Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
That's funny...
We use a 2x4 or a rock or a rope or a... hell... we use what ever we can find to hold the door open.
Just kidding.

I can't wait for the Trunk Prop.

Thanks Fig!

Alan

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think the spring that supplies the tension to the trunk lid can be adjusted to increase the tension.
Take a look, and let me know what you think?

Thanks
Vinnie:D

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Sorry guys, I have completely dropped the ball.
I have been in the midst of car dismatling as I have totaled my IS300 and taking it all apart. This is whats left haha.
from this

to this

long story short I mean to get back to this, as soon as I have bandwidth.

Fig

·
Registered
250 Posts
WOW...
You reattached the roof and the body panels to the OEM look!
Oh wait my bad... You are cutting up the car...

By the way... That 4-runner has an interesting spot for it's license plate.
Is that a Fig Relocation Kit?

Just kidding...

Alan

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
Fig, is that REALLY your car? Or is it the ex-wife's court dictated car from a divorce or the ex-girl friends car that you promised to return to "factory spec"?

Oh yeah, what's the latest on the trunk props?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
There is hope guys. I just got a chance to test fit on my buddies RL. I need a few tweaks, but the bracket concept and strut are very close. Just need a few more adjustments.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Fig, It looks like the trunk prop is getting close, and when it is ready, I will most likely be ordering one. I do have a few questions though.

1. Will this also work for those of us with tonneau covers with the rails that don't allow the lid to fully open?

2. With the single strut, will it be strong enough to hold the lid up with the added weight of a bed mat?

3. In the pic it appears that the bottom mount is installed on the spare tire tray. If it is, how sturdy is this mount, and will the bottom have to be removed in order to slide the spare tire tray out?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Fig, It looks like the trunk prop is getting close, and when it is ready, I will most likely be ordering one. I do have a few questions though.

1. Will this also work for those of us with tonneau covers with the rails that don't allow the lid to fully open?

2. With the single strut, will it be strong enough to hold the lid up with the added weight of a bed mat?

3. In the pic it appears that the bottom mount is installed on the spare tire tray. If it is, how sturdy is this mount, and will the bottom have to be removed in order to slide the spare tire tray out?

Thanks!
1. at the moment the plan is the have such a force that it will still bottom out on the tonneau cover rails. I could look into a shorter strut that will limit the travel onto the rails if there is interest.

2. That is the plan. think if it like this...the mechanical constraint is already in place via teh factory mechanism, this is just more force. The lid is pretty structurally ridgid, so things will not flex etc.

3. This looks like the only bolt in location. I can look into others. I had also thought of including an allen wrench and a retainer on the strut to hold it so you could remove it and then swing the tray out of the way when changing a tire.

I am completely open to other suggestions, that is the point of the forum after all.

Fig

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
1. at the moment the plan is the have such a force that it will still bottom out on the tonneau cover rails. I could look into a shorter strut that will limit the travel onto the rails if there is interest.

2. That is the plan. think if it like this...the mechanical constraint is already in place via teh factory mechanism, this is just more force. The lid is pretty structurally ridgid, so things will not flex etc.

3. This looks like the only bolt in location. I can look into others. I had also thought of including an allen wrench and a retainer on the strut to hold it so you could remove it and then swing the tray out of the way when changing a tire.

I am completely open to other suggestions, that is the point of the forum after all.

Fig
Thinking out loud here...

Does the prop have to be so long? It seems that the lid only needs a little bit of help to support the added load of the bedmat...
...realizing that each has his own individual requirement for "lift".

Sorta like looking inside a fridge to see if the light went out when the door was closed but...
How much area in the trunk will be sacrificed for the prop when the lid is closed?

Have you looked into a shorter cylinder design and perhaps a "clamp-on" upper mount - for the curved hinge rail - that could be positioned along it in different locations for different lift requirements? (For example, clamping it at a lower position would take-up less space and might help to prevent any bent struts.)

I realize there are few options for the lower mount location, especially for a no-drilling/bolt-on solution. The driver's side has an area (way up inside - to the left of the spare) where there is a outward-curved area (sort of a "hump") where I tried to locate a mount (temporarily). I think the composite would have to be reinforced, or a mounting plate would have to be large enough to "spread-out" the force of the strut.
I then simply attached the other end of the prop to the exposed end of the spring. I didn't think of a clamp to the hinge-rail at that time.

Anyways, even with the bottom end of the strut just wedged-in at that spot, and with the top-end attached to the spring, the lifting force was adequate, and the entire prop was completely away from anything in the trunk.

I wish I'd taken pics. :eek:
Maybe there's a pic of an empty trunk somewhere here in the ROC...

Thanks again, FIG, for your continued interest in helping to find a solution. :)

·
Premium Member
6,880 Posts
This is Great work in progress Fig! If the quality is anything like your hood prop, you’ve got another winner! Stay on it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The "broomstick" trunk lid holder-opener could be combined with this patented apparatus to serve a dual purpose...

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts

Thanks again, FIG, for your continued interest in helping to find a solution. :)
Empty trunk! HAHA.
You were kidding, right? :D
exA4
BTW; I'm for sure awaiting mine. My hood props are still working perfectly. I'm even getting brave enough to remove the OEM prop.

·
Registered
545 Posts
FIG
Will the hood props fit the later Ridgeline models? They (Ridges) seem to be getting more popular.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
FIG
Will the hood props fit the later Ridgeline models? They (Ridges) seem to be getting more popular.
Thanks
I am not sure haha. That is one of my biggest problems...staying up with new models and donors to test on.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thinking out loud here...

Does the prop have to be so long? It seems that the lid only needs a little bit of help to support the added load of the bedmat...
...realizing that each has his own individual requirement for "lift".

Sorta like looking inside a fridge to see if the light went out when the door was closed but...
How much area in the trunk will be sacrificed for the prop when the lid is closed?

Have you looked into a shorter cylinder design and perhaps a "clamp-on" upper mount - for the curved hinge rail - that could be positioned along it in different locations for different lift requirements? (For example, clamping it at a lower position would take-up less space and might help to prevent any bent struts.)

I realize there are few options for the lower mount location, especially for a no-drilling/bolt-on solution. The driver's side has an area (way up inside - to the left of the spare) where there is a outward-curved area (sort of a "hump") where I tried to locate a mount (temporarily). I think the composite would have to be reinforced, or a mounting plate would have to be large enough to "spread-out" the force of the strut.
I then simply attached the other end of the prop to the exposed end of the spring. I didn't think of a clamp to the hinge-rail at that time.

Anyways, even with the bottom end of the strut just wedged-in at that spot, and with the top-end attached to the spring, the lifting force was adequate, and the entire prop was completely away from anything in the trunk.

I wish I'd taken pics. :eek:

I understand, you want to keep the utility, I can lookinto another method, I am just going for simple initially. I could design a great peice that could work, but no one qould buy it becuase it costs too much to manufacture. I will try to strike a medium, mount i lower perhaps and keep the space. A more ridged lower mount would be better anyway, I am not terribly happy with the spare screw as its a nylon insert anyway.

Fig

41 - 60 of 61 Posts