Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, First post in this group.

First, I have had a 2003 Avalanche since it was built and love the truck and have bulit up around 124K miles on it. It has always been a bit fuel hungry... but the "Green Goblin" has fit my life style and requirements well. I was not going to replace it but with it starting to burn oil and anti freeze (need to replace head gaskets on both sides of the V8), losing the Vent Motor, Windows slowing down, Electric Lock receiver going dead (fobs have tested fine and I can not reprogram the receiver), new tires in the spring, hearing the U-Joints clanking and the final nail, break through rust on the passenger front fender... It was time to start looking. I thought.. 2011-2013 Used Avalanche would fit the bill. Well, anything less then 100k miles was running $29 to 35k for a USED VEHICLE. So I started looking at new vehicles.

My requirements are not to tough. My volunteer work is running a Volunteer radio station in the Dayton Ohio area. We do sports broadcasting of a local high school for multiple sports. Being able to carry 2-3 additional full size adults and out equipment and personal gear was easy in the Avalanche. I do tow a small camper (~1500 lbs), Mulch, Tress and yard waste, my Riding Lawnmower to take care of some aging family members, etc. As always....home supply stores, bulk items, parade use, etc. means a truck bed is nice to have. I could put that all off on someone else but I am a large guy. 6 foot tall, 280 lbs and like the space in my current ride.

Sooo... long story to a quick question. Chevy/GM has some good discounts and prices. test drove a Silveradro 1500 Crew Cab short box... Too much metal on the nose. Corners were tough to gage and just felt more like driving a brick then a vehicle I would enjoy in town. Colorado / Canyon were not bad but rear seat room was lacking when I was in a comfortable driving position and the plastic "box" under the rear seats took up way too much room. I was also VERY disappointed in the fit and finish of both models. Gaps, mis-aligned panels, missing calk and paint in places that would rust (even with a bed liner). Just did not thrill me.

Toyota, too much metal and bounce in the ride.

Now the Honda Ridgeline... I fell in love with the truck. Test drove a RTL as it was the main one on the lot that had what I wanted. Dealer has 2 trucks on the way in. Both the Red (what I want). One the RTL-T, one the RTL-E. and I have a deposit on the "E".

Price has me wondering if I need the E. I am 57... figure with how I drive a vehicle fir 12-16 years it may be my last new vehicle or at least truck. What are the thoughts on T vs. E trim package?

Also, I am not impressed with the OEM hard cover and am worried about the non-locking of the tailgate. Radio station gear MAY fit in locking trunk if I am careful.

Thanks All.... Wish me Luck.... Hawk

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,434 Posts
I think you said it when you mentioned that this could be your last vehicle. As many get older, driving can become more challenging; night vision issues, reaction times, attention to details, etc. The RTL-E has some interesting electronic driver's aids that could save your life if you were ever distracted or impaired in some way. Knowing how long Hondas last and if you can afford it, I would get the RTL-E in your situation.

Good luck on making your decision and welcome to the ROC.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think you said it when you mentioned that this could be your last vehicle. As many get older, driving can become more challenging; night vision issues, reaction times, attention to details, etc. The RTL-E has some interesting electronic driver's aids that could save your life if you were ever distracted or impaired in some way. Knowing how long Hondas last and if you can afford it, I would get the RTL-E in your situation.

Good luck on making your decision and welcome to the ROC.
I have to agree with the above statement. We just picked up our RTL-E. Some of the top reasons we went for the E was all of the driver's aids (we're both 65) and the memory seats. My wife and I have "completely different" seating positions.

And as you mentioned, you're the kind of owner who keeps the vehicle for the long haul. You might as well get the full benefit from the all of the options the RL has to offer. As far as the tailgate and bed cover, the 2017 RL is relatively a new offering. No doubt there will be all kinds of aftermarket accessories available very soon. I myself am waiting for a roll top cover that allows the trunk lid to open to it's full height.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Max, McChizzle,

Thank you both for the reply. Max, saw your thread on the pain in the trade in. Even though I know it wont be the same thing, I will have a hard time giving up my 2003 Green Avalanche Z. It has hauled people to so many high school football and basketball games to do the broadcast. IT has truly been the best configuration I could have asked for at the time I bought it. I am hopeing that the Ridgeline will be able to give me something more to cheer at.

If I follow through on my deposit on the Scarlet RTL-E, I will let you all know. I am pouring through this forum (like I use to the Avalanche one) for tricks, things to look out for, etc. Looking at all my tools and items I keep in the Avalanche side saddles (I will miss them, even with the RL Trunk) I am trying to come up with a "Load Plan" (ok... I am an Engineer and I over think at times... lol).

Thanks all... Have a great Holiday!

Hawk

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
As the others have pointed out, I can highly agree with the sentiment to purchase the E. Now in my 60's, I've found all of the safety features to be fantastic and helpful, especially when driving at night and a little tired.

Keep us informed about your red E...looking forward to your impressions.

We owned a blue '03 Avalanche and loved it.....took it on many a long trip and loved the ride and power, and the versatility. You will love the RL, too!

·
Registered
179 Posts
wish my dealer had an E coming. Has BE and 2 Ts. I want the E also for above mention reasons also. I am in my vehicle over 30k miles a year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm also trading in an original owner Green 2003 Avalanche! Expect to close on an Forrest Mist RTL-T AWD on Nov. 30. Remember the ad, "Change for a dollar" on the Avalanche? Has been a great vehicle for pulling the Boy Scout trailer for many camping trips but the boys are grown up and don't need to pull that much weight anymore and wanted something more fuel efficient. When VW announced that they were buying back my '12 diesel Jetta Sportswagen I started searching for a new vehicle and have settled on the Ridgeline. Looked seriously at the GMC Canyon Diesel but hated the rear seat area and "tight" feeling in the Front. I've been lurking here many months learning about the RT and finally joined today. I too will miss all of the tools stored in the side pockets of the Avalanche. Cleaned them all out yesterday. It brought back many memories.. kind of like the new Subaru ad.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,434 Posts
I'm also trading in an original owner Green 2003 Avalanche! Expect to close on an Forrest Mist RTL-T AWD on Nov. 30. Remember the ad, "Change for a dollar" on the Avalanche? Has been a great vehicle for pulling the Boy Scout trailer for many camping trips but the boys are grown up and don't need to pull that much weight anymore and wanted something more fuel efficient. When VW announced that they were buying back my '12 diesel Jetta Sportswagen I started searching for a new vehicle and have settled on the Ridgeline. Looked seriously at the GMC Canyon Diesel but hated the rear seat area and "tight" feeling in the Front. I've been lurking here many months learning about the RT and finally joined today. I too will miss all of the tools stored in the side pockets of the Avalanche. Cleaned them all out yesterday. It brought back many memories.. kind of like the new Subaru ad.
If the Ridgeline ends up not being a truck to your liking, check out the Ram Box in the Ram 1500. It looks like it has more storage space than the Avalanche's side pockets; but it is a bigger truck than the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I test drove a RAM. Not thrilled with the fit and finish and really don't want that big of a truck. I don't need to carry a lot of tools. I expect to close on a RTL-T in two days. Have deposit on a RTL-T AWD in Forrest Mist which came into the dealership today. Just need to negotiate on price and trade-in.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks All... Geoscouter... Yea.. I have cleaned out my Avalanche... and to be truthful, still having some second thoughts. That truck gave me a lot of capability. BUT, I am starting to get "Lace" rust through on the front fender wells. Burning oil and Anti Freeze, (I know its a head gasket issue), Door receiver does not work anymore (Fobs are good) and a large list of little things. While it only has under 125k miles, it has lived outdoors and a lot of time at the airport parking lot!. Used it to teach 2 kids how to drive (If they could drive the Green Goblin, they could drive anything smaller!!)

I have been looking at the tailgate mod for locking. Kinda scared of that and a locking cover together. Have had the handle break on the Avalanche, crawled thorough the midgate and was able to get the tail gate to drop.

I need to look... I think I may have one of the Change for a Dollar video somewhere...

Life moves on!!

Again... Thanks all....

Hawk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts