Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New member here. I recently traded my 2004 Colorado in for a 2010 Ridgeline. Great truck and I am really happy with the purchase overall.

Unfortunately, I am getting a "Trunk Open" error message from time to time (and the trunk is definitely shut) and I am having intermittent cargo light issues (the cargo lights will come on at random times). I am assuming that the two are connected, but I am not 100% sure. Any thoughts? I was thinking it may be a simple short, but I cannot seem to locate the trunk open / closed position sensor (the tailgate sensor is obvious).

Thanks in advance for the help...

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I don't have manual access but I believe the switch in at the bottom right corner of the tailgate and from what your are describing, it is out of adjustment.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
Welcome to the ROC, I think ourfarm09's advice is on the money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response guys. So, is the tailgate sensor linked to the trunk lid sensor? I just assumed there were two separate sensors (but I know what I get when I assume). :)

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Thanks for the quick response guys. So, is the tailgate sensor linked to the trunk lid sensor? I just assumed there were two separate sensors (but I know what I get when I assume). :)
I read your question wrong. I believe the truck open switch is in the latch mechanism. That also actives your cargo lights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I did some digging and found it in the latch. Small piston style sensor activated by a cam when the latch is triggered. Going to try to replace it and see if that fixes the problem. $6 for the part from the local dealer, so it is a small investment. If that doesn't do it, I may turn it over to the dealer for repair.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
479 Posts
I thought my cargo light was coming on randomly when I first got the Ridgeline, then I finally noticed one day that as I slide in or out of the seat my knee will sometimes brush the switch. I wouldn't even notice that contact had been made because the touch was so light, but it doesn't take much to activate it on my truck...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I thought my cargo light was coming on randomly when I first got the Ridgeline, then I finally noticed one day that as I slide in or out of the seat my knee will sometimes brush the switch. I wouldn't even notice that contact had been made because the touch was so light, but it doesn't take much to activate it on my truck...
Ditto for me on this. To correct it I moved the seat back a little.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
The 'cargo light-knee syndrome' is a Ridgeline feature. Does it have any advantages? Not really, it is a nuisance, but probably no other truck has it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thats the info I was looking for! I am looking to put extra lighting in the trunk and wanted it to turn on ONLY when the trunk was open. Everyone had pointed out the obvious tail gate switch. Great Post!

Fred

1 - 10 of 10 Posts