Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been posted already, but the official TSB number for the whistling windshield noise is 05069. I do not have a copy of the TSB in front of me at this time, but I will get one at my next trip to the dealer.

I called Jason Keenan at Honda Corporate Customer Care, who had contacted me about this issue previously based on comments I had made in my customer satisfaction survey. Jason is no longer with Honda, but his replacement provided me with the TSB number.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Windshield noise is not a TSB but it is an official memo to all Dealers and is now a 12 page diagnostic and repair guide. I go in tomorrow for first service and I will attempt to get a copy of this memo to share with all. Let's see if the service department shares it with me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dealership performed that TSB and it still didn't fix the problem. So they put in a whole new windshield along with new moldings and seals. That lasted about 2 days, now the whistling noise is back in the same spot. I have another appointment in a week to have this redone again, hopefully this time they will get it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just took my truck in for the "foam in the seal" fix. They mentioned that if this doesn't fix it, the next step is a new windshield. Well, it's still there. The problem is, it's intermitant. Every time I take it in, it doesn't do it but as soon as I go on a 300 mile trip, it drives me crazy:mad: . When I get some free time, I'll get the new windshield. Thanks for the TSB number.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I just posted my this morning's noise repair attempt failure on another thread a few minutes ago and hearing how the windshield replacement did not fix your problem, I think I made the right decision to not have the windshield redone on mine. I will try to do some additional foam stuffing on my own using the instructions on the 05-069 Service Bulletin the service guy gave me. I don't really have any high hopes that this fixes the noise. The molding design on this truck is just too sloppy to "fix" this problem and I am fearing that the noise is just a part of the Ridgeline "experience". I walked around the dealership and looked at how the molding was fitted on a half dozen other Ridgelines and there are varying levels of misfits on all of them. This type of design flaw is just not going to be fixed with some foam stuffed into a crack, but I will try to do some more to see if a little relief can be achieved.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
BillB said:
I just posted my this morning's noise repair attempt failure on another thread a few minutes ago and hearing how the windshield replacement did not fix your problem, I think I made the right decision to not have the windshield redone on mine. I will try to do some additional foam stuffing on my own using the instructions on the 05-069 Service Bulletin the service guy gave me. I don't really have any high hopes that this fixes the noise. The molding design on this truck is just too sloppy to "fix" this problem and I am fearing that the noise is just a part of the Ridgeline "experience". I walked around the dealership and looked at how the molding was fitted on a half dozen other Ridgelines and there are varying levels of misfits on all of them. This type of design flaw is just not going to be fixed with some foam stuffed into a crack, but I will try to do some more to see if a little relief can be achieved.
I replied to your post on the other thread...the windshield replacement fixed my wind noise.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I am not ready to go for the full replacement as I have had a bad experience in the past with a very sloppy windshield job, but I am glad to hear that something out there fixes the problem. It is likely that the windshield itself was not the problem, but that removing all the trim and doing a better job of replacing the rubber and plastic moldings were what really caused your fix to take effect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honda engineering needs a better windshield whistle fix!

I just had the foam fix done on my ridgeline and it dosn't work. I next step I was told is the windshield removal. From ROC board feed back, it is clear that this is not the fix either. I am not going to allow Honda to remove my windshield. However, I feel they should re-engineer the window molding and test it before they hack up our vehicles. This is a problem that affects a lot of vehicles and it should be corrected the proper way. The fix should be wind tunnel tested. Another thing, do the vehicles that have this problem also get lower MPG's. It seems to me that this problem could cause an aerodynamic drag. I think I might try a test. Seems to me like there are a lot of sharp edges up there. After driving in the rain the other day, I noticed that there were water marks in the same area that the sound comes from. I think I will duct tape the top of my molding and go for a test ride and see if the sound stops. If not we all need to send a group letter to Honda for a better fix in lieu of windshild replacement.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
JohnNH, when we started discussing this wind noise many months ago, the guys with the problem first did indeed tape off their entire windshield areas to try and isolate the noise area and this proved where the noise was coming from. I'd stay away from Duct tape as that could ruin your paint job, regular old masking tape will do the trick. And I am completely in agreement with you and how this offered TSB fix is a rediculous approach to the problem if they are not going to end up with a clean molding line as that is what will truly end the noise. In one of the videos I saw recently on the forum, Gary Flint talks about how much effort his team went through to make the truck quiet, and to see that video only made me more pissed at this design flaw.

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Paul,
Thanks for posting the link to the TSB. I have already had my windshield replaced, but the noise returned. I am going to take this whole thread in to the service guy and see what they can do.:mad:
Again, Thanks!

Hondacop

I still love my truck!:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have had 3 windshields replaced and the noise is back. I have had my RL in twice for the creaking steering wheel issue and the creaking is back. I contacted an attorney today because of these annoying issues that have not been fixed. I am no longer willing to take my truck in every couple of months just so they can put a band-aid on it and make me go away for a few weeks.

-RTL
:(

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well, my windshield was just replaced because of the windnoise problem and guess what??? Still have the noise. At least I got a new windshield out of the time spent....:eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had my windshield replaced (after the fix didn't work) about 9 months ago now and so far, so good. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
So older RL's has noise from the Windshield that was repaired by following the TSB # 05069. One could assume that all RL's manufactured after the TSB was released would be free of the wind noise.
A friend purchased a 2013 RL that was wind noise free. Her windshield got cracked and was replaced with a Honda Windshield. Now she has the dreaded windshield noise. I suggested she bring a copy of the TSB to the dealer for them to apply the fix, and she did. The dealer said that the TSB fix was for previous years RL and didn't apply to 2013. They also said they couldn't find a problem with her new windshield install.
My questions....

Was something changed in the RL design or Honda windshield design after the TSB to fix the wind noise on newer RL's?

Should the TSB fix still apply to newer RL's that had the original windshield replaced?

Was the fix for frame/molding design or maybe just positioning of the replacement windshield?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Safelite put two in mine back in 08. The first two were loud. Finally they bought a $132 kit from Honda and that made it much better. Honda didn't think there was anything wrong with any of mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts