Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have a preliminary picture of the trunk solution and things look promising. I will post of progress pics and some development logs for everyones feedback. Thanks,
Fig

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Yes, confused - what's the problem with the Trunk?
FYI... Fig designed/sells a pneumatic "Hood Prop" for the Ridgeline.

The picture (that either didn't upload to the thread, or one that may be in Fig's mind's eye) would speak 1000 words. ;)

The problem (that I and others have with the trunk lid) is that it's spring-tension is inadequate in keeping it open, while using a bed mat.

Some use a prop to keep it open... some "fold-forward" the mat to remove the load from the lid to allow it to remain open while accessing the trunk.

Fig! Great news that you're investigating this issue! :D

So... is there a pic?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Yes, confused - what's the problem with the Trunk?
after some searching, I found that people who use bed mats have trouble opening the trunk (or it doesnt stay open) with the extra weight of the mat.

I personally dont see the need for a bed mat, but I know some people like to use them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Right on!

Fig - as I stated in the hood prop thread - I'm in Littleton and can try to be available for R&D if needed...

Just saw your question in the Hood prop thread - yes I have a bed mat: Protecta.

·
Registered
268 Posts
after some searching, I found that people who use bed mats have trouble opening the trunk (or it doesnt stay open) with the extra weight of the mat.

I personally dont see the need for a bed mat, but I know some people like to use them.
It keeps large destructive items from sliding around causing damage to the truck bed or the item. I personally love mine. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Right on!

Fig - as I stated in the hood prop thread - I'm in Littleton and can try to be available for R&D if needed...

Just saw your question in the Hood prop thread - yes I have a bed mat: Protecta.
We also have a Protecta bed mat -- it was one of the must-have options that we bought immediately after acquiring the RL. It really does keep things from sliding around.

Right now, we roll it back to open the trunk. I have a length of PVC pipe rattling around in the trunk to use as a prop, but I would be interested in a nicely designed, more functional unit. :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Once again (now happy owner of the "Fig's" hood props) interested in your product when you get it done...good luck!;)

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once again (now happy owner of the "Fig's" hood props) interested in your product when you get it done...good luck!;)
I think I will be able to offer various different strut configurations depending on what you guys hav ein mind for supporting. Since we are talking about various loads. The problem looks to me to be the improper placement of the spring on the levering arm. Its pretty low moment, so the spring is at a disadvantage. I will post up some concepts as soon as I get through them
Thanks, Fig

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I was thinking the same thing Pizza Man.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts

C'mon, Mr FIG! Inquiring minds want to know! :)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The first "option" I bought for my '08 RTL was a bed mat. I'm manic about keeping my autos looking great, so a bed mat was a "must have." And yes, it does weigh the trunk lid down some. So, I got a piece of 30" PVC pipe, painted it black, and put Wal-Mart crutch tips on each end. Makes a perfect prop for the trunk lid. Looks nice, and it stores right next to the spare tire. Looks like it was made for the RL. I also got a Wal-Mart ...black...throw rug that fits perfectly in the bottom of the trunk. Looks like it was made for it. And the cost was $9. So I"m anal....who cares but me.
Tom

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi guys, I am still in the design phase so there are no pics avaiable quite yet. As soon as I have a concept to run by you,i will let you know. Thanks, Fig

1 - 20 of 61 Posts