Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is it easy to splice or hard wire a light to the Bed lights? I think I prefer the light to be on the lid like most have, but if I could put a light on the side or front end and splice it to one of the bed one's it should work. But I don't know if it is easy to do. I know, why spend all this time when you can just use a portable one. I just like to do small projects like this.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Is it easy to splice or hard wire a light to the Bed lights? I think I prefer the light to be on the lid like most have, but if I could put a light on the side or front end and splice it to one of the bed one's it should work. But I don't know if it is easy to do. I know, why spend all this time when you can just use a portable one. I just like to do small projects like this.
It is easy peasy, just takes a little time. I tap for power from the side Lights inside the bed, fished the power wire under the bed fender side and came in thru factory grommet inside bed trunk, hid the wires in the oem wire loom tubing, grounded at one of the oem bolts and done. Don't have to worry about batteries and since the bed lights have a timer, I won't have to worry about killing/draining battery either.

It's a fun a project.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Reactions: MtMan

·
Registered
769 Posts
I just ordered these. They will fit nearly perfectly in the two angled indentions under the trunk lid (assuming the provided measurements are correct). I will take photos when I get them installed. Motion sensor and rechargeable.
Same setup I use. Discussed here:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Same setup I use. Discussed here:

I just read your entire thread. Looks like I made a great decision. I looked at probably 50 different ones before I decided on these. I like the wired method, but I am not going to take the time to do all that. These should work perfectly and will arrive Friday, with my interior LED lamp replacements as well. I already changed out the reverse lamps to LED, now also looking into headlight swaps.

Why did you use the 3M tape to install the magnetic strip? Did you find the included tape was not good enough? I was also wondering if slamming the trunk would drop them off.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Why did you use the 3M tape to install the magnetic strip? Did you find the included tape was not good enough? I was also wondering if slamming the trunk would drop them off.
I also used 3M tape just because I already had some. You can try it with the original tape. The lights have never fallen off so far. I like the convenience of removing them at night if I have a break down or flat to repair.

Reactions: LeXRidge

·
Registered
467 Posts
I also used 3M tape just because I already had some. You can try it with the original tape. The lights have never fallen off so far. I like the convenience of removing them at night if I have a break down or flat to repair.
Yes, they would appear to be handy in many situations! Tomorrow is suppose to be warm and sunny so should be a great day to install them once they arrive.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Finally took a few photos. Here are the new trunk lights and I also changed out the bed lights with LEDs as well. Photos of both.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Sport Crew Cab Pickup AWD - Black
35 Posts
Alternative wire feed through vent, instead of using rubber grommet

Attachments

Reactions: Homeuser and Kevo

·
Registered
396 Posts
If I was in and out of my trunk in the dark more often I would definitely do something like this. I added leds on my old tundra under the tie-down rails and it was great. I got some cheap $15 strips and wired them in to the cargo light circuit. They made it super easy to see everything at night under the tonneau. Don't need to do that with the ridgeline as there are lights in the bed already, but the led strips running down the rails were great. Even after years baking in the texas sun most of the leds still worked and there was more than enough light. I think Honda could easily do a better job with the bed lighting on the ridge, but it's functional enough for me right now.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Sport Crew Cab Pickup AWD - Black
35 Posts
Reactions: Homeuser
61 - 74 of 74 Posts