(included) or power. After full charged, the cabinet light can last for about 8-10 hours under instant on mode and 1-2 months under motion sensing mode.
? 2 Easy Installation Ways: built-in magnet, you can directly make the cabinet light absorb on all iron article surface; Or you can use the included double-sided tape and iron sheet to stick on any non-iron article surface. When need charge or change place,you can take it off anytime
? 2-Year Warranty for This LED Cabinet Lighting: 80000 hours service life with 2-year warranty, so that you should no have any concerns in the use, can contact us when you have any questions at any time, we will give you a replacement or refund
? Wide Applications: this multifunctional cabinet light is ideal for the bedroom, baby room, closet, cabinet, corridor, workshop, basement, garage, stairwell, oil depots, door, garage entrances and other places
› See more product details

·
Registered
554 Posts

@Markg2 Are the ones on each side of the truck bed not lighting up in your rl?

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts

I bought a little stick up led light for the trunk, but the two bed lights offers more than enough light for me to do whatever I need to do. The extra light might be for grabbing all the tire changing crap, plus, since there is a magnet on it, I can stick on the side of the truck (carefully) for lighting up the area for said tire change.

·
Registered
88 Posts

I think the bed lights were lighting up but forget now why they didn't light up the trunk. I'll pay attention next time and get back--

In the meantime, the stickon, motion, led's sound good. Costco usually has a pack of them--I'll check.

Like I said, I'll get back.

Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: Light in Trunk

Great idea! I have some experience with motion sensing LED lights and they work great, it never occurred to me to put one in the RL trunk.

Shortly after moving into our home, I replaced the flimsy mailbox on a post with a large, locking mailbox with a 'trap door'. I bought the mailbox below, brick to match our house and paid a bricklayer to build a substantial mailbox.

https://smile.amazon.com/Architectu...id=1482588611&sr=1-3&keywords=locking+mailbox

The only problem is I can't see into the mailbox at night when I get home and retrieve the mail, so a year ago I bought one of these motion sensing lights and stuck it in the mailbox with industrial velcro.

https://smile.amazon.com/Mr-Beams-M...sr=1-14&keywords=mr+beams+motion+sensor+light

It works great and the batteries last over a year.

That mailbox light is genius! Why on earth hadn't I thought of that instead of having to pull out the small flashlight in my console when I check the mail coming home after dark!

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
147 Posts

This issue has to do mostly with if you have a tonneau cover installed. Most covers will not allow the trunk lid to go high enough for the bed lights to light up the trunk. Installing lights on the trunk lid and wiring it to the bed lights takes care of this. Removable, rechargeable lights are another option.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Thanks, now I remember, it's the tonneau cover that killed off the effect of the bed lights.

Mark

·
Registered
364 Posts

Thanks, now I remember, it's the tonneau cover that killed off the effect of the bed lights.

Mark
That and they don’t even come on when you drop the tailgate-they only come on when you swing it open.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Is that thing still sticking?

I've never had much luck with magnetic stick-on things with a vehicle.

Mark
I ordered these things that he referenced: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XPB98QV

They don't stick well, and they don't last very long. They are also pretty dim.

Not a good solution in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Re: Light in Trunk

I replaced all my lights with Leds except the low beams, the tail lights and the map lights.

Led's can cause static to the radio due to the frequency the voltage transformer causes. Additionally, cars use the entire wiring as the system in modern cars use a Controller Area Network (CAN bus) a vehicle bus standard designed to allow micro-controllers and devices to communicate with each other in applications without a host computer. Because of this the headlights, fog lights and tail lights can cause static on the radio. Additionally, what they call canbus compatible Leds are lights that have the resistor that corrects the frequency in the line so the canbus can flow without problems.

I used HID's on my lowbeams, they can cause static as well but the light itself work better in a projector headlight which is the lowbeam configuration.

FYI - funny as it sounds the wrong led lights can cause your car timing, transmission or other things not to work correctly because of interrupting the canbus transmission though the system.

I had not checked mine (RTL-E) and just assumed they were LEDs. Do your replacement LEDs provide better/brighter light? Any source information for them? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I went easy and cheap -I used one of these, It is an led light with a magnet on the back I just glued and screwed a piece of sheet metal to the underside of the trunk and I can attach this by just opening and stick to the metal. runs on 2- tripe A's I have one for my front door so I can light up the key hole in the locks, had it there now 2 years still on the same batteries. It produces about 25 foot candles so plenty of light for that small area (about what you get in a bright well lit kitchen). Also, added a upper lid inside the trunk that covers the trunk so it is about 8" deep from the top. That way when I open the trunk all you see is the upper lid (plywood with carpet on it) it has a handle and a hook to hold it up when I lift it. When I open the trunk the light is just setting there waiting to be placed.

5 bucks 15 min of work.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
So swing it open, it makes it much easier to access the trunk anyway.
It was simply a point of information to those that might be wondering why or assuming that the lights would/should come on if the drop open the tailgate.

I wasn’t complaining or advocating for one method or another.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts