Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Never been a fan of repaired damaged vehicles... "Let it burn, protect the surrounding" is the best suggestion I have ever heard regarding fires... Living in California, it seems to me, that's what Fire Professionals do all the time... Contain it, and let it burn itself out
Ever seen a vehicle get totalled out only to have the insurance depreciate your vehicle to a laughable amount. I’ve seen a number of cases where someone’s vehicle has gotten totalled and the payout wasn’t near enough to replace the vehicle. All of this is situational there would be cases when it would make sense to just stand back and stay safe. There are also cases when you might be able to prevent a small problem from becoming a pricey catastrophe. $100 fire extinguisher is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead.

Great discussions here on extinguishers in general, but has anyone found a good mounting place and method of mounting inside the cabin?

My uses would be in case of a small engine compartment or cabin fire as well as a secondary use as an emergency extinguisher in the outdoors. Once a fire crosses a certain threshold, I'm a firm believer in grabbing some marshmallows and letting it burn.

·
Registered
'07/'12/'17 Ridges sold to family/friend. Still see them regularly :)
210 Posts
I have an Element mounted in all of my vehicles. I mounted them on the seat adjuster or rail (depending on power seats or not). It keeps them literally at hand in case of an emergency.

I got to test their effectiveness on my all original '29 Woody about a year ago when it had an under dash fire. That is not good in any vehicle. But, even worse when the gas tank is mounted on the firewall with a gas gauge that fills with gas to read. Of course, being a Woody, I could have roasted marshmallows if it went up. :eek:

Anyway, it was very effective in putting it out. It is also harmless to electronics and leaves no residue. I Like that it has a roughly 50 seconds discharge vs a 5-10 second small fire extinguisher. Plus you do not have to hold a trigger to use. So, you can drop (or prop) it in place and walk away to call for help. They also never expire.

Automotive lighting Asphalt Cylinder Gas Font

(I completely stripped the Woody of all wiring and rewired it after the fire for anyone who was concerned :D )

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Personally, if my Ridgeline catches on fire, I hope it burns to the ground and doesn't cause any other damage. That's why I am insured. Off-road vehicles should always carry an appropriate fire extinguisher to prevent collateral damage such as a wildfire.
My thought too. I can't remember the last time I saw a vehicle on fire - 1980s?

·
Registered
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi, 1951 Dodge M37 oh ya and the wife's 2019 Honda Ridgeline Black ⚫️
37 Posts
I have a vehicle that requires a fire extinguisher (and first aid kit)on it, used to have it mounted but due to the rough roads we live in it would not stay mounted. So I have a gear bag with Fire Extinguisher, first aid kit and survival gear. What ever vehicle is going on a trip gets the gear bag. I personal have never had to use a Fire ext. on my vehicles but have used it on others including the first aid kit that we ended up leaving at the scenes. The survival gear is due the long distances we live from anywhere, never have had to use it but know of people that never made it because they were not prepared. Also we bring tools and have had to use them before but again mostly to help others.

·
Registered
2020 Sport AWD
132 Posts
I saw two rigs on fire on I95 this past weekend while travelling to Tampa from Virginia Beach and back. One on the way down and another on the way back. Two separate rigs before someone asks if I'm sure it was two different fires.

When I lived in New Orleans a few years ago, car fires were a regular occurrence around tax season. The coincidence was uncanny.

·
Registered
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi, 1951 Dodge M37 oh ya and the wife's 2019 Honda Ridgeline Black ⚫️
37 Posts
You should see what happens to a snowmobile that catches fire. There's usually nothing left but a burned spot on the snow. They burn to nothing.
You are so right .. all off-road vehicles need to have a Fire Ext. with that said I do not have them on my quads :unsure:

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
Here's a Ridgeline Gen 2 fire post from last year:

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Here's a Ridgeline Gen 2 fire post from last year:
I suppose anyone experiencing something like that would take precautions. We are the sum of both our experiences and our risk assessment.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts